2017 Afghan for NICU babies for Christmas- 11th year for delivery!

badrhinogillett

In 2006, Oakland Children's Hospital saved my son's life.  He was 3 days old when he arrived, via helicopter, to the hospital.  I was overjoyed to live near quality medical care- and then was blessed by an outpouring of support from people that didn't even know us.  Those 10 days in the NICU were terrifying.  I received cards from local school children who didn't even know us.  That kindness gave me strength to get through days that I didn't think I was strong enough to withstand.  This afghan drive is my way of repaying the emotional debt I owe to the hospital and God for bringing my son to perfect health.

Every year, shortly after Thanksgiving, I deliver afghans, hats, booties, funeral gowns, etc. to the NICU.  To date, we have brought 1,429 afghans tot he hospital!  The first items received are passed out by Santa on Christmas day.  Anything remaining after that is used by the nurses and chaplain as needed.  The NICU cares for aproximately 400 children a year.  I would love to make a delivery so that every child in a year was able to receive something.

The NICU cares for babies from micro-preemie (think the size of a chunky Barbie doll) to a one year old child (think regular one year old size).  Therefore, literally, ANY size afghan you feel compelled to make will find a baby that will love it.  

For preemie's, the yarn should be light weight and the pattern should be free from holes that will tangle in monitor wires.  

If you'd rather make something for an older chlld, I can take that too.  The hospital cares for kids up to 18 years old.

I also have a Facebook group you can join - you can find it here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/303209316470887/

Thank you for thinking about the babies.  Their parent's will never forget your generosity at a time they needed it most.

2017 donations:

afghans:  96

Hats     47

scarves:  6

• 3 weeks later...

I got almost no crocheting done last year as I learned to navigate the loss of my Dad. I told myself I'd work on crocheting this year. I've been home ill the last few days and last night felt well enough to pick up my hook. I'm getting ready to finish my 6th crocheted fleece blanket tonight. The year is off to a much better start!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished crocheting my first baby blanket for this drive. I used the Margaret Square for the center and added granny stitching to finish it off. It is 18 inches wide for a preemie baby blanket as I was using up some scrap yarns. I hope to do more blankets soon but wanted to share my first FO.

post-10977-0-18689600-1485830069_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kathryn,

I just finished up this baby shell preemie blanket for the drive today. It is 18 inches wide and I will be sending it off hopefully tomorrow with one other little blanket I completed for this year's blanket drive.

post-10977-0-23554800-1494381493_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 6:59 PM, RecycleCindy said:

Kathryn,

I just finished up this baby shell preemie blanket for the drive today. It is 18 inches wide and I will be sending it off hopefully tomorrow with one other little blanket I completed for this year's blanket drive.

post-10977-0-23554800-1494381493_thumb.jpg

It arrived Cindy!  Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived