Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Hello.

Last time I joined this thread I didn't do a very good job of keeping up with the posts or my charity projects but I'm going to try it again. I have a tub of squares that I've started putting together for lapghans for a local nursing home. I've completed one lapghan and have another one started.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, funny how everyone came along at some point and kept the Boxing Day spirit going. When I joined the 'Ville, someone had a Charity Blitz weekend once a month, but often it didn't work out to be a good weekend for my schedule, so that's how I found this one that went year round!

I've asked this before but does anyone remember a lady who went by "granny blanket factory" or something? She lived in England with her very senior mom who was mostly blind, but made the most amazing granny square afghans for charity. She very abruptly disappeared and I always wondered what happened to her. When I was a mere "lurker" she gave me the courage to join up and post my pathetic early projects.

Now I don't know what I would do without the motivation from you wonderful gals!

Welcome back cshort! Good job getting one ghan put together already.

Darski, have you put the colors out on the floor and given them a good lookie see? I like red, white and black. Red, white and blue might seem too (dare I say?) American? I know we don't own RW&B, because we have to share it with France and Russia and about a dozen or so other countries, but we seem to be flashier with our colors than a lot of other countries. In fact, I was in Germany just after the men won the World Cup and asked my friend why people didn't fly their flag with pride? She just said "Germans don't really do that". She wasn't sure why. I was going to make her a scarf with red, black and yellow and she shuddered at the garishness of wearing the colors of her flag in such a way. But anyway, since the big, gorgeous project is supposed to honor your country's birthday, in the end, it has to be what makes you happy and proud!

I have done a big zero the last two days. I have several projects stacked up at work and the month is going to be hectic, but maybe I can match your hat a day with a hat a week. Like you, I wouldn't bet the rent, but if I don't make a goal at all, I surely won't reach it. I currently have two started but want to ditch both of them to do the Divine pattern again now that I have seen yours.

I had a very lazy but productive day yesterday, I put together 4 more lapghans. I have enough squares for one more and then I'll go back to working on motifs or the round ripple preemie blanket I have started.

It's possibly a bit of a cheat but my 5th hat was a child-sized ear warmer.  I'm still counting it as a hat for my 5 for 5 count. :rofl

OK, ok... I won't keep counting them; that gets boring in a hurry.

I'm just pleased that I can finish something in a day. (takes all day but it is done  :eek  )

Hey, an ear warmer counts as a "hat" to me. I have never crocheted one before, just knitted some on the knitting machine and embellished with crocheted flowers. 5 for 5 is awesome. I suppose if my Addi was always working well. I could easily make a hat a day, but my machine is fussy and sometimes I get soooo close to a finished hat and I get a bad stitch that I can't fix.

I sat and watched tv tonight for about 2 hours and was so tired that I didn't pick anything up to work on. What regret!!

But I when I realized how much time I wasted, I started working on another hat! It should be done by Sunday for my week #2 hat.

Has anyone ever crocheted socks? I found a video tutorial last night but it was 1:15 long, so I have not watched it yet. It's by that guy named Mikey and something about his videos just bug me...I'm not sure what it is, so I'm not sure I can get through an hour with him.

I have done crocheted socks and I love them.  I use them more as bed slipers as mine are too thick to just be socks.  We did a sock CAL here years ago.

I have always found Mikey to be a very good teacher.  His instructions are very clear.  (I could never do the peppermint throw without his vids)  I think maybe his swelled head now gets in his way IYKWIM

He became famous and then...

question time:  I found this pattern and just love it.

It is made in crochet cotton; do you think I could get away with Sport weight yarn and still get the effect. 

SW is a good bit thicker than fine cottons but I so love the pattern.  my problem is that I tend to lose my objectivity when I really want something to work my way.

a ch 49 is supposed to be only 6 inches. :eek ... guess I need to find some SW and just test the beg ch. :think

It's so hard to fall in love with an older black and white photo (for me, obviously not for you). I get annoyed when I have to print a pattern in B&W! Lol, so I give you credit for seeing the beauty there.

I almost always use #4 (worsted) or heavier so I am not a good person to answer up. I'm guessing you are half done already though!!

I finished my week #2 hat today and worked on the C2C ghan and forgot to make my cat toy, gotta catch up tomorrow and get a picture of the hat. Tomorrow is also the 2nd day of NFL playoffs and the Packers play, so I hope I am not too on edge to get some crochet done. Sometimes I sit there holding it but get too punchy to get any work done!!

It's so hard to fall in love with an older black and white photo (for me, obviously not for you). I get annoyed when I have to print a pattern in B&W! Lol, so I give you credit for seeing the beauty there.

I almost always use #4 (worsted) or heavier so I am not a good person to answer up. I'm guessing you are half done already though!!

I read thru the pattern and I'm afraid that it wouldn't work in anything more that CC.  it is one small collar and then a larger version of the same pattern just pulled thru to form the bow effect.  I might give it a try but I would hate for it not to work out.

so far I have my 7 baby hats but I have run out of steam on my calling Canucks project.  Your mention of a c2c ghan does rather tempt me though.

Well Darski, I'm sure if someone else was working on that same pattern, you would be more inspired. That is a big project to tackle!

I'll bet you can do a C2C in your sleep. I find the repetition comforting, not boring. I am at the end of the second skein right now and I think I am going to go ahead and use all 6 skeins, so I will increase the size by one more.

Cshort, I really like the brown ghan in the top left picture. I like them all but I always like to see what draws my eye! I still have not tried wheelchair bags. Lol, I recently found out that my estimated retirement date is 8-1-2022...I think I need to start taking better care of myself....I've got lots on my retirement list.

I got out for a short bike ride today, but didn't get the laundry all done. It's a trade off I will take. Also forgot to get a good picture of my week 2 hat until just now, so here it is....

post-13802-0-85889800-1483933107_thumb.jpeg

Well Darski, I'm sure if someone else was working on that same pattern, you would be more inspired. That is a big project to tackle!

I'll bet you can do a C2C in your sleep. I find the repetition comforting, not boring. I am at the end of the second skein right now and I think I am going to go ahead and use all 6 skeins, so I will increase the size by one more.

Cshort, I really like the brown ghan in the top left picture. I like them all but I always like to see what draws my eye! I still have not tried wheelchair bags. Lol, I recently found out that my estimated retirement date is 8-1-2022...I think I need to start taking better care of myself....I've got lots on my retirement list.

I got out for a short bike ride today, but didn't get the laundry all done. It's a trade off I will take. Also forgot to get a good picture of my week 2 hat until just now, so here it is....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thank you. I like the hat.

I'm just finishing my 11th (on the 11th) hat for 2017 and I have made a sweater to match the yellow one.  I'm working on a blanket in yellow and white to finish the set.

It doesn't sound like much but it gives me hope and heart.

Love the hat Cindy! Did you make up the pattern or is it something I can look up? I like hat patterns and I don't think I've tried that one.

Darski, a hat a day plus a sweater and a blanket sounds like a lot to me! I know you are used to a busier pace, but I am glad to know that your hands are letting you get something done each day!

I did my cat toy and a few rows (including a skein switch) on my C2C tonight. Time for bed now.

well I always think of baby hats as little pretend projects :rofl

and I have had this blanket on the go for weeks now and it's only a foot across. (it's a square)

but I appreciate your encouragement. :ghug

I'm just finishing my 11th (on the 11th) hat for 2017 and I have made a sweater to match the yellow one.  I'm working on a blanket in yellow and white to finish the set.

It doesn't sound like much but it gives me hope and heart.

It sounds like plenty to me..even if it's baby hats.

Archived