A fun way to sample new yarns

Jimmy Beans Wool (an LYS in Reno NV that also sells online) has a fun subscription called Beanie Bags....every month you get a little cloth zipped bag with some yarn samples and some kind of notion, as well as a crochet and knit pattern to use the 15-20 yds of each yarn.  It's a great way to sample the yarns because you have enough to make a nice swatch and really be able to see how you like the yarn.  They just posted a video of the August bag, so i thought people might be interested to see it.  I really love one of the yarns this month, the Flax.  Well, I haven't swatched the others yet so I may love them too lol 

here is the video 

What a clever marketing idea, and also sounds like fun!  I saw that they also have a bigger beanie bag subscription (50 yard balls), too, but come with only a knit pattern ( :( for those that don't also knit).  I also like that they start with a short 3 month subscription, in case you change your mind...

I haven't looked into the big bags very much---if I were to get whole skeins every month it would build up too quickly since I am so slow lol   With the little bags, it is just a swatch's worth so it doesn't feel like "I have all this yarn I don't know what to do with".  

For the little bags, you can just do a month to month sub which is what I've done.  So there's really not much commitment at all.  I love it because i like to sample diferent yarns and this is a very cost-effective way to do that.  

Great idea. A bead store I've purchased from did the same thing. Worked well for me so I could see if I liked the textures and colors for my bead projects.

Kathy- you come up with some of the neatest ideas to post about. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

When I get these bags, I have always loved the tiny balls of yarn and just enjoy looking at them :yarn :yarn

There have been several I have gone ahead and swatched to see how I like working with the yarn and what kind of stitch pattern works well for it.  I haven't really felt like I wanted to make a finished object, because once I do that, I can no longer swatch and play with the yarn.  But in July we got really cute mini-skeins of a wool yarn https://www.jimmybeanswool.com/details/beanieBagsMonthly/bbJul16.asp  The colors I got were like a rainbow.  I didn't really want to swatch with it, and thought about giving it away---the only time so far that I have even considered giving the samples away!  But then i decided to go ahead and make something and ended up with this 

post-10356-0-02692100-1474389934_thumb.jpg

the pattern is http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/cloudy-dishcloth.html

(love the stitch diagram!!)  it was fun and very quick to make.  I did get slightly off count a couple times but it worked out.  i wantes to use every bit of the yarn so at the end I added sc all around.   Now I'm wondering how quickly it will felt just with being used and washed.  I think it will make a good mat to set hot dishes on, as long as they are not extremely hot.  

thanks, Granny Square!  I wouldn't have thought of doing it in stripes if i hadn't been looking to use this yarn.  I wanted to make each stripe in one color but there are 8 rows and 6 colors, and i wanted to use every bit of yarn so i just crocheted each color til i ran out.  

the centers of the spirals want to pop up a bit on mine but it's starting to full a bit so that is less noticeable.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that it's gotten cold here and the days are so short, I was really happy to get my little "Christmas present to myself" in the mail  :D

The colors this month are so pretty!  

post-10356-0-71814300-1482024101_thumb.jpg

here's the yarn descriptions https://www.jimmybeanswool.com/details/beanieBagsMonthly/bbdec16.asp

My Mrs Crosby are the pink and yellow, and my Berroco are the multicolor and the aqua.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jill!  it's fun, isn't it?

Did you hear about their situation with the flood in Reno?  They had to move everything out of the warehouse, 20,000 square feet if i remember right.  They've been posting about it on Facebook.  then they moved to a new warehouse out of the flood plain.  And after all that I got my shipping notice today.  :yarn

Archived