Sl St Kt

cooncat_mom

Question

Hi! I'd like to do the Red Heart pattern for the Child's Friendship Knot Sweater, but I can't quite figure out the bottom band on it.  The instructions are:

Special Stitches

Sl St Kt (Slip Stitch Knit) = With right side of

work facing, working in opposite work-flow

direction, insert hook in back loop of previous

row slip st, yo and pull loop through st and

loop on hook. Repeat as instructed.

I haven't heard of this stitch before (which looks similar to a knit band) and I tried Googling it with no success.)  It looks almost like a slip stitch with a reverse slip stitch but I'm not sure. Any thoughts...?

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I found a link to the pattern ...

https://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/WR1980.pdf

That's really cute!  It looks like the bottom band and the neck band are made the same way.  Normally you work a row, turn, work the opposite side's row, turn, etc.  For this you're not turning.  You're working a row from right to left, then working a row from left to right.  Working in the opposite direction will feel awkward at first.

• Start with your chain.
  • Normal direction: make a slip stitch in each chain (starting with the 2nd chain in the first row)
  • Opposite direction: Ch 1.  Insert your hook in the back loop of the stitch to your right.  YO.  Draw the yarn through the stitch and through the loop on your hook, just like you would a sl st.

You're making slip stitches backwards, because they're in the stitch behind your hook, instead of the normal next stitch.  This technique is similar to the reverse single crochet (aka crab stitch.)  There are several videos out there for the crab stitch.  However, you're not making that stitch, just going in the same direction.

I hope this helps! 

Thank you! And thanks for finding that link, I tried to put it up last night, but I was on a work computer (bad girl!) and it wouldn't let me. Your explanation sounds like what I thought it was so will practice it with some scrap yarn. I'm doing the body of the sweater with Caron Soft Party in Violet Varigated (purple/grey) and the knot belt in Caron Soft Party in Platinum. Looking forward to seeing my granddaughter model it!

Thanks again for your help!

Archived