Stitch help needed

merlpz

Question

My daughter would like a genie hat.  I have not been able to find any patterns or information on how to make one.  I did find this picture that is almost what I am thinking of doing but with black yarn instead and a gold "headband".  Especially how it comes to a point in the front.  My question is how I would make the point.  I understand making a standard beanie hat but in the last row of blue hat in the blue color would you maybe do a triple crochet in the front to get the point?

Any help would be so appreciated!  Thanks!!!!

post-78427-0-98320100-1474684055_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi and welcome! You need more than one triple. You need a series of graduated stitches. Most of row sc, then build up with hdc, dc, finally triples, on to even taller if you need them, then gradually back down in size. Final row can be hdc or dc, making an increase at the highest part for the point.

Welcome to Crochetville!

As Kathy just said, graduated stitches make a point or a wave.  The number of stitches as you get taller, and then smaller determines if it's a sharp point or more of a wave.  The height of the tallest stitch determines how much of a point.  If you look at the last round of blue, you'll see the taller stitches where the point is at. 

As you know, to get a taller stitch, you wrap the yarn and continue to pull through 2, until it's done.  To get a half stitch, you wrap the yarn, pull through 2 until you have 3 loops, then pull through 3.  To get a point the height of a tr, you'll need 3 stitches graduating up, 1 tall, and 3 stitches graduating down = 7 stitches.

Do your last round of sc, except for 7 stitches where you want the point.  For those 7 stitches, do hdc, dc, htr, tr, htr, dc, hdc.

Then when you make your change in color, that point will continue.

Archived