Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

56 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Even though the pattern is crazy simple, I still mess up the end of the increase row somehow. I think I frog 2 rows for every 3 I put in. Not the pattern's fault.  Just me not thinking.  I thought I posted my progress, but maybe not, so here it is... I worked on it at my quilt club. No cats. Someone's quilt book snuck into the picture. 

image.jpeg.ee020bea9f4160db3a7ee0c022972471.jpeg

I love this - it makes me think of grape leaves. 

I know they aren't that colour but grapes are and they have leaves :rofl  (I kill myself sometimes )

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Linda!! Hope you are doing well. 

Darski, lol I never thought of grapes. I am actually worried that when the rows start to have two (or more) colors, I am not going to like this and find myself wishing I had used a solid colored yarn like yours. 

My last foster kitten got adopted today so maybe I can do a little more crocheting now. He was such a doll, but a really great couple adopted him, so it was a good day. We have some company coming in about a week, so we will be taking a break from fostering right now. 

Hi Denise

doing well as can be expected,some days lighter than others.

Do you have cats of your own? or just the foster kitties,one of the authors I read,her daughter does dog fostering,one dog stole her heart,and he is referred to as the foster fail,cute little guy,called mini cooper

We have 4 cats. Pooh, my oldest who started me on the path of volunteerism. Dickens and Sunshine, both foster failures and now Panda.  He was mom and dad's cat. Dad never liked him and after mom passed, they didn't get along at all. So, he's ours now! 

My husband and I both had dogs growing up and I am actually allergic to cats. We have 9 hospital grade air cleaners in our house  to keep me from having problems! We have fostered over 100 kittens. 

Glad you are doing well. I always worry when people don't stop in. Even if they don't have any show and tell, it's nice to hear from our friends. 

okay I'll stop by more often,I haven't done much with yarn for months now,tried my hand at the stockings,ummm pretty slow going for me.

just recently did a 12" square,I'm so out of practice,it seemed like forever to get it to the whole ruler length.

mil is living more and more in the moment,for some reason lately she has been thinking she is working at a school,she never worked at a school,she mostly worked as the cook in different NY  deli's,son in law is needing more and more care,alot of suctioning,at least she is able to keep up his exercises,and we are not dealing with rubber-band legs,it was so hard to get him into the car for awhile,anyway thats whats going on at casa-burke

Linda, sounds like you are still dealing with a a lot. How odd that your MIL thinks she's a teacher. Maybe she wanted to be one. Who knows what is deep in our brains. 

Here is my shawl after one Sweet Roll. I think the pattern gets lost a bit. Probably would look better in a solid color. But I will keep going on this one. 

image.thumb.jpeg.df2e04ecd2abd7a9a0400aa7d133bc2b.jpeg

Darski, a co-worker came in to see me today and told me he'd been on vacation in Canada the last 10 days. So I said "oh, you were there for the sesquicentennial". He seemed impressed that I knew about the celebration. Lol, I did not give away my secret. Just let him think I pulled that word out of the depths of my basic vocabulary!! 

He said that Canucks seemed to celebrate with fireworks, dinner out, etc. He said he did not see any parades, but lots of fireworks. And now he's home for ours! He said he had a wonderful time there.

incidentally, living in the metro Phoenix area is kind of a bummer as far as fireworks go. It's always so dry and there are burn hazards everywhere (fields, backyards of empty homes), so personal fireworks have been banned here for a long time.  Can't even use sparklers here. I don't know how my parents managed when we were kids, but the thought of going to a jam packed venue to watch fireworks that don't start until 9pm and then getting home through a grid-lock of cars after a few hours in the heat just to get up for work the next day does not appeal to me as an adult.  Even though I'd trade fireworks for a Christmas tree any day. So...now I watch the fireworks on tv and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Boo. My brother lives in D.C. The fist July after I am retired, I'm making him take me to the mall for the big show!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, sorry I have been such a lousy CAL hostess, but work has been absolutely kicking my butt. I do, however, have a few things to show you. I "finished" the paw print scarf (read: I used up all of the yarn I had and don't know what color or brand it was). It's going to be for a kid, but it's cute, so that's ok. 

Has it been too hot to crochet or too hot to go outside, so you might as well stay in and crochet? We've had a few monsoons and a microburst hit out neighborhood last night. Dozens of trees down just on our block. Luckily, not ours. Some of our friends lost roof tiles and had water damage. So it goes during monsoon season in Phoenix. 

just some stuff I have completed:

cornflower1.jpg.681a750d6fa156602c452d634c7cad0e.jpg

peony1.jpg.0465491f13f4eeb77a175da45047af47.jpg

yelw2.jpg.692773496bdcac8b35d61c113ec7ae94.jpg

and finally my green leaf shawl:

green.jpg.ffb98f626a55b873429799d294826c96.jpg

I've been working on lots of stuff but getting pics and posting has been the challenge.

Prayers and best wishes to all :ghug

Thanks Linda.  Sometimes you just have to hang on and lower your expectations for a while. That's how the last few weeks have been for me. Summer is always depressing to me. Some people hate the winter because it gets dark so early, but the heat just beats me down. I am grateful that we don't usually have much humidity.

And don't you love how Darski says "meh, some stuff". Very nice projects as always. I love the pink and green set. That is super duper cute.  I like the look of the green shawl. Solid color is sure the way to go with that.  The long side does look sturdy. I think you said you were going to add 2 double crochets on the ends. How do you like it? Does it feel ok?  Of course the blanket you designed is beautiful. I still have my two little blocks...waiting. I need to set aside the green and yellow so I don't lose track. I'm going to make the flowers different colors but I want to keep the yellow and green the same. 

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

Oh, here is the scarf. It's about 48" so it will really only work for a kid. But that's ok!

I love this.  good colour.  I keep thinking mine is finished but it isn't yet.  (It's on the list :rofl  )

Darski, you've done all of that since June 20th when you posted your last pictures?  Your fingers must fly! 

The center of the blue ghan looks a little different to me. Is that another pattern or do you just wing it now. Love how you find ways to make things that are adorable for little boys!!

Do you have any more boy doll clothes going? I remember you got a boy doll several months ago. 

Darski everything is so pretty.  I cant decide on a favorite.  Love the afghan and the reason behind you making it.  Your use of those shades of pink and green and then the shades of blue and green are just stunning.  I really like the nautical accents added to the blue set.  The yellow set looks very elegant.  I really like the way your green leaf shawl looks too.

babypoohsmom I like your pawprint scarf.  Its one of those patterns that I have filed away to try someday. Like you I find the summer heat oppressive.  We just got thru an excessive heat stretch with temps breaking 100 and with humidity factored in the heat index was 116.  Temps are lower today but humidity is so high it doesnt really feel any better out.

Hi Brenda, thanks for dropping in to say hi and commiserating with me about the heat. Blech.

So, I tried to add a pink flower to my small garden. But, what? Did I use the wrong size hook? I almost always use a J.  What do you think of me using the large square for the center of a little lap blanket? 

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6446f2444a4e404673cebefc24d953.jpeg

I get squares like that if my tension is off,I usually crochet very loose,but here lately trying to get a square to size is a challenge.

I just wanted to mention we got the crocheted nests out to the VBSPCA wildlife, they have only been hanging around here for about three yrs,when everything here took a nose dive,but anyway 50 crochet birdnests,got a nice e-mail back from them,that they were much appreciated

Ok, here is the little lap blanket I made. I think it's a perfect size for a wheelchair. I need to go back and look...I thought someone in this group was trying to make gifts for people in her mom's nursing home.  I put it in the wash once and it's much softer. Maybe one more go-around and it will be perfect. I use wool dryer balls and they really help to soften things up.

image.thumb.jpeg.339c0ee2e8213fcc063877870451c9d5.jpeg

9 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Ok, here is the little lap blanket I made. I think it's a perfect size for a wheelchair. I need to go back and look...I thought someone in this group was trying to make gifts for people in her mom's nursing home.  I put it in the wash once and it's much softer. Maybe one more go-around and it will be perfect. I use wool dryer balls and they really help to soften things up.

I love that one. my square has never looked better :manyheart

a butterfly kisses dress. I can't figure out why mine never look like the pattern pics.  However - I love this one.

I need to add some stuff to make a set. I can make a white blankie I suppose :think

bk2.jpg.5fa3837a9243ba062266822bb486db8d.jpg

I so love this daisy ghan so I have this one and I've started another one. 

I found a way to make the petals fatter and used the method for the blue one I'm making now

pd01.jpg.0c0d0aef8d62440bb0ea7e0a3c23b19b.jpg

pd02.jpg.3cf0fdf2aeb3be111ddc724f6a470b89.jpg

I did separate posts for each as I still find this photo system a challenge

Archived