Stitches in the Round

Heather Wallaker Seebeck

Question

3 answers to this question

there is no formula, that i know of, for chainging from rows to rounds.  sometimes it is extremely easy and other times you have to tinker.  we can't really help if we can't see the pattern you have.

where did you find the stitch pattern....name of book or website?   

in general, i personally would probably start by sketching the stitch pattern in rows, and try to visualize what it would take to do it in rounds.  I would then swatch it and see if my idea worked; rip and redo until i either figured it out or decided it wasn't going to work.   other people are more math-oriented and can figure out things that way which is probably more efficient   :P

if you are going to make a ball shape you will also need to incorporate increases/decreases to follow the curve of the sphere.  that part can get really daunting if you want to stay in pattern.  

I agree with all of the above.  

Stitches look different on the front and back; actually I'd be a little more concerned with the look of a stitch pattern designed to have all their fronts showing (worked in the round) being changed to every other row with their backs showing (worked in rows), versus one designed with half the rows' backsides showing changed to all sides facing front.  

Trying to invent a way to increase/decrease on a complex stitch pattern (that ends up looking decent) is daunting. Ball shapes usually have decreases/increases in the top and bottom with some number of middle rounds worked even; you might consider plainer stitches at the tops and bottoms (chain loop netting is very forgiving for example) and your flower pattern around the 'equator'.  

Archived