Triangle with rounded arch edge bottom?

DucksAhoy

Question

Hi all!

I'm quite new to crocheting, but I can't seem to find a specific instruction/pattern on creating a triangle with an arching curve at it's base. I would simply make a hexagon in the round w/ a chevron on the outside, but in this instance, I want each triangle to be a different colour and to join them together afterwards.

I've sketched what I'm trying to describe here:

https://twitter.com/AhoyDucks/status/811605714959470592

Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'd stitch it in the round and change colors as you go.  You'll need 8 balls of yarn, since you're doing 8 triangles.

Here's how to change colors seamlessly ...

When you get to a new color, don't finish the last stitch.  Instead, pull the new color through the last 2 loops.  Take the old color and flip it over the top, so that it's in the back.  Continue crocheting with the new color.

When you get to round 2+, your new color will be at the other side of the triangle.  You'll need to carry it across the top of stitches.  Lay it across the top and crochet over it, like it wasn't there.  It'll blend into the stitches.

Here's a website that has exact instructions for changing colors seamlessly...

http://www.recrochetions.com/p/reversible-intarsia-resources.html

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'd stitch it in the round and change colors as you go.  You'll need 8 balls of yarn, since you're doing 8 triangles.

Here's how to change colors seamlessly ...

When you get to a new color, don't finish the last stitch.  Instead, pull the new color through the last 2 loops.  Take the old color and flip it over the top, so that it's in the back.  Continue crocheting with the new color.

When you get to round 2+, your new color will be at the other side of the triangle.  You'll need to carry it across the top of stitches.  Lay it across the top and crochet over it, like it wasn't there.  It'll blend into the stitches.

Here's a website that has exact instructions for changing colors seamlessly...

http://www.recrochetions.com/p/reversible-intarsia-resources.html

Thanks, I was afraid of that xD Daunting but I will definitely take a look at the instructions for colour changing as you've suggested.

^ what she said, except--if you turn each round, you don't need to carry your yarn across the back.  The new color will be waiting for you when you need it.  And, it's reversible.

To get the curvy parts, I'd create the curve with gradually taller stitches.  Do the whole thing in SC until you get close to the edge round(s), then do DC, HDC, at the beginning, then end with HDC, DC at the end of each triangle.  Or probably better, EDC, DC, EHDC, HDC, ESC at the beginning, and the reverse in the last 5 stitches.  The "E" stitches are extended stitches, give them a google for instructions.  You may want to fiddle with this to get the right look, maybe even 2 rounds this way to build up the curve.

Forgot to add...you are going to have 6 balls of yarn hanging from your work.  When you turn for the next round, alternate the direction you turn the work every time - this way, the supply yarns will never have more than 1 twist, and is easy to undo.  If you keep turning the same way, you'll end up with a mess in a hurry (been there, done that).  

Forgot to add...you are going to have 6 balls of yarn hanging from your work.  When you turn for the next round, alternate the direction you turn the work every time - this way, the supply yarns will never have more than 1 twist, and is easy to undo.  If you keep turning the same way, you'll end up with a mess in a hurry (been there, done that).  

Thank you for the tips :) It's all a bit intimidating, but at least I now know where to ask things xD

Archived