Help with favecrafts bernat wrap-ghan pattern

Question

Has anyone made the wrap-ghan? I am totally lost on this project. At first I figured if the instructions didn't make sense, they would as I saw it come together. But, no matter how many times i re-read them, I can not make heads or tails of the second section Front With WS facing, join yarn with sl st to center 45 (61) sts. Cont even in pat until armhole measures 8 (10) ins 21.5 (26.5) cm, ending with a RS row. Shape shoulders Next row (WS). Sl st across first 10 (14) sts. Pat across next 25 (33) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. Collar Cont in pat until work from shoulder edge measures 3 (4) ins 7.5 (11.5) cm, ending with a WS row. Fasten off. Left Back With WS facing, join yarn with sl st to rem 35 (45) sts. Cont even in pat until armhole measures 8 (10) ins 21.5 (26.5) cm, ending with a RS row. Shape shoulder Next row (WS). Sl st across first 10 (14) sts. Pat to end of row. Turn. Collar Cont in pat on rem 25 (31) sts until work from shoulder edge measures 3 (4) ins 7.5 (11.5) cm, ending with a WS row. Fasten off. I find the main piece to be 'blocky', with squared corners, and no collar. Can anyone please help explain what I am not seeing? Are there pictures of how these parts look?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

They really should show a diagram, like a lot of apparel patterns, to show where you'll be sewing seams.  I'm not sure where you're at in making this, but your best bet is to use stitch markers at the ends of each section and collar.  If you have different colored markers, use specific colors for each section.  If you don't have stitch markers, you can always use short pieces of different colored yarn.  Unfortunately, if you're at the end of the instructions, you're going to have to go back and count where to put the markers. 

For reference, here is the original source of the pattern (the site you mentioned didn't say they had permission to post it)

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/wrap-ghan-1.html?id=188441

Yeah, there should be a diagram.  Reading this, the body will end up looking like a wide solid piece at the bottom (the 'skirt', front and back), then it divides to create gaps for armholes to create 3 pillars rising from the skirt which will be the right back, front, left back.

You start with the first 'pillar', the right back.  Then, you fasten off, re-attach the yarn where it tells you to for the center pillar (will be the front), and work that, then the last pillar which will be the left back.  

Here is a very crude sketch, undoubtedly not to scale.  The red part is the collar (it's not a separate piece, I just did this because it talked about sewing the collar seam, which is really a continuation of the shoulder seam .  Imagine that you will making this into a sleeveless vest that opens to the back; the next step will be folding the backs toward the center and matching up and sewing the left shoulder/collar seams together, then the right.

The sleeves will end up being a trapezoid shape, the wide end will be the part sewn to the armhole formed when you sew the shoulder seams.

post-13625-0-65902400-1481564642_thumb.png

post-13625-0-08009600-1481564719_thumb.png

Edited by Granny Square