Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Hello!  

The Boxing Day CAL is a place for people who do any kind of charity handwork to hang out, share ideas, share encouragement and of course, share pictures!  This is not a formal CAL, no deadlines, no specific projects. 

You don't have to do massive charity work and it doesn't even have to be crochet.  

We have people that make hats, shawls, squares for afghans, doll clothes, baby clothes, bird nests, cat beds...you name it.  Please feel free to drop in any time and tell us what you are doing, or just cheer us on as we go! 

We use the title "Boxing Day" because most of the stories of the origins of Boxing Day have to do with charitable giving.  Some say it started in the church - people were encouraged to bring in items that would be distributed to the poor.  Boxes were placed at the entrance of the church for the collection.  Others believe it is named so because the wealthy people who employed servants on Christmas Day gave them the next day off, and would often times give the servants boxes of food and wine left over from their Christmas dinners.  Boxing Day is Dec 26th and is a state holiday in many countries.  (Sadly, not in the US!)  And hey, it gives people something to Google if they want to know more!!

Here we go......!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in for this year as well.  I've already started the doll blankets and am trying to add hats and scarves for the local food pantry to distribute.  I'd like to find a local place to donate some afghans.  I had fun making the scrapghans for Christmas this year and they are a great way to help me downsize some of the yarn populating my spare room.

I'm in for this year as well.  I've already started the doll blankets and am trying to add hats and scarves for the local food pantry to distribute.  I'd like to find a local place to donate some afghans.  I had fun making the scrapghans for Christmas this year and they are a great way to help me downsize some of the yarn populating my spare room.

seniors facilities have always loved lapghans I've donated

Absolutely !  My mom is in Memory Care , there are 20 women and seriously there are only about 3 women there who have family that even cares!  It is tough, and painful, and uncomfortable to be with your love one during this time of their lives...( My mom with her Masters degree now eats with her fingers and fights them when they try and wash her.) I vowed on Christmas this year when I went to visit mom that next Christmas, each of these dear ladies would have something for Christmas next year... I am so hoping to do afghans!  Please look for a Memory care unit, they are beyond forgotten there!

Welcome back Cindy and Bailey. And welcome Lea.

I think it would be really hard to see someone you love go through that. But it's sad to hear that such a low percentage of people visit their loved ones. Years ago, a paper crafting shop near my work asked people to bring in hand made cards because they had accumulated a large list of seniors they were sending cards to as a result of the owner's mom going into care. She noticed how few of the residents had visitors or even mail.

I am getting good at corner to corner afghans so if you tell me a size, I will pitch in to help you!

I tucked in the ends on my first hat of the year last night and the baby cardigan is done except for the button. So I hope to have pictures soon.

Tomorrow I have to have an MRI on my stupid shoulder so my project bag will go with me for the inevitable wait.

Micheals has a few types of yarn on sale for $2 per skein. I have tried to go the last two nights in a row and have had things come up both times. Maybe that is someone trying to tell me to stop buying yarn. I don't know what I hate thinking about more, a yarn diet or a food diet, but both really need to happen.

Bailey4,

Project Linus and Binkie Patrol both have numerous drop off locations in our area so blankets don't have to be shipped.

You might check their websites to see if there is somewhere near you if you don"t find anything else.

I'm still hunting down the full size afghan options.  I know I've seen requests occasionally for foster care and shelters, but at the time I wasn't in a position to donate.  I just have to find the options to donate locally.

As I've experienced in the past if you start talking to people eventually you locate the right fit.  That's how I located Aztec wishes for the doll stuff.

Hi Alp, are you going to join us?

So, I finished the baby cardigan. I didn't weave in the end because I'm not sure if I'm going to put a button on it or not. Babies and buttons make me nervous. I also need to find a chart or something so I know what size it it. In the video, the woman says to use larger hooks for larger sizes, but I don't like the idea of the stitches getting looser. I would just add shells to the base. This one has 4 shells on each side, 8 for the back and 5 for each armhole. Wouldn't it make more sense to add shells to increase the size?

Anyway, here it is...

post-13802-0-22629900-1483071622_thumb.jpeg

Well I thought putting the white poster board under the dress would cut down on the glare from the table, but now there is just glare from the poster board. I have to find a better way to take pictures.

Also, I did get my MRI today. They had to inject dye in my shoulder and it hurt pretty badly, so I didn't go to work. I did however, go to Micheals and buy 15 skeins of yarn for $30 to cheer myself up. Then my husband and BIL asked me if I wanted to meet them for lunch because they had just played golf. The place was right next to the Goodwill, so I just popped in to look around and accidentally bought some more yarn. Time for a 2017 yarn resolution I think.

Bailey4, Project Linus in my area accepts full size blankets for teens, and their website indicates that larger blankets are actually their biggest need at the moment. Possibly the chapters in your area accept full size blankets as well.

Denise, I like that baby sweater, and I had to laugh at the "accidental" yarn buying. I'm tempted to run out to Michaels for some of that $2 yarn myself, but I'm not sure where i would store it. Currently I have two 4 foot wide by 6 foot wide cabinets stuffed with yarn. My unfinished project bags are everywhere in the house and all of them hold even more yarn. Maybe I need some sort of intervention! BTW, it's not 2017 quite yet, no need to worry about that yarn resolution until Sunday!

I did however, go to Micheals and buy 15 skeins of yarn for $30 to cheer myself up. Then my husband and BIL asked me if I wanted to meet them for lunch because they had just played golf. The place was right next to the Goodwill, so I just popped in to look around and accidentally bought some more yarn. Time for a 2017 yarn resolution I think.

It depends on what the resolution is--to buy MORE yarn, or LESS!!! :lol 

There are several good places to donate afghans locally.  Try the nursing homes in your area, or Salvation Army or Thrift stores that take donations.  Also, some churches are always in need of afghans for their parishioners who are on welfare, or are seniors.

We use the title "Boxing Day" because most of the stories of the origins of Boxing Day have to do with charitable giving.  Some say it started in the church - people were encouraged to bring in items that would be distributed to the poor.  Boxes were placed at the entrance of the church for the collection.  Others believe it is named so because the wealthy people who employed servants on Christmas Day gave them the next day off, and would often times give the servants boxes of food and wine left over from their Christmas dinners.  Boxing Day is Dec 26th and is a state holiday in many countries.  (Sadly, not in the US!)  And hey, it gives people something to Google if they want to know more!!

Thanks for explaining what Boxing Day is!!!  I've always wondered !! :) 

Hi Collette - I've seen you around on other CAL's, but I'm not sure where. Glad you dropped in!

I went to Joanns today and they had Deborah Norville (a chunky weight) on sale for $1.99, but I was able to resist. I only went in for stitch markers. But in the end, I wound up buying a mill end bag that had chunky purple yarn with sparkels. Who can resist that? There were 5 skeins and the bag was on sale for $4.99

I did start a C2C with some of the Loops and Threads Charisma yarn I found at Michaels on clearance for $2.99. I like the yarn. It's soft and the color changes are very pretty. I bought 4 skeins but I might swing back tomorrow to see if there are any more in the colorway I bought to make the afghan a little bigger. If I can't find any, I am sure someone will like a lap size blanket.

post-13802-0-85028800-1483255798_thumb.jpeg

When I buy yarn at Goodwill I always run it through the washer in a linen bag and if it holds up, I use it. I mostly use it for kennel mats for the cats in the shelter, but I got a few full skeins this time. I almost always make hats, but I have been wondering if there is something else I can do with a single skein. Maybe hand warmers or a skinny scarf? Of course hats are always good, as Darski says, when in doubt, make a hat!

When I started the original boxing day CAL I had planned to make a hat a day from Dec 26 around to December 1st.  Wonder if I could do it this year?

Think I will give it a try; I can always start with baby hats :rofl

You can never go wrong with a "Divine" hat

post-4896-0-62658400-1483285321_thumb.jpg

this is a baby version where I started with just 9 stitches instead of the usual 13 or 15.

I got 'er done, which is more than I could do a week ago.  getting better :clap

thats wonderful Darski,that you are making progress on your way back into crocheting

I need to start crocheting more,right now the hands are cramping up,and when I crochet they loosen up and stay limber

Darski, I didn't know it was you that started it, I thought it was Linda! But it makes sense that it was started by someone who lives in a country where it is celebrated!!

One hat a day seems so ambitious to me, but hey, I love it. Hopefully when I'm retired, I can hit a goal like that. Glad your hands are doing so much better! I also love the Divine hat. I was nervous to try it at first, but it was easier than I thought.

Linda, crochet is your physical therapy. I think yarn should be a medical tax deduction. My aunt has fingers that are just bent every which direction from arthritis and she hand pieces quilt tops. She says it helps her.

Here is hat #1 of 2017. I found some fuzzy white yarn perfect for Santa hats a few days before Christmas in a mill ends bag (of course), so I started this hat on Christmas Eve. I was looking for white baby yarn to stitch with the fuzzy yarn because I didn't think it was sturdy enough to use alone...but I didn't have any. So I tested the fuzzy stuff by trying to pull it and break it. It was a lot tougher than I thought. But in the end, I didn't get it finished until Boxing Day, so I guess we will call it my first one for this year.

I did all of my laundry this weekend and forgot to wash it. Good grief.

post-13802-0-74619200-1483341898_thumb.jpeg

Darski, I didn't know it was you that started it, I thought it was Linda! But it makes sense that it was started by someone who lives in a country where it is celebrated!!

One hat a day seems so ambitious to me, but hey, I love it. Hopefully when I'm retired, I can hit a goal like that. Glad your hands are doing so much better! I also love the Divine hat. I was nervous to try it at first, but it was easier than I thought.

Linda, crochet is your physical therapy. I think yarn should be a medical tax deduction. My aunt has fingers that are just bent every which direction from arthritis and she hand pieces quilt tops. She says it helps her.

actually it wasn't me,that started it,it was a lady named Dorothys girls,when she went back to school I took it over,but didn't have good success as a mod,and then things got hectic at the house here,and I asked babypoohsmom if she would take it over,and you have done a great job as the moderator

actually it wasn't me,that started it,it was a lady named Dorothys girls,when she went back to school I took it over,but didn't have good success as a mod,and then things got hectic at the house here,and I asked babypoohsmom if she would take it over,and you have done a great job as the moderator

sorry but I did start the original boxing day CAL.  It was called "Hats off to Boxing Day"  because I had a huge computer box and wanted to fill it with hats.  it got closed when I hit a rough patch but I kept working on my own project.  Dorothy's first post tells the tale.

I posted this request in Crochet help but thought I would add it here.

This is a cut and paste of that post

In honour of Canada's sesquicentennial I am doing the Carousel afghan in red and white only.

B..u..t... I have a bit of a snag when it comes to joining the red/white bands and then joining them to my centre motif.

I don't really want to use either red or white for joining but then it means I must bring in another colour.  I have been debating which colour might work best...

use gold as in the original pattern - I'm really liking this possibility.

use navy as a nod to our mother country

use black just for the boldness of it.

what would you do?  any other suggestions?

I'm just starting the banding 'bits' so I have some time to decide.  I should add that I am afraid that adding blue would look more like Washington than London :eek  oh well.

Archived