PEPPERMINT THROW

TeresaPendino

Hi everyone.  I have started the Peppermint Throw. If anyone would like to do a CAL with this, I am currently at 12/30 on the small ones and 1/42 on large ones (rounds 1-10).  I hope you all will join me!

post-69018-0-63973900-1478200480_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is a very ambitious project. Are you hoping to have it finished for Christmas?

I have never actually finished an afghan before except for small baby throws...but I will be cheering you on.

Thank you. :)  It's not too bad once you get your groove.  I took a day to get used to the pattern by doing one of each motif which is also needed to obtain gauge.  I will say I could not have done this without that video.  It is a essential for this. in my opinion.  My problem (like with any project) is being able to sit still to make some progress.  I did a lot of research before starting and it takes about 80 crochet hours:  20 mins for each small motif and an hour for each large one, then the assembly.  This is a commissioned piece.  She did not give me a deadline but I told her about 4-6 weeks.  My recommends if you do this one are listed below.  Hope you find them helpful.

• Keep your tension loose.  
  • Obtain your gauge.  (I had to go up to a K using CSS)
  • If you use CSS the process will be a bit slower, harder to work with because of the tension.  If I make another, I will be using the yarn that the pattern recommends.  
  • Do all small motifs first.  This will help get the feel of the pattern before you tackle the large ones.  I promise you, after 5 motifs, it all starts "clicking".  Now I don't have to use the video.  It is the first 3 rounds that is a bit tricky.  Only because I had never done interlocking before.  
  • Use the suggestions in the video.  Do all 42 Rounds 1-10, then do Rnd 11 on them.  I plan to put mine in labeled zip lock bags to stay organized so it goes together correctly.  (There is different edgings for them; ike so many are one edging, so many are another, etc)

I've had this on my crochet to do list for a while and it's gorgeous, I think it would also be pretty in a green and white, to resemble spearmint candies. But peppermint is my favorite hard candy. I'll do this eventually and in the meantime, cheer you on! Keep posting progress and pics!

This is totally on my to-do list as well! I have had my eye on this pattern for a few years now. Alas, I'm going to have to sit out. I will be lucky to get all my projects done! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

My sister found a similar throw on etsy ($160) and sent me the link saying maybe for a future christmas?

I texted back "yeah right"

The yarn is $80 and i cannot imagine the time involved.

My sister thinks this stuff is a weekend project.

I know right!  I paid $52 for my yarn and still undercharged at $150.  If I for some crazy reason decide to do another, it will be no less than $200.  I am using CSS and it is harder to work with for this pattern.  Had to go up to a K to obtain gauge and go slower to maintain proper tension because of it.

I trulyMy sister found a similar throw on etsy ($160) and sent me the link saying maybe for a future christmas?

post-69018-0-71108600-1478357260_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:  30/30 done (small motif)  I will put my recommends at this point below.

• I have 12.5 crochet hrs in, about 23 mins each.  I am having to go slower than normal.  I had seen where someone had done the large one in 20 mins, most say an hour each for those.
  • ​I use this technique  VIDEO to finish off my squares. Looks so much nicer than the usual "pull it through"
  • When you 2dc (interlocking part, round 3), pull the front "wheel" and back "wheel" away from each other. (towards you and away from you) then ch2 and do the next 2dc.  This will make since when you do this pattern.  This helps kinda poof things and lays them down aligned where they should be.  
  • Remember that the red will make rings on the back, so keep your stitches uniformed so they will fall nice and neat on the back.

I'm a bit concerned with my gauge.  I am measuring out at 6" for rounds 1-10 on large motif.  Pattern states 7 something.  I'm not sure if they are including round 11 (final round) on their gauge or not.  These look a bit small compared to some I have seen and photo on pattern.  I got one lady to measure and it matched mine.  I need to find out what her finished afghan size was.   :worried (worried)

My sister found a similar throw on etsy ($160) and sent me the link saying maybe for a future christmas?

Weekend project?? :lol yeah, sewing it together is a weekend project. Ugh.

Well Teresa, you sure have collected one heck of a cheer section. You are brave enough to start the project we all reserved for "some day". I started a snowflake ghan a few years ago, then downgraded it to a scarf but it is currently a small stack of blocks. Cute snowflakes, but they required an awful lot of concentration on my part.

Well Teresa, you sure have collected one heck of a cheer section. You are brave enough to start the project we all reserved for "some day". I started a snowflake ghan a few years ago, then downgraded it to a scarf but it is currently a small stack of blocks. Cute snowflakes, but they required an awful lot of concentration on my part.

​It is truly appreciated too!  I'm going to need it, lol.  I gotta have PEEPS! or this will take me forever.  I am currently 3/42.  Yesterday was not a good day.  My memory was being a pain, kept having to go back to the video for part of it even though I had done it 30 times already.  Not sure what my deal was yesterday. 

I had seriously thought about that snowflake one.  Have a friend who was major hinting around for it.  I just couldn't bring myself to tackle it.  Not to mention that same person had just "tossed aside" some dishcloths and towels I made her that she asked for when I handed them to her.  No "much appreciated", "thank you" or anything.  She has hinted around about a Stevie Nicks Vest I had made a client, too.  I just can't bring myself to create for her because of her lack of appreciation.  I prob shouldn't be that way, but I crochet slow, I have 20/100 uncorrectable vision, so for me to produce is not as easy as some.  With that said, I did manage to make her a set of potholders & dishcloths for a housewarming gift (she supplied the materials)  I FORGIVE but don't FORGET.  I'm sure, unfortunately, we all have these kinds of stories.

Hope you guys have a great day!  Hubby has asked for Hot Wings & the such for him and his friend so I need to get to it.  Hopefully, I can finish up soon and get started back on my peppermints. 

Hey Teresa, I hear ya. I quilt and some people think I can just poop a quilt out overnight. It cracks me up.

It really doesn't take long to figure out who appreciates hand made and who doesn't.

You so made my night!  (poop a quilt out overnight) LOL  I dabble in quilting, as well.  Not much due to my vision, but I have a true love of quilts.  I have made a King Size Cathedral Window by machine and did the windows by hand.  I have also done a deer scene panel quilt and an hourglass.  Any whoooo, thanks for popping in and making me smile. :)

Popping in to touch base.  it seems as if life is super chaotic this week.  I haven't gotten much accomplished.  I don't foresee things slowing down until Monday.  Currently I am at 12/42.  I really need a solid day of quiet.  I need to be able to avoid my "to do" list to get some descent headway on this. This order was placed last week of October, took me a week to get my supply in, so starting date was Nov 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teresa, I was anxious to see how you were doing. Sorry you had a bad week. Seems like we all get those now and then.

A king size cathedral Windows quilt is really an accomplishment! I have never made that pattern.

Hope you are back at it!!

Hi Teresa, I was anxious to see how you were doing. Sorry you had a bad week. Seems like we all get those now and then.

A king size cathedral Windows quilt is really an accomplishment! I have never made that pattern.

Hope you are back at it!!

Good morning!  Thank you so much for checking on me.  It is coming along, slowly.  As I mentioned above, I'm not one to sit still for periods of time.  With that said, this has caused severe lower back pain.  After a few days of recoup, I have found a way to sit to where I can get back at it.  With this being interlocking (and when I do graphgans) I have to sit at a table to do it.  If I tried in my lap, it would be a tangled mess of a nightmare, lol.  My goal is to have it complete by the end of this month.  I am currently at 30/30 small motifs and 23/42 large motifs (rounds 1-10)  Hope to find all well with you!  

post-69018-0-57722300-1479571010_thumb.jpg

5 large motifs to go.... then the edging x 42 and the final stretch of assembly.  I may have mentioned before but my completion goal was set at the end of this month.  That is not going to happen.  Life has been super stressful and busy so haven't been able to work on this full time.  I am very thankful client didn't give me a deadline. With that said, I still try my best to get it done as quickly as possible.  She seen the picture I am posting here and her response was very reassuring "Oh my gosh! They are beautiful.  You are so talented".  Made me feel so much better about being behind schedule.

Anyway, going to go for now.  Extremely exhausted and can't crochet like this either.  I did try that with a result of  :frog So I know not to attempt, lol.  

post-69018-0-25728900-1480209479_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived