Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What lovely sets! I don't believe I have ever seen you make so many! And if I remember, you had a slow start this year because of a problem with your hands. I am a huge fan of purple, so of course I just love that one.  Your projects always inspire me. I can't help picturing a little baby all dolled up and precious. 

Here is hat #30. I have never made a traditional elf hat, but I like to make these sort of understated Santa hats.  I also made this headband. The hardest part about the headbands is finding buttons the right size and the right color.  I am always on the lookout for cheap buttons. Early in the summer, Joanns "reset" their button section and a lot of buttons ended up in a clearance bin. I got this one for 49¢. The regular price was $6.99. Isn't that insane?image.thumb.jpeg.ec46fb0e265e82c3116059e47980251b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.50ff84d370cd32cd56606349254a571f.jpeg

those are lovely.

I love buttons but they can be a challenge.  regular white 1/2" buttons cost me $0.50 a piece.  I used to pick up the bunches of buttons in a bag but they rarely ever have even 2 the same.

I do love your button though. 

I keep thinking that head bands are the way to go but I just never get them made.

Thanks Linda and Darski. To confess Darski, I know you can't tell in the photos, but the headband was made on my smaller Addi, so that part is super easy. Making the flower, and attaching the button to it and the flower to the headband is time consuming. But I sure do like them when they are done.  And yes Linda, the retail price on buttons these days are crazy. I always look at thrift shops and an occasional yard sale. I got about 8 or so at the Joanns clearance bin. It was just lucky timing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back from vacation. Went to Green Bay to see a Packers game. It was amazing. It's always good to be back home but I had over 400 emails at work. Yuk. What have you guys been up to while I was gone??

My cousin lives in Sheboygan, a city of about 50,000. There was a yarn shop! So my brother and cousin were real sports and hung out on the couch while I shopped. This was the first thing I saw and what I ended up buying. It's thin, like maybe for socks and was $26 but I had to have it.

image.jpeg.25fb1dc338b453edf093d8ec488cc45b.jpeg

19 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

My cousin lives in Sheboygan, a city of about 50,000. There was a yarn shop! So my brother and cousin were real sports and hung out on the couch while I shopped. This was the first thing I saw and what I ended up buying. It's thin, like maybe for socks and was $26 but I had to have it.

image.jpeg.25fb1dc338b453edf093d8ec488cc45b.jpeg

Was there a couch in the yarn shop??!!  Or did they stay at the house?  That yarn is gorgeous!

Colette, there was a couch in the yarn shop! I think probably for when they had open knitting, but probably for husbands (or brothers and cousins) too! I don't know why I didn't think to take a few pictures of the shop.  The people there were very nice and while I was shopping, there was a girl at the classroom table getting pattern help.  

I have recently been making baby dresses just because I love making them.  I have another one but I am making a blankie to go with it.

the dress and hat set are from a Drops design; the others are from "Bag O Day Crochet" on You Tube.  All of these got quite large for 0-6mo babies. :rofl

dress01.jpg.1e3a11a85169881e69347b523dfd98f0.jpg

dress02.jpg.e4d9bc6fd26520c6e4c72bf2d5dbddba.jpg

dress03.jpg.b078dcf12bbe322028e2cd78ff052cdc.jpg

dress04.jpg.25b87bea77a5e880cb60f327cbac98a0.jpg

59 minutes ago, darski said:

My tendonitis is acting up again so my left hand is on hold and getting iced several times a day.  This whole trigger finger thingy is no fun at all

:morcoffee

Hope its better soon.  

Darski, more beautiful dresses! I love the Christmas-colored one.....and the pink variegated. Wow, so pretty! Do you save these up all year long and donate them all at once? Do you look back at them and see favorites??

i finally have something to show...just another plain vanilla design. We are working on learning an entirely new financial software system at work and a few days a week, we are training in an entirely different building from the one I work in, and they usually give us an hour lunch. I never get an hour lunch...so I have been taking my crochet bag with me every day and work on hats after I eat lunch while I wait for the session to start again. 

image.thumb.jpeg.90d483b17f3d560e911cec4f466f949d.jpeg

anyone doing the rock painting? ( the kindness rock project )

my daughter and I have done some,we posted some pictures over on the granny square cal,if you'd like to see them,Denise

I didn't want to post both places cause they are kinda large

I've never heard of the kindness rock project.....I'm going to go check it out and learn something....!

ok, I'm back. I seem to have the idea. You leave a cute rock somewhere to cheer up someone's day. They can chose to keep it or re"hide" it for someone else. It seems very "hippy" to me....in the good way! Like the idea of taking something simple, provided by Mother Nature, and making it spread cheer. Hmm, now where to find rocks. In Arizona, most of our yards are rocks, but not the right kind for this project. I like that anyone, at any age, or any skill level for decorating can do something fun. 

A friend is making me socks with the sock yarn I brought back from Sheboygan.  I really want to learn to knit someday, but I am not patient enough yet. So she didn't bat an eye and is already started. I guess I am her charity case, so in her mind the socks are going to charity. Which means I will feel guilty and will make some crocheted baby booties to compensate for the selfish intake of a gift!!

image.jpeg

On 10/22/2017 at 1:29 AM, babypoohsmom said:

I've never heard of the kindness rock project.....I'm going to go check it out and learn something....!

ok, I'm back. I seem to have the idea. You leave a cute rock somewhere to cheer up someone's day. They can chose to keep it or re"hide" it for someone else. It seems very "hippy" to me....in the good way! Like the idea of taking something simple, provided by Mother Nature, and making it spread cheer. Hmm, now where to find rocks. In Arizona, most of our yards are rocks, but not the right kind for this project. I like that anyone, at any age, or any skill level for decorating can do something fun. 

we have a couple of places here that sell stones by the bucket or pound,5$ a bucket or 7 cents a pound

they certainly frown on taking them from residents yards or landscaping from businesses,its been fun,Rene' is going to a rock swap Saturday,if Bill would watch Jimmy for a couple of hrs. I'd be able to go,but sigh, he has enough dealing with dementia with his mom

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I've shown any of the flower dishcloths to you guys before. I usually use solid colored yarn to make them but a few months ago, Joanns had this Premier cotton on sale for $1. I liked the tonal color ways so I got two. Love the pattern. I did make a few that looked like amoebas before I got it right. I had to write the pattern down row by row in columns to get it right. 

I have already had a request for some dishcloths. A group I know is putting together small gift boxes for people in Texas, Florida, Perto Rico and California for people who lost everything. They are collecting hand made things...not because my dishcloth is going to save the person or family so much money, but the fact that things are hand made with some care and compassion is what they are after.  They have asked for quilts, afghans, pillow cases, etc. They have one gal making soap. So of course I am sending some to the group. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d5ebed2b898d1f0b289e7d7d1ae51e38.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, darski said:

My left hand is still 'in the shop' for repairs.  I'm totally bored and getting ticked.  I just got some gorgeous yarn from MM and have to just sit here and look at it

Gosh I hate hearing you are not able to work with your new yarn.  Hope you can play with it soon!

7 minutes ago, Inkked0317 said:

Hi everyone! Is it too late in the year to join the group? I can wait for the 2018 group if need be...

It's never too late and you can get your toes wet for next year :ghug

Thank you Darski!

I've made items for several charities so far this year. I started in January, with the intention of making pieces for each one at the start of each month, and then stockpiling everything to be mailed out together.

I made and donated a total of 90 preemie hats, 6 preemie sized blankets, and 10 berevement sets (1 hat, 1 blanket, a top, and 2 diapers for preemies who didn't make it) in different sizes. These were given to a friend of mine who was trying to donate 300 hats to the local NICU in honor of her triplet's 3rd birthday. The donation was made in August, so I haven't worked on preemie stuff since then but I plan on doing that again starting in January.

I've made 15 scarves and 20 hats for Operation Gratitude. This is an organization that sends handmade items to our service members stationed overseas. My goal was a set (hat & scarf) per month, so I'm happy with my stockpile. I'll be mailing these out next week.

And my last charity is Warm Up America. Between my mother and me, we've made 100 squares for WUA and I'll be mailing those out next week as well.

Right now, I'm working on a few Christmas gifts but I am making stuffed animals for the kids at church, based on what each kid is into. I'm doing all the kids in a family, then giving them all at the same time. I started this in September. So far, I've made 3 T Rexes, a puppy, a unicorn, a cow, something from Pokemon, a baby doll w carrier & blanket, and a giraffe. I've started on a Hello Kitty but it's on hold while I knock out the Christmas gifts. I've got 10 more kids on the list, that I've already spoken with their parents and gotten ideas as to what each kid likes. They're always so surprised when I ask if I can make something for their kids and the kids are always extremely happy to get the stuffies. I don't know if that falls under the "charity" umbrella, but I feel like every kid should have something that was made just for them, even if they're not babies anymore. It makes them feel special and important and like they matter and I love being able to do that for these kids!

Jessie, no wonder you haven't had time to post, you've never actually set your hooks/needles down this year, have you? You are, of course, welcome to join us for this year and next. 

I was shooting for a hat every week. I did pretty good I into the early 30's when work got crazy, followed by the extreme honor, but large time sacrifice, of becoming a board member on a start up animal rescue. My numbers below lost meaning early in the year, I should probably erase them!  I've done so much rescue stuff that I forgot to photograph. Which by they way, is the thing we love most here. Getting to ooh and aah other people's work keeps us motivated. 

Speaking of people who motivate us....Darski, I sure hope your hand is getting better!

Archived