Mermaid Blanket Help

Jacy Pane

Question

This is my first crocheting project. I've been following this pattern by Crochet Lovers:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/crochet-lovers/crochet-mermaid-tail-blanket/564100440441601

And so far I'm happy with the results:

I wanted to make this blanket lay flat across the tops of my shoulders like a normal blanket would and just have the "cocoon" effect around my hips and down my legs. Is there a way I can accomplish this? Should I begin decreasing in the back and increase on the sides, or would that make it look funky?

post-78953-0-85472700-1482513128_thumb.jpg

post-78953-0-28297300-1482513155_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

i think your idea will work, and the only way to know for sure is to try it and see.  if you don't like it you can always rip it out.

but at this point is it as long as it needs to be?  it looks pretty short.  have you tried it on?  i would do that before doing anything else.  you might also want to wash it to be sure that isn't going to change the dimensions.  

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I tried it on and right now it reaches the backs of my knees. I was going to repeat the pattern until it reaches my hips and then possibly try extending from there. I just wasn't sure if that was feasible or not, or if the blanket would unfold naturally if I kept repeating the pattern to my shoulders. I will definitely try washing to see if it changes.

To not fit  like a sausage casing and still look like a mermaid tail, you'll want gradual increases from foot to shoulder, no decreases.  Measure yourself, and add a few inches (around, not length) for wiggle room

Measure the length from the bottom of the piece to the widest part of your hips

Measure the length from the above spot to your shoulders

Measure around the widest part of your hips, and add several inches

Measure around your shoulders (not your bust), and add several inches

Archived