Need help on Pattern from The Big Book of Dishcloths

Batwoman

Question

I am trying to make a dishcloth from a book titled THE BIG BOOK OF DISHCLOTHS.  If anyone has this book the number I am having issues with is pattern #60, on page 34.

I just cannot understand what they want me to do.   I will type out the instructions so anyone else can offer help too - would not need the book.

Chain 46.   Row 1: (right side) Working in the back ridges of beginning chain, sc in second ch from hook.  *ch 1, skip next ch, sc in next ch; repeat from * across: 23 sc.

Rows 2-28: Ch 1, turn; working in Back Loops Only, sc in first sc, (ch 1, sc in next sc) across; do not finish off.

I have started this dishcloth twice and each time I keep ending up with a lot of stitches and it begins to look more like a doily so I  know it is something I am missing in the translation of the pattern from the page to my brain.

Would appreciate help from whomever is willing.

Thanks heaps in advance.

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville!

First, count the stitches in the first row. You should only have 23 sc.

Did that - first row is good but when I start row 2 - I do a sc

Welcome to the Ville!

First, count the stitches in the first row. You should only have 23 sc.

Did that and yep, only 23.  It is the second and third rows where I go haywire........ row 2 - sc in first sc, (ch 1, sc in next sc) across.

This is where I screw up.  I am presuming all of the instructions within the parentheses are to be done for rows 2 - 28.  That is what I have been doing.  SC, chain 1, sc in next sc  across, next row same thing.  I know there is something I am missing here......and it must be obvious but I am clueless and getting frustrated because the instructions read so easy.........

**banging head on desk**

Kathy - I have not counted second row sc.................duh...........thanks for that info...........gotta restart the thing again as I took it all out.  Gonna go and try that and will let you know, more likely tomorrow.........getting late for me or maybe more like I am just getting tired.
Toodles and thanks for the reply.

I think this stitch pattern would be a wee bit hard to 'read' your stitches, to not accidentally sc into a chain and not a sc in later rows, which would certainly mess up the stitch count.  

Try gently pulling the fabric before making the next stitch, to clearly see the gap of the chain and skipping that gap to make sure you're working into the sc.  After a few rows as the pattern develops you probably can see where you are better and wouldn't have to do this as much.

Hi Batwoman: 

With yarn and hook, and after checking out the pattern in the book, it dawned on me that in Row 2 (not counting the ch 1, turn), the final st count is 23 sc + 22 ch 1= 45 st total across. Could this be what is throwing you off?

In fairness to all crocheters, stitch count should say: (23 sc and 22 ch 1).

Thanks for the tips ladies.  I went back and started over and counted the 1st and 2nd rows and a couple of others in between AND it works.    Not sure where my brain was yesterday when I was attempting this very easy pattern but thank you to the folks who set me on the straight path.   Mine is not as tight as the one in the book, I just don't like to do all of them so tight - this one could be a bit tighter but it will work this time around.

Thanks  again .

Thanks for the tips ladies.  I went back and started over and counted the 1st and 2nd rows and a couple of others in between AND it works.    Not sure where my brain was yesterday when I was attempting this very easy pattern but thank you to the folks who set me on the straight path.   Mine is not as tight as the one in the book, I just don't like to do all of them so tight - this one could be a bit tighter but it will work this time around.

Thanks  again .

So glad you got it sorted out. I find if I'm using cotton thread, I prefer one size larger hook. It's easier for me tor wring the dishcloths out when wet if there is more drape. Have fun!

Thank you to all who replied with tips.  YEP I was counting stitches and spaces......duh but I really appreciate all of the members who offered advice.  Guess I need to close this one out as needing help.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to write out suggestions.

Archived