I think I've been doing this wrong

Pinemom

Question

I was about 9 when my grandma (who was left handed) tried to teach me to knit and crochet. When I was expecting my first baby I had a lot of time on my hands and wanted to take up crochet again. I went to my great aunt( grandma's sister, as grandma passed away when I was 13) she showed me the way she and my grandma crocheted. I'm right handed so Inthink I may have picked up the wrong way to crochet. The reason I'm asking is because I had some one tell me that I'm doing it wrong.

So I'll explain the best I can. I hold the hook and yarn in the same hand, my right hand. When I yarn over my hook, I think that is where things go wrong. I have been doing it this way for so long I don't know if I can change.

Does it matter, the person who told me I was doing it wrong said that my crochet was ugly. Just made me so upset.

Someone please take a look at my pics I tried to take a picture of how I yarn over on a dbl crochet.

post-78087-0-56146800-1470469133_thumb.jpeg

post-78087-0-87530800-1470469430_thumb.jpeg

post-78087-0-81216900-1470469479_thumb.jpeg

post-78087-0-73790000-1470469523_thumb.jpeg

12 answers to this question

I'm sorry someone said that. I don't understand how you are doing it but if it works for you it isn't necessarly wrong.  This site might help if you want to try to do it with the yarn differently.

crocheting

There is no WRONG way.  There are standard ways, but if your way is different than standard, then that's what works for you.  Do you like how the finished product looks?  If yes, then it's right.

However, I can tell you why your crocheting looks different than the standard.  It's all in the direction that the yarn is wrapped around the hook.  I had no idea that direction mattered, until I tried knitting for the first time.  Wrapping the yarn for crocheting is the exact opposite of knitting.  Here's the standard for right-handed ...

• Crocheting: wrap yarn clockwise.  When you insert and grab the yarn, the hook goes under and the yarn goes on top to keep with the clockwise wrapping.
  • Knitting: wrap yarn counter-clockwise.  For continental knitting, the needle goes over the yarn and the yarn goes under to keep with the counter-clockwise wrapping.

I can see in you're photos that you're wrapping the yarn counter-clockwise.  I have no idea if this is standard for left-handed, since I don't know much about left-handed crocheting.

Having said all that, if you're comfortable and like the end results, don't bother trying to change it.  I happen to think that the work in your photos is lovely and unique!  The most important thing is that you enjoy doing it and enjoy the end results!!  :)

Fooey to the person who insulted your crochet, that was thoughtless and rude.

Interesting technique - speaking of knitting, it sort of looks like the so-called 'English' throwing knitting method, where all the work is done with the right hand.  What's different with knitting, with the clockwise/counterclockwise thing, is that it doesn't matter which way you wrap the yarn because a knit stitch is done in 2 steps.  Without going into a knitting lesson, it's the way the stitch is finished in the second step that keeps the stitches looking the same; the knitter can see whether the stitch is mounted counter- or clockwise, and work the stitch off the needle in a way that keeps the stitch oriented normally. Counterclockwise is (so called) "western", clockwise is "eastern".  

However for crochet, it's all done in 1 step, so if you wrap your yarn the 'other way', there's no second step to reorient it and the stitch will look a little different.  I agree with Redrosesdz, your work looks very nice, it's just got a little different texture than most of the rest of us, but I really don't see a reason for you to try to learn a new way.  I'd guess only a crocheter would notice, and even then they'd probably just think you found an interesting new stitch pattern.

I'm so sorry someone said your work was ugly---talking like that is what's ugly!  

Planet June has a site with a lot of interesting information.  She did a blog entry on "yarn over" (the standard way) compared to "yarn under" (the way you are doing it).  http://www.planetjune.com/blog/yarn-over-vs-yarn-under-in-crochet/   Her observations and conclusions are helpful in thinking about the issue, I think.  

First, i am left handed and i yarn over "wrong" as in it does not match the common written directions.....who cares, i followca pattern and the result is recognizable.

Second, looking at the photos your stiches look even and the resulting fabric is solid. It does not look at all ugly or wrong.

Was wondering if I'm doing the YU if ever I run into it in a pattern do I do the reverse and do the "correct" YO?

Going to try to learn the YO only because I like the challenge but I think I will always crochet my crazy family way

I can't recall ever seeing the Yarn-under in a pattern, but if it were, the purpose would probably be to add a different texture.  So yes, it would  make sense then to do a yarn-over instead.  

For learning the yarn-over, I would think it will be easier if you can hold the working yarn in one hand and the hook in the other.  

So I have been practicing the yo and I am having a hard time holding the yarn in the other hand. I am trying it my old way but doing yo instead of you but I am having to retrain my brain lol. I keep wanting to do yu.

Your crochet looks fine. Why would someone say it's ugly? She's probably jealous that you can do it with 1 hand and she can't.

:woo

Archived