To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2017!

judianne

I put aside the retro ornament throw because I needed more yarn but I need to get back to it now. I'm about halfway through joining the rows.  Also working on a wavy ripple baby blanket in red and green for our GS arriving in December.

Mary Jo and all our FL friends, stay safe this weekend!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow is the day we should know what is what.  It could move further West, which could be bad or it could move east or just stay where it is.

We are as ready as we can be.  Plenty of water, food and good neighbors. Take care Ratdog and be safe.

Thanks for the offer Ratdog.  We are actually in a no evacuation zone.  The shelter is just up the street, so even with the storm surge, we should be ok.  We are not being asked to evacuate.  It has jogged more to the west, so we are going to get hit.

We have a to go bag ready to go, the laptops can be put in the car if needed.  If needed, we have a room to go to, if one of the windows break.  I have all my paperwork in plastic bags and ready to take.

We are as ready as we can be.  The St. Pete airport closed yesterday and the Tampa airport will close at 8PM tonight. 

My big worry is not if, but when the electricity goes.  Like I said we have good neighbors who can lend a hand if needed.

Everyone in Florida, please make sure you are ready, if they tell you to get out and if not, make sure you have everything you need for several days.

I may not be back on, but when I can, I will be here.

Hi Everyone,

We are still ok.  The storm is in the Keys and is back up to a CAT 4.  We are not expected to see it till later tonight.

The last time we had a scare like this was 2004 with Charlie.  He was coming up the coast heading right for Tampa when it turned in and landed at Punta Gorda.

No more evacuations.  We are west of Tampa in that little piece that sticks out.  Everything is in the house and one of the neighbors that was leaving yesterday, asked us to take his bbq and gas.  So we now have something to cook on.  We have good neighbors.

As long as we have electricity, we will try to check in.

Mary Jo - I hope you didn't lose power! My good friend over in Trinity still has power as of this AM, so I think they dodged a bullet. She's in a battery operated wheelchair and uses a special bed, so it would have been really hard on her if there was no electricity.

Still working on doily number 4

Hi Everyone.  We just got our electricity back.  It went our about midnight on Sunday and it just came back about noon today.  We faired well, when it came to damage.  The only thing we lost, was our hibiscus tree in front of the big window at the front of the house.  It split right in half. 

We had the radio on and got to hear some news and about how many electric companies are down here to help get us back on line.  We got lucky in a way, as it came on land south of us and by the time we got it, it was a Cat 1.  The east coast got hit the worst, as they had the east side of the storm, which is stronger than the west side.  This sucker was so big it covered the whole state.  So everybody felt something from it.

I have good neighbors that kept checking on us and making sure we were ok.  We were finally able to get ice yesterday, couldn't get any this morning.

We had to pool to get into to cool off, but the worst was trying to sleep at night.  John has a pacemaker and he has sleep apnea, so he could not use his machine, but he did ok.  My asthma weathered the heat, humidity and pollen.

Thank you all for thinking about us and for sending us the electric trucks.

Beautiful doily Judianne.

The only thing that bothered me during the outage, was I could not crochet it was to hot.

Have a good day everyone.  

Good morning,

Today I can finally get back to crocheting.  It is cool in the house and I can relax and watch my football and enjoy working with yarn again.

Hope everyone is doing well and you can all take the day and enjoy it.

Mary Jo, I'm so glad you have electricity back!! It's a horror to sleep in that kind of weather without it. And you're welcome, for the power company trucks! We were without power for 13 days during Sandy, and the last day we were talking to a lineman from Alabama, I think....the trucks came from all over the country to help! It was only the eastern part of the state that was hit badly by the storm - all nearest the water, of course.

...thanks for the compliments on the doily!

Well, the doilies went home with the new owner and I've started the first of two graph ghans for the same friend. Christmas gifts.

So, school has started and lots of new schedules need to be figured out...hope all is well, ladies.

So I am getting started on Winter & Xmas early...So here is my to do list so far

Just finished a Swing Shirt for a co-workers daughter over the weekend finding buttons is always hard but forgot to grab a picture

Niece-Mini Backpack/change bag/winter shawl- Status (back pack just needs straps attached & shawl is half done) Status

My sister-in law-Mini Backpack/change bag/winter shawl-Status pending

Grandson-Mini Backpack & Winter Hats-Status(back pack done just need to start on hats)

DD#2 -Mini Backpack change bag -Status (back pack done just need to start change bag)

Donation plan is to make a few shawl to donate to Hospice since I have not made any this year but did donate a huge batch I made last winter just before summer that I found in stash when house cleaning LOL.....

I'm back to my Advent calendar gifts. I have to update my lists as I made some ornaments during the summer - some thread hearts (big and small), birds, cottages, fish... I have another Holy Family set ready, and some elves, and clothespin angels, and granny stars... They go in pairs :) I have to take pictures!

JAY, it sounds like you're really on a roll!! Looking forward to seeing pics!

Anna, You do lovely work - looking forward to seeing your pics, too!

As for me, I've started on the first of two German shepherd graph ghans. I'm using a graph I was gifted years ago for the face, and the other part of the pattern is a free pattern someone made for me.

Happy hooking.

3 hours ago, Apak said:

I'm back to my Advent calendar gifts. I have to update my lists as I made some ornaments during the summer - some thread hearts (big and small), birds, cottages, fish... I have another Holy Family set ready, and some elves, and clothespin angels, and granny stars... They go in pairs :) I have to take pictures!

=========

Looks that you got a lot going on....:)

Talking about Advent calendar. That reminds me of the one I made when my grand-kids were younger. That was done with felt/sequins/embroidery from Bucilla kit. I remember my first expression after getting that kit :(. When I looked at ALL of that my expression was: "Are they crazy!???. Who on earth would have a pations and probably hundreds of hours to do something like that????. I was going to return that and after I started working on that I was going to throw that to a garbage!. But I did finished that. I did put a lot of extra work to that. I stitched each sequin twice and made a knot on each (I hate seeing dangling sequins). Not only that but I did lined up each pocket with fabric for strength because I knew those pockets would not last for many years, felt stretches, pulls apart with constant use. specially by kids. And I was not going to do all that work that would only hold up for couple years or so. I even lined up that whole piece with fabric in the back. And on the end I figure it out... That all those toys will be pulling out constantly those two bigger pockets on the bottom of that calendar & all that bulk would not be very pleasing to look at that. It would have been pulling out from the wall that bottom part.  So I went and bought a wooden chest, did some decorative painting on it and lined that up with a red felt & white "zig-zag" inside. I call that a "Treasure Box".

I did learn one lesson. I would never buy again a big kit with a lot sequins to sew on. That project took me about couple months:(. And that was a very tedious work. I guess when it comes to sewing a LOT of sequins that is definatetly not my thing.

I will look for the pictures if I find them I will post them here. I lost many pictures when I got my new computer.

Krys

Wow, Krys, I think I could never ever sew so many sequins... 

What I'm going to do with my advent calendar is: to pack all the items and change them into little gifts, then put in one big box. Then - I"ll add a little real spruce or fir tree, because all the ornaments are for Christmas tree. So the person who the calendar is for will decorate it day by day... I hope she'll like it :)

Archived