To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2017!

judianne

Sorry Daphne,  I meant to answer your question about the bobbins.  Here they are at Mary Maxim.

http://www.marymaxim.com/large-yarn-bobbins-2-pk.html

Thanks Mary Jo! I am going to have to invest in some one of these days :)

Hi ladies. I've made a number of sets of covered clothes hangers for gifts, and Judy suggested that I post that idea here. There are a number of free patterns out there, but I prefer to keep it very simple

I use an H hook and WW yarn with those tubular plastic hangers, and simply single crochet evenly all around the hanger. I've also slip stitched around but sc is a lot easier for me. To start, I first either tie the yarn around the base of the hook or I do my first sc there. This isn't absolutely neccesary, but the stitches tend to slide down the hanger if you don't, and then I'm always tugging at them to see my progress. Once I'm all the way around, I just tie the yarn ends in a double knot and then a bow.

These work really well to keep clothes from sliding off the hanger. This is a very inexpensive gift, as I can get 8 packs of sturdy plastic hangers at the dollar store, and each one uses only a small amount of yarn. In fact, if I make them for myself, I just use whatever odds and ends of yarn that I have. When one color runs out, I just add another and keep going. They aren't always pretty, but they are functional.

Hey, that's a great idea! I can't tell you how many times my shirts fall off the hangers, drives me bonkers....

I always try to keep a few handmade dishcloths in my gift drawer, just in case. Here are a couple I made since Christmas.

Love this idea. those are pretty dishcloths!

Almost finishes with the steelers blanket just a couple rows of border to complete. Yay! LOL. Then I will see what I am going to do after that. Currently am also working on 3 dragon scarf/lovies for a friends grandkids and another friends daughter. I love the dragon scarfs!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayfairers, the scarf is pretty and classy, I like it!

Little update on my calendar:

Advent calendar - kids:

1. mini sock

2. snowman ornament

3. elf ornament

4. first shepherd for Nativity (mom shepherd)

5. child shepherd

6. a candy cane

7. heart photo frame

8. snowflake photo frame

Advent calendar - "adult"

1. mini sock (2x)

2. thread bell (2x)

3. snowflake photo frame 

4. oval photo frame

5. heart photo frame

6. thread bell - pattern #2

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the scrubby yarn. What do you mean you use regular cotton with the scrubby? Are you crocheting with one strand of each for two stands at once or doing something else? What stotch or pattern do you use?

Do yours dry fairy quickly?

Well, so far, all I've gotten done is 3/4 of the blue baby afghan--and I think I've changed my mind about the pattern.  It's going to Florida, and it might be too heavy, so I think I'll start another blue one as soon as I've finished this one, then decide!  The original is just a mixture of various stitches, such as a row of V-stitches, then a row of dc, then a row of clusters, etc.  Sounds crazy, but it's working out pretty!  The lighter weight one...well...I haven't decided on the pattern for that one!  I like baby afghans made with close stitches, so that little baby fingers don't get stuck in any holes!

I also finished 2 prayer shawls that were in various stages of being done!  So, actually--I guess I'm doing fairly well for January 12th!!

Well, so far, all I've gotten done is 3/4 of the blue baby afghan--and I think I've changed my mind about the pattern.  It's going to Florida, and it might be too heavy, so I think I'll start another blue one as soon as I've finished this one, then decide!  The original is just a mixture of various stitches, such as a row of V-stitches, then a row of dc, then a row of clusters, etc.  Sounds crazy, but it's working out pretty!  The lighter weight one...well...I haven't decided on the pattern for that one!  I like baby afghans made with close stitches, so that little baby fingers don't get stuck in any holes!

I also finished 2 prayer shawls that were in various stages of being done!  So, actually--I guess I'm doing fairly well for January 12th!!

How long has your friend been down here?  I have a snowflake and a granny square one that are made with 4 ply ww Red Heart Yarn.  There are days that DH uses both of them.  It can get cool and depending on what part of Florida this person lives, depends on how cold it can get.  70 for us is sweatpants and long sleeve shirts.

Greyhoundgrandma, I love that afghan it is really pretty.

Everyone is moving along!   Worked on a messy bun hat and  some birthday squares  on our trip today, one more travel day this week and then the weekend.   I got an order for another hat that I will work on tomorrow and then some more squares for the memory care unit... Going pretty well !

Looking forward to everyone's pictures!

Jan List:

at least 2-4 hats for the homeless ministry ( 1 hat done)

an afghan for Memory Care unit

baby ghan for charity

Bailey has inspired me, after having the pattern for the last a billion years I am going to go the nativity.... I'll start with Mary and Joesph

1 cross stitch pattern I need to finish

a cal I have joined at Attic24

finish 1 WIP

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the scrubby yarn. What do you mean you use regular cotton with the scrubby? Are you crocheting with one strand of each for two stands at once or doing something else? What stotch or pattern do you use?

Do yours dry fairy quickly?

The directions on one of the two Scrubby yarn wrappers (I have yarn made by two different companies and they are very different) said not to put in the dryer so I let them air dry. Depends where I leave them, but they dry pretty fast. The first one I made was with a smoother scrubby yarn I was gifted, and I also used patterns in the book I got with the yarn, but the really rough scrubby I use in spots: no real pattern, just crochet about 18, and used hdc on first row, next row DC, etc. You can play with whatever stitches you like, but I crochet tightly, esp with cotton, so if I were to use an HDC stitch with the cotton it would take a long time to dry. The scrubby yarn is fine for that stitch. Ravelry and even just going on Google should give you simple patterns for dish cloths. Probably a bunch using the scrubby yarn too! Let us know if you have any more questions...we're not going anywhere ;)

This is for my best friend for Christmas--the first thing crossed off my list. I started it last year and have worked on it off and on.

attachicon.gifsquare throw.JPG

Love it! Did you use Unforgettable yarn??

Yes it is. The color is stained glass.

I made myself a shawl using that yarn in the turquoise color way....the effect of the shading is unmistakable! Beautiful!

Finished the scarf. Learned how to make tassels...I was surprised how easy it was. Here it is...the 2nd scarf I've made - used dc this time.

Anna said it: VERY classy look! :clap

This is for my best friend for Christmas--the first thing crossed off my list. I started it last year and have worked on it off and on.

I forgot to ask you: is there a pattern for this or is it the standard never ending GS ghan? 

I don't think I've seen the turquoise--sounds pretty. I've used parrot and like it, too.

It's Mary Maxims textured granny blanket--a download. Can't remember now if it was free or not. The row after the shells is bpdc clusters so you have the different color showing on the shell.

I was just wondering about that yesterday. Mine are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 and their parents frown on candy, so I need to come up with something crocheted, I guess.

Crochet Village has a cute Valentine set that includes a Hershey Kiss like creature that was even a hit with DH. He has high top sneakers. There's a heart with windy legs and Valentine cookies if I remember correctly. Sorry can't add link but computer has died and I've never mastered all the tricks for cutting and pasting with my tablet.

I will have to look at Crochet Village, but I get into trouble every time I go there.

Every one is moving right along.

I am half way finished with the afghan and I am thinking of putting a fan border on it.  What do you think?  It would be in white.

post-105-0-22019900-1484319717_thumb.jpgpost-105-0-67820900-1484319728_thumb.jpg

Update 2017-Started Destashing-(using what I have on hand plan)

1st project of the new year is a Wave Ripple Baby Blanket using 3 skeins of RHSS...
2nd projects-Hat to Donate-  I changed my mind was getting annoyed with hats
3rd-Pc Mousey Bag for my mom- Completed
4th project- More Drink Bottle Carriers for our water bottles

Oooo....hadn't found Crochet Village yet...I like that website!! Heee is the link for the kit with the Hershey guy...very cute. http://crochetvillage.com/store/items/view/8/cv089_my_silly_valentine___first_class_mail/

Loving seeing everyone's projects. They all look great. Thanks for the compliments on my scarf....I know I think it looks good but it is nice to hear experienced crocheters say it looks good.

Wow! You are all so hard at work! Love the scarves and dishcloths and blankets! So pretty!

I'm out of ideas, or tired or something. I haven't picked up a hook since I finished my husband's scarf last week. It feels very strange not to have my fingers going every spare minute but I am not motivated! That holiday season took it out of me! Oh well, hopefully I'll find my motivation by watching you guys. Usually works pretty well. ;)

Oh and Mary Jo, you should totally add a fan border that afghan, it would look lovely!

Finished the scarf. Learned how to make tassels...I was surprised how easy it was. Here it is...the 2nd scarf I've made - used dc this time.

Nice work!

Wow, those colors are beautiful! Your friend will love it.

I will have to look at Crochet Village, but I get into trouble every time I go there.

Every one is moving right along.

I am half way finished with the afghan and I am thinking of putting a fan border on it.  What do you think?  It would be in white.

attachicon.gifAngel Hugs000 (3).JPGattachicon.gifAngel Hugs002 (2).JPG

You're getting that done quickly. It looks great.

Archived