Caron Cakes yarn

LegalWoman17

The new yarn made by Caron:  Cakes !!

This yarn was recently released by Caron.  The Cakes are 7.1 oz/200 grams, 80% acrylic/20% wool, hand wash (but you might get away with the gentle cycle -- not sure).

It is wonderfully soft !  Even though it is a 4-ply yarn, it is very lightweight.  For example, one "cake" is 200 grams for 7.1 ounces.  RHSS is over 300 grams for 7 ounces. 

The yarn drapes very well.  I started an afghan using the cakes I bought and I am quite pleased with how is moves.  Despite the lightweight description, the afghan is quite warm.

The only issue some people may have is:  the color change is quite abrupt.  There is no gradual color change.  Boom, it just changes.  However, these are not short choppy changes.  The color goes on for quite awhile before changing.  I was able to get about three rows of one color before the change occurred.

It is a bit pricey, but overall worth it.

I highly recommend this yarn. 

post-14703-0-09624400-1471781466_thumb.jpg

post-14703-0-56388700-1471781569_thumb.jpg

They look cool.  Love the colors.  Lots of the cotton has abrupt color change like that.  Thanks for the info.

I looked these up and they are only at Michaels.  I even looked on the Caron web site trying to get a price.

Love the colors they offer.

I picked them up on Saturday at my Michael's.  Price wasn't bad because all the yarn was buy 2 get 1 free.  They are $7.99 each so I paid $5.33 each.  Trying to figure out what I want to make with them.  I picked up 3 each of 3 different colors.

I picked up some yesterday at Michaels . I got two each of three different color ways. They are being sold exclusively at Michael's and the deal of buy 2 get 1 was great. I also had a 40% off 1 item Not sure what to make. Maybe a shawlette or scarf

I haven't been to Michaels in a while, I'll have to check it out!

I think you made a wee typo, which I only noticed because the ratio of grams to ounces is constant and thought you must have meant yardage.  Looking at a label right now, RHSS is 7 oz, or 198 grams with checks with google conversion.  Yardage is 364, divided by 112 ounces = 3.25 yards per ounce.

Per Michael's, Caron Cakes' 7.1 oz = 200 grams, google says 201, close enough.  Yardage is 383--19 yards more than the slightly smaller RH skein, and 3.39 yards per ounce, so is a bit lighter.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this yarn will work well with Caron pounders ? I assumed the gauge of WW yarn is similar. I suspect they block rather different as the cakes do have some wool beside acrylic. Anyone try a blocked swatch ?

ETA: I plan to check it out at a local Michael's after the Labor Day holidays. It look like an interesting yarn to add into my stash!

I wonder if this yarn will work well with Caron pounders ? I assumed the gauge of WW yarn is similar. I suspect they block rather different as the cakes do have some wool beside acrylic. Anyone try a blocked swatch ?

ETA: I plan to check it out at a local Michael's after the Labor Day holidays. It look like an interesting yarn to add into my stash!

No, I do not believe this yarn would go well with Caron Pounders.  The cakes are much softer than the pounders.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just came to this board to post a topic on this yarn LOL! I am planning to go to Michael's today and fingers crossed they have at least 2 skeins, because I have 2 projects I want to make that call for 1 skein each. 

Here's the little vest I want to make for my daughter... http://www.thelavenderchair.com/ring-around-rosie-vest-crochet-pattern/

and Here's the kind of matching one for myself! .... http://www.thelavenderchair.com/pocket-full-posies-vest-crochet-pattern/

It will be a first because I haven't ever done clothing before. I did also notice they were on sale for somewhere between $4 & $5 right now too, 

No, I do not believe this yarn would go well with Caron Pounders.  The cakes are much softer than the pounders.

Ah, bummer. I have a lot of caron one pounders. I figure it will be a good way to use up the stash.

tahlara:  I've noticed that within a manufacturer name, if they put out a different "type" of yarn, it's because it's a different weight, texture or fiber mix.  If you want something to all look the same, your best bet is to stick with the type of yarn from the same manufacturer.  However, I've done some playing around with mixing different yarn weights and textures on the same project.  Most I didn't like, but there were some that turned out really cute.  It's a gamble.  Using different weights (even just a slight difference), the sections with the lighter yarn will look thinner.  I find that the difference can look interesting on stripes, like a ripple.  So, just because it's not the norm, give it a try.  Just test a large swatch first.

I love the color choices in this yarn--but--darn it!  My club makes things for charity, and we can't use wool, because too many people are allergic to it!

• 2 weeks later...
kittyloverdeb, on 19 Sept 2016 - 1:50 PM, said:

Started an afghan with this yarn over the weekend.  While I LOVE the yarn, the texture, softness and drape of it...I'm concerned that it is a "hand wash" and "air dry" yarn. 

Hi Deb!  :waving 

Did you complete this blanket? I stayed away from it cuz of the wool content and "Hand Wash" suggestion.

I love this yarn!!! I have made 5 half granny square shawls with it and one scarf so far. I washed one of them in cold water and gentle dry. It came out fine. I had seen many posts on fb and ravelry where people have said they washed it without any problems.

Heres a pic of one. ( which will probably post sideways Or upside down since I'm on my iPad)

post-27163-0-63496100-1475620641_thumb.jpg

imanurse55, on 04 Oct 2016 - 3:35 PM, said:

I love this yarn!!! I have made 5 half granny square shawls with it and one scarf so far. I washed one of them in cold water and gentle dry. It came out fine. I had seen many posts on fb and ravelry where people have said they washed it without any problems.

Heres a pic of one. ( which will probably post sideways Or upside down since I'm on my iPad)

Joanne- That's really pretty and you did a great job. Love your color choice too. I've made many shawls for others but not for myself. I should get crackin'.

FYI: I don't use the Apple devices, but if you're interested, there are many easy tutorials online for iPhones and iPads to make sure your photos are situated correctly to download to other types of devices. :)

Did you complete this blanket? I stayed away from it cuz of the wool content and "Hand Wash" suggestion.

Reni,  yes I did finish the afghan.  But I did not take a picture.  The afghan is very warm, very soft.

• 3 months later...

My sister and I saw the cakes a couple weeks ago. There were a number of beautiful colors, but the prices were high and there were no solid color cakes. I like to use solid colors along with multi colors.

Reni I am so, so sorry!  I have not been on here regularly in some time now.  Yes I completed the blanket.  I washed it on cold gentle in the washer and put it in the dryer on delicate.  It didn't dry it all the way but I was so afraid it would felt!  So I hung it over the shower curtain to finish drying and it turned out beautiful and oh so very soft!  If you do wash it this way, be aware that when it is damp the smell is horrible!  Must be the wool in it.  But once dry it was fine! 

• 3 weeks later...
kittyloverdeb, on 16 Jan 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:kittyloverdeb, on 16 Jan 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Reni I am so, so sorry!  I have not been on here regularly in some time now.  Yes I completed the blanket.  I washed it on cold gentle in the washer and put it in the dryer on delicate.  It didn't dry it all the way but I was so afraid it would felt!  So I hung it over the shower curtain to finish drying and it turned out beautiful and oh so very soft!  If you do wash it this way, be aware that when it is damp the smell is horrible!  Must be the wool in it.  But once dry it was fine! 

Oops- I forgot to check this thread again. Sorry. 

Thanks for the info Deb. I'm glad it turned out nice.

I went to a Michael's out of town last Saturday (no stores in my 2 horse town), but, they didn't have any Cakes. Sure wish these big yarn companies would not go exclusive where they selI their yarn. Anyway, I was going to go for a shawl. Oh well, probably just as well since there is wool in it.

I was In Joann's yesterday and saw a yarn similar to the cakes but a different brand. I can't remember the name or brand but it looked and felt the same. If anyone is going to Joann you may want to check it out.

ETA: Check website attached. This is 100% acrylic yarn. http://www.joann.com/premier-yarns-sweet-roll-yarn/zprd_15310436a.html?cgid=yarn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched the video (scroll down to video link) with Mikey from the CrochetCrowd narrating how Caron yarn is made and wound. Pretty interesting. Explains too about knots in the skeins/balls of yarn.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing Reni!

Your'e welcome Charis. I too found it interesting and learned a few things I had no clue about.

Archived