LED Lighted Rug

I had the same thought.  Maybe use it as wall art instead?

Also, you have a cord to plug it into the wall...meh. Interesting but impractical.

Might be interesting to use those tiny battery operated lights in a doily (you can get them at the Dollar store at Christmastime)...but just remembered they have a battery box thing attached, you'd have to get creative to hide that, maybe a big lumpy flower in the middle of the doily...hmm...

I had the same thought.  Maybe use it as wall art instead?

Also, you have a cord to plug it into the wall...meh. Interesting but impractical.

Might be interesting to use those tiny battery operated lights in a doily (you can get them at the Dollar store at Christmastime)...but just remembered they have a battery box thing attached, you'd have to get creative to hide that, maybe a big lumpy flower in the middle of the doily...hmm...

I have seen this website before and I'm with Granny Square- wall hanging. I would never step on something like that.

For wall art: It would be cute to crochet a large Christmas tree or a Menorah or a snowman, all with lights inside! Probably hard on the hands though to crochet it up.

I have to admit that every time I see a crocheted rug, especially in thick yarn, all i can think is how easy it would be to trip over.  And with this one, most of its reason for being will be gone once the lights burn out.

Actually, this seems to be a very clever idea.  I like the aesthetics of the light coming through the crochet stitches/yarn.  As a rug it would seem to be rather bulky and somewhat unsafe because of the lights.  However, it is truly a great conversation piece.    As a wall hanging it would be lovely.  Even as a table accent for a Christmas village or maybe a smaller, thinner version to hang in a window.  Hmmmmm..... lots to think about.  Thanks for sharing.

That is cool but I agree also, I wouldn't step on it either. What I was thinking though was changing out the colors and the pattern, like a lighted heart for Valentines Day or a shamrock for St Patty's day or even a light up Easter Egg, all flat of course. I think the rope lights may come in different colors. I have never used them though.

Roe

Ah, that makes sense, and would be really cool.  Might be a little awkward to set up (since most tree skirts are split), but not impossible.

The split in the tree skirt  might be the ideal place for the cord!  ???

I wouldn't mind getting a thinner led light cord. That way, I can create a fake Christmas tree display on the higher shelf next to the wall.

I wouldn't do it for an actual Christmas tree because of the fire hazard. Think about the gifts laying around under the tree, right on the skirt itself...

What I meant was, the rug was made in a continuous spiral, so it had no split.  Those 'lights in a plastic hose' (I'm sure they have a cooler real name) aren't super bendy, or at least ones I've seen, so I think it would be hard or probably not advisable (wire kinking) to make a flat piece, turning the hose 360 degrees at the end of each row, to create a circle with a slit.

Tahlara posted while I was typing, I'm not sure about fire danger unless you put a super heavy item on it.  The plastic is pretty stiff & I think would hold up to the usual toy or clothing type of gift.  But, I don't think I'd put a box of candy on it, the hose might get warm...

Archived