Question

Hello! I'm a beginner at crochet, and so far the only thing I've made was a basket, and the instructions were written in print. I thought I had gotten the hang of it now and wanted to try something more complex and found a coin purse pattern.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to read this chart.

I could figure out the double crochet, but I have no idea what the slanty ones are, or the round ones, or how to connect what looks like the bottom part of the pattern to the walls.

If someone could provide some clues or point me to a chart, that would be a great help!

Edited by Amy
Removed link to infringing pattern

4 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

there are a lot of crocheters who love to use diagram patterns---I am one of them, I adore diagrams!  i would suggest you start with a flat pattern to get the hang of using diagrams.  Annies has a good tutorial that walks you through a diagram for a small doily (it would make a nice piece to hang in a window, or a Christmas ornament) https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=708&type_id=S&scat_id=3  See if that helps you.

Sadly the internet has many sites that illegally copy books and post page scans online, and the link you gave goes to one of those.  as such it violates the Crochetville guidelines.  

We can look for a similar pattern for a small bag that we can find a legitimate source for.  One good source is Pierrot yarns site with diagrammed patterns and English text for a bit of construction explanation http://gosyo.shop.multilingualcart.com/free1.php

also in case you are used to using UK/Australian terms, the symbols are universal and represent how the stitch is made, not the way it is named (US sc = UK dc and so on)

Edited by magiccrochetfan

on the Pierrot page, if you look at 210-52, it is quite similar to the one you linked.  it has the same kind of flat bottom, and the flap is a small doily.  

(Pierrot is a Japanese yarn company and they provide these patterns free, like many other yarn companies do.)

:D Thank you very much!! Both the doily walk through and the pattern library are great! I'll definitely try crocheting the doily first so I can learn how to read this darn thing.

*_* These patterns are seriously cute and the one you pointed me to is a pretty good match! Thanks a lot!!

Edited by Magenny

You're very welcome  :)    Let us know how you get along with the tutorial, will be happy to help if needed :hook