PEPPERMINT THROW

TeresaPendino

Wow!!  I can't wait to see it finished.  Your motifs are very beautiful and uniform (hard to do over time!)  :)

Thank you.  I'm freaking out a little because I need to come up with a 2" border to get close to dimensions I gave client.  (long story).  I'm hoping you ladies here will help me come up with a solution while I am assembling!  I am hoping to find one that won't take too long.  I am already behind the goal I had set for completion. TIA

What do you think of something simple, like alternating red & white rows of sc or dc? Let the color pull it together, instead of fact stitching.

​That's what I was thinking but doing solid red to break up the business?  I don't know if you have made this but assembly is something else, lol.  If I am crazy enough to do this pattern again, I will NEVER use CSS for it!  I love this yarn but definitely not a good choice for this pattern. IMO.  My stress level is through the roof because of my time crunch... I just have to breathe and focus.  

I avoid most motif patterns, because I hate joining after the fact.  I'll do them only if I can do a join as you go.  I have 300+ mini-granny squares in a bag waiting to be joined into a throw.  They've been in that bag well over a year.  I cringe when I think about them, because they took me a long time to make them all uniform.  Someday, I'm going to throw them out.  The likelihood of me joining them is almost nil.  The only joining I don't seem to mind is mile-a-minute panels.  I usually do a decorative join, rather than an invisible one.

Solid red would work.  I was thinking of the alternating, because it would look like a candy cane going around.  If you did sc, you could do, 2 rounds of each color to keep the color changes to a minimum.  Whatever you do, I like the idea of keeping it super simple, instead of fancy.

@redrosesdz  Oh boy... 300!  Must be for an Around the World Blanket.  I think the thought of tossing makes me feel just as...  so much work!!!!!  Maybe set a goal of joining X amount a day?  

I seen a nice red & white border somewhere.  I think it was on the Peppermint Twist throw.  I can't remember.  It looked REALLY nice.  I can't seem to find it again but I remember the lady said it took a bit of time to do.  Time is something I don't have, unfortunately.

I think once I'm done joining (which seems to be taking forever), I will do a sc border in white.  I will measure that and give her the finished dimensions and see what she says.  I will offer to add the border and go from there.  I only charged her $150 and that is a fair price for this finished size.    If I ever do this again, it will be with a diff yarn and will be charging much more.  I've seen them sell between $185-$300.  I know it will depend on my market but with this one, they either want to pay it or not, lol.  Won't hurt my feelings if I don't get another order for this.. I know, I sound plum awful!  

My husband has seen me so stressed out over this one that he said, "I think it's time for another quilt"  I asked why, he said "because it would be for us or one of the boys and you wouldn't be near as stressed".  He knows it is harder for me to make quilts, though because of my vision (20/100 uncorrectable).  Therefore, I only dabble in the quilting world, lol. 

Hi Teresa, I agree with the others that a simple DC border alternating red and white would be nice. The pieces and the join are so complex, that a fancy border would compete for attention.

I made a Tshirt quilt once for a friend who's daughter was a gymnast. I don't know why but I just don't like working on Tshirt quilts (I have one in progress for my husband and my late brother's widow and just can't buckle down). Anyway, when I delivered it to her at the gym, some of the other moms asked me how much it would cost to make one for them. I told them $200. They were all thinking it would be $80 or so. I laughed - I have a longarm machine and would charge a customer at least $80 just for the quilting, much less all the measuring and prepping and sewing to make the quilt itself.

Sharon, please don't throw away 300 blocks. We will all have nightmares about that!!

I am so relieved to say I am FINISHED!  it is currently in the wash for Quality Assurance.  Client was ok with dimensions  so I  bordered it with 1 rnd dc (white) and 1 rnd sc (red).  I think the simplicity really set it off!  I am very pleased with the final outcome.  With this said, I re-interate that if I have to do this pattern again, I will not use CSS.  It is my "go to" yarn but seriously slowed me down on assembly.  I also will not go over a "K" hook with it and that will not obtain proper gauge.

post-69018-0-05969100-1481390948_thumb.jpgpost-69018-0-24005900-1481390957_thumb.jpg

post-69018-0-05833600-1481391051.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid most motif patterns, because I hate joining after the fact.  I'll do them only if I can do a join as you go.  I have 300+ mini-granny squares in a bag waiting to be joined into a throw.  They've been in that bag well over a year.  I cringe when I think about them, because they took me a long time to make them all uniform.  Someday, I'm going to throw them out.  The likelihood of me joining them is almost nil.  The only joining I don't seem to mind is mile-a-minute panels.  I usually do a decorative join, rather than an invisible one.

Solid red would work.  I was thinking of the alternating, because it would look like a candy cane going around.  If you did sc, you could do, 2 rounds of each color to keep the color changes to a minimum.  Whatever you do, I like the idea of keeping it super simple, instead of fancy.

I would like to encourage you to try this continuous join method as shown by Ville member bethintx.

that takes you to the first vid (of 4) but the rest are listed below.  It is the method to use IMHO for grannies and it goes so quickly once you get the rhythm.

I just want to encourage Theresa for doing this ghan.  :yay  :clap  :yay  :clap  :yay 

I so want to make this and even watch Mikey's vid often and often.  Must do it soon... if I ever get my crochet hands back.

Thanks, Darski! It's the best join that I've seen for my "project in the back of the closet." If I ever pick it up again, I hope I remember this. The 300+ mini squares are solid color or split diagonally with 2 colors. When put together, they make a giant 8 point star. I'm not sure if adding a round will distort the picture, even though I'd do the proper color changes. I'll give it some thought.

Anyone out there make a picture graph with mini grannies? Will adding a round for joining distort the picture?

Thanks, Darski! It's the best join that I've seen for my "project in the back of the closet." If I ever pick it up again, I hope I remember this. The 300+ mini squares are solid color or split diagonally with 2 colors. When put together, they make a giant 8 point star. I'm not sure if adding a round will distort the picture, even though I'd do the proper color changes. I'll give it some thought.

Anyone out there make a picture graph with mini grannies? Will adding a round for joining distort the picture?

yes it would set each square apart because you would have 2 rows ( one row for ea sq) between your pattern.  It is possible that it would still make your image but just segmented.

Ah, that makes sense.  I don't wanted a segmented image, though.  It for someone that loves 8 pointed stars, so I need the image to be solid.  (assuming I ever pick it up again!)  She wanted 2 throws ... one for her bed and one for her computer chair.  Last year I made 2 throws for her, just not the 8 pointed star.  So, finishing it isn't a necessity.

Archived