First Attempt at Thread Crochet (pic heavy)

redrosesdz

I love the beautiful stitch definition in thread crochet.  I'm especially in awe of Veronika's fabulous doilies.  I've been scared of trying it.  Last May a friend from a yarn group needed 50 coaster size doilies to make battery tea light holders for her son's wedding reception.  A bunch of people volunteered to help.  Here are some of the ones I made, before they were molded into a cup.

post-57407-0-78839600-1472582035_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-87255000-1472582052_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-88019300-1472582067_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-55569800-1472582081_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-14411600-1472582095_thumb.jpg

I made a couple of more, but forgot to get pics before giving them away. 

Sharon they came out really nice!:). No one could tell that is a first try.

I do have that "thing" against crocheting with thin thread. I just do not like to deal with those tiny hooks and tiny stitches. Even the thought of that make me think that my eyes are already starting to cross!  :2spin

Krys

I think it is a good start!

I am happy that I was able during my holiday in Carintha this June/July to motivate a cousin of mine to also try something with sewing thread! I gave her a 0,35 mm TULIP hook and a spool of Gütermann sewing thread C Ne 50 to try. A few days ago she has sent me a pic of her first sewing thead doily.

Thanks everyone!

Veronika: I'm thrilled that you think it's a good start.  That's encouragement for me to keep going and maybe try ones a bit more complex and bigger.  These were all done with size 10 Aunt Lydia's thread.  Size 50 is tiny!!

Sharon they are very pretty and well done. I was surprised you'd never picked up a small hook before. I was thrilled when Clover came out with the Amour hooks in the thread size. I have a few more to pick up to make a complete set. They saved the day for me to not have to give up thread crochet because of some silly old arthritis in my hands. Keep on trucking....I mean hookin'! :D 

I was going to ask that question long time ago, But I was forgetting..

It is about that (Picture Heavy) on the subject line. WHY members feel they need to write that when they posting few pictures?. By writing that on subject line is that suppose to do something??. Or is that some kind a "Warning"? LOL.

Krys

Thanks everyone!!

Krys, I write (pic heavy) when it's more than 3 pictures.  A few people have trouble loading pages that have a lot of attachments. It's just a courtesy message for those with a slow connection, so that they can either skip looking or so that they know it may take a while for the page to open.  For example, my mom has an old computer with win 7 and she has the slowest/cheapest internet connection.  So, I know that if I'm opening a page on her computer with a video or a lot of attached pictures, it's going to take 1-5 minutes to load.  The message doesn't mean anything for the majority that have enough power to open any page quickly.

Thanks everyone!!

Krys, I write (pic heavy) when it's more than 3 pictures.  A few people have trouble loading pages that have a lot of attachments. It's just a courtesy message for those with a slow connection, so that they can either skip looking or so that they know it may take a while for the page to open.  For example, my mom has an old computer with win 7 and she has the slowest/cheapest internet connection.  So, I know that if I'm opening a page on her computer with a video or a lot of attached pictures, it's going to take 1-5 minutes to load.  The message doesn't mean anything for the majority that have enough power to open any page quickly.

Thank you Sharon.  I did not knew that and now I know:)

From now on I will do that too.

Krys

Thanks, Anna!  I saw the pics from the wedding reception, but don't have a copy.  There were 50 different doilies all stiffened in the shape of a bowl with tea lights.  There's one pic of all of them on a table, before they were spread around.  They looked very lovely with the light shinning through.  I'm sure that they cast a variety of light images, similar to a mirrored ball.  The next time I know someone getting married (hopefully one/both of my sons someday), I'm going to suggest doing the same thing.

Archived