Making vortex scarf: sc in top of beginning ch-3?

Chii236

Question

Hello!! I am trying to make a scarf for a friend for a trip to NYC for her birthday, but there is one instruction that keeps confusing me: sc in top of beginning ch-3. The pattern is the Red Heart Vortex Scarf. Also, it asked for 19 fsc, yet keeps alternating between making stitches for 18 and 19 stitches...

Thank you!

5 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!  

the pattern says

Row 2 (Right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in each of the next

18 sts; turn—19 dc.
Row 3: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), sc in each of the next 18 dc, sc in top of beginning ch-3; turn—19 sc. 

so after row 1 of 19 fsc, you turn for row 2 and chain 3; this ch3 is going to function as a dc in the row.  so then you do 18 dc, and counting the ch3 you have 19 total.

row 3 you ch 1 but that doesn't count as a st.  then you sc in the 18 dc of row2 AND in the top of the ch3 that started row 2 and counts as a dc, thus again you have a total of 19 sts.  

Makes sense?  

pattern link for reference http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/vortex-scarf

Welcome to Crochetville!

Kathy gave an excellent explanation! 

Are you fairly new to crocheting?  Did you have an trouble doing the fsc for the foundation?  If yes, then you can replace the 19 fsc with ch 20, turn, sc in the 2nd chain from the hook, 18 sc (total of 19 sc). 

You're going to have 19 stitches in every row.  The purpose of a turning chain (the chain that gets you from a row to the next row) is to get up to the height of the next stitch.  Sometimes it counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.  Here's a guide for turning chains ...

SC: ch 1 for the turning chain. It doesn't count as a stitch. The first stitch in the row is done in the first > and the last stitch is done in the previous row's last stitch (This is a >, if the previous row was SC or the top of the previous row's turning chain, if it was a row with a higher stitch).

HDC: ch 1 or 2 for the turning chain.  Sometimes it counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.  The pattern will let you know.  Follow the SC rules if it doesn't count as a stitch and the DC rules if it does.

DC: ch 2 or 3 for the turning chain.  It counts as a stitch.  The first actual stitch in the row is done in the second > and the last stitch is done in the previous row's last stitch (See SC above).

TR: ch 3 or 4 for the turning chain.  Same rules as DC.

Hello! I am pretty new, as I normally only crochet simple projects! I was able to learn the fsc after seeing an instructional video. Now, when it says "turn- 19 dc", do I literally turn what I have the other way, and dc all the way to the 3 ch?

The "turn" is telling you to start a new row.  Turn your project so that you're at the beginning of the next row.

The "- 19 DC" and "- 19 SC" aren't instructions.  They are a count of the number of stitches.  Their purpose is to give you a guide so that when you count, it match their number.

I think it's the count at the end that's been throwing you off.  If you were trying to use the count as an instructions, it would be very confusing.

Archived