To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2017!

judianne

Yeah I guess it is, but I'm halfway through with one. Two of the mermaids tails are for little girls and are the only ones I'll have to finish before Christmas.

My biggest reservation is the retro ornament one--I hope it's not too complicated. I really like the look. I'm not very good at looking at the pattern and visualizing it, but there is a video.

The temperature one has no deadline.

So I can do lots of swapping around if I get tired of one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone.

The tote is done and now I need to post it.

I am hoping to start working on the Angel afghan in the next couple of days.  I do need to get into my craft room, as I can not move without tripping over a box.  Guess I will have to move some of it into the garage.

Well, off to see what the Ville is up to.  Hugs all around. :hug  :ghug  :hug 

The 2016 thread has been closed, so all activity should now be taking place here in this thread. That way nobody will get confused and post in the wrong thread. :)

Not that that would be a big problem, except posts might not get seen.

I was just over at the old thread and I love the pillow and the afghan.  They are so pretty.  I have started my first afghan, it is cool enough to work on it.

Well MJ, with your weather.... it might be too hot to work on it tomorrow LOL

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple hat pattern done in the round?  I've loomed a couple to donate, but I'd like to crochet a few as well because it is sometimes just faster.  I keep finding ones that need to be sewn together.  I've looked on Ravelry and pulled out one already, so I'm looking for some people have had good luck doing.  I really am determined to work on reclaiming space in my spare bedroom this year and along with doll clothes donations, I'm hoping hats and scarves can help me get to that goal as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple hat pattern done in the round?  I've loomed a couple to donate, but I'd like to crochet a few as well because it is sometimes just faster.  I keep finding ones that need to be sewn together.  I've looked on Ravelry and pulled out one already, so I'm looking for some people have had good luck doing.  I really am determined to work on reclaiming space in my spare bedroom this year and along with doll clothes donations, I'm hoping hats and scarves can help me get to that goal as well.

My favorite pattern for a round hat is the simple dc one.  Just make a magic circle, then make 12 dc in the ring.  Ch 2, turn.  Make 1 dc in the first dc.  2d in each dc around, ch 2. turn.

Row 2: * Make 2 dc in first dc, 1 dc in next dc.  Repeat from * around.

R0w 3:  Ch 2, turn.  Make 2 dc in first dc. * Make 1 dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat from *.

Row 4:  Ch 2, turn.  Make 2 dc in first dc.  *Make 1 dc in ea of next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat around.

Row 5   Ch 2,  turn.  Make 2 dc in first dc.  *Make 1 dc in ea of next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat around. 

Row  6;  Ch 2, turn.  Make 1 dc in each dc around.

Repeat Round 6 until hat is desired length.

If you want to make this smaller, end with row 4 or 5.  To make larger, make  one more row of increase (Ch 2, turn.  Make 2 dc in first dc.  Make 1 dc in ea of next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat from * around.

Hope this makes sense.  Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll look up a printed pattern.

You can also make this with hdc, or even sc.

Colette's pattern looks good - and RHSS label has a cute pattern I've made for both a child and adult - depending on yarn and hook it's flexible that way - called Cute Hat I think. Has a nice look.

I'm in - I think.....  

Son - hat (wip current)

Brother and sister in-law - Potholders

Daughter #1 - hat/scarf/fingerless gloves

Welcome!!  Pop in whenever you want to....and we're here if you want suggestions or help. No pressure! Looking forward to seeing what your finished products look like!

Well the shark attack blankets were a hit! Now my 28year old nephew wants one. So I will make one for him asap!

My nephew who attends MA Maritime insists it is a blanket and he therefore can bring it on the ship next week. My younger nephew slept with his blanket the last two nights since receiving it.

Even my brother loved them.but he Is just a big kid!

Hopefully going to do my charity hats tomorrow, Going to try Avon Lady's pattern for something different!

Had lunch with MIL todya and she said she is going to help with the lapghans for the Memory Care Unit!

May your yarn stash be full in 2017~~

It sounds like we're all getting on a roll.

Love to see pics of how the hat pattern posted by Avon Lady turns out.

I also got a real kick out of hearing about the enthusiastic response the shark blankets got!

Cindy, sewing a tote bag for a gift is a great idea. I think you once mentioned you have a bit of a fabric stash...

I'm finishing a ghan requested by DS, and still have to put finishing touches on a purple GS ghan I started a couple of months ago.

Have a great day, ladies!

Finished one of my charity hats today... not sure how because I was such a grumpy old lady today!! I got spoiled with so much fun and excitement and having the bustle and hustle around the house today was as dull as a butter knife... nobody but dh and I and he worked on an outside building project all day!  

Ahh well, I gave myself all day to grump and mope  so tomorrow its back at it, cleaning, cooking, crochet...  you know the drill...

I just started crocheting in Nov. My goal for crocheting is make things that are useful to me and others. We've been given many afghans from my MIL - she is the one that taught me to crochet - so we don't need afghans and I am focusing on other items.

My first project was a cup coozie that turned into a cute stocking for the a tree ornament when I made it way too tight. Next project was a scarf for me that works well but isn't consistent on width...improving though! 3rd project was a set of baby booties for a cousin that turned out very cute and they were even the same size! Then I started a bag that I didn't get finished before leaving home for an extended trip to Mexico so that will get finished in April. Oh, and I made a scrubby rag for my Mom - that was actually fun.

Today while hubby was driving toward Mexico I tried to start on a sweater (easy pattern, not beginner so a step up on difficulty) but didn't get very far. I quickly learned that gauging is important and mine was way too loose. If I finished based on the first try that thing would have been twice as wide as me! Frogged the project and will start again tomorrow starting with a gauging square. Frustrating though because i am really going to have to tighten up the stitches and I'm not sure I can get them tight enough. We will see.

I would like to start crocheting items to donate to charities and I want to continue making useful things for family and friends, but I want my projects to look good - consistent, sized correctly, etc. So, I am practicing on items for myself until they start looking good. I know I am excited about a new hobby right now so it is easy to make time to crochet. I am joining this discussion because I am sure as I try to improve, frustration will set in and I will need cheerleaders. Thanks in advance!

I just started crocheting in Nov. My goal for crocheting is make things that are useful to me and others. We've been given many afghans from my MIL - she is the one that taught me to crochet - so we don't need afghans and I am focusing on other items.

My first project was a cup coozie that turned into a cute stocking for the a tree ornament when I made it way too tight. Next project was a scarf for me that works well but isn't consistent on width...improving though! 3rd project was a set of baby booties for a cousin that turned out very cute and they were even the same size! Then I started a bag that I didn't get finished before leaving home for an extended trip to Mexico so that will get finished in April. Oh, and I made a scrubby rag for my Mom - that was actually fun.

Today while hubby was driving toward Mexico I tried to start on a sweater (easy pattern, not beginner so a step up on difficulty) but didn't get very far. I quickly learned that gauging is important and mine was way too loose. If I finished based on the first try that thing would have been twice as wide as me! Frogged the project and will start again tomorrow starting with a gauging square. Frustrating though because i am really going to have to tighten up the stitches and I'm not sure I can get them tight enough. We will see.

I would like to start crocheting items to donate to charities and I want to continue making useful things for family and friends, but I want my projects to look good - consistent, sized correctly, etc. So, I am practicing on items for myself until they start looking good. I know I am excited about a new hobby right now so it is easy to make time to crochet. I am joining this discussion because I am sure as I try to improve, frustration will set in and I will need cheerleaders. Thanks in advance!

We are the best cheerleaders in the whole wide world, and if you have questions or run into a snag just ask.... glad to have you with us!!

I finished the hat for my son.  Just need to remember to take a picture of it.  Do I update my original post or how does this

Congrats on the hat!  You can do it any way you want to,  I am going to try and be good to edit my original.... but some where around Mark that goes out the window for me :lol :lol :lol

Have you tried using smaller hook to make gauge? I have the opposite problem in things come in too small so I often have to adjust hook to have project match gauge.

I finished the hat for my son.  Just need to remember to take a picture of it.  Do I update my original post or how does this work?

I personally like to edit my list on the earlier post, but post a picture in a new one. Most people might not notice the edited post.

Archived