Kimmie24

Basic cardigan sc (dc uk term)

I have been searching everywhere for a basic sc (Dc uk terms) baby cardigan so I can play around with it and try different stitches. The way my little brain works is, if I have a basic pattern to follow I can the dream of different designs and other ways of doing it. But without a basic pattern my brain won't function lol. I really hope someone out there has a basic pattern. If this is posted in the wrong section, please forgive me, I'm new. Thank you all for reading and helping. ????

Hi, welcome to the ville!

It seems to me like most baby sweaters are done in (US terms) hdc or dc, because these are more flexible stitches and will make a more wearable fabric.  Personally, I would start with one of these if I were doing the project.  If you want to incorporate different stitch patterns, I think that is most likely to need a framework of dc.  And a lot of these patterns will be top-down with raglan shaping, so the rate of increase at the raglan line will be different depending on the height of the stiches.

here are free baby cardigan patterns on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&fit=baby&sort=projects&pc=cardigan

you can change the attributes from the boxes on the left, to see ones that are in books or for sale individually

• Like 1

Hi, thank you so much, I have been searching for days, including ravelry. It's not a big change in stitch, I want to do the loop stitch as I have done it once before on a stitch marker case (I make my own stitch markers with bells on as I'm always leaving 1 or 2 on my projects). I don't understand about framework or raglan. I'm the only crocheter in my family so I don't have anyone with the knowledge . Once again thank you for helping, it's very kind of you.

Kim xoxoxo

Welcome to Crochetville!

Are you making it for a doll or for fun or for an actual baby?  If it's for a doll or for fun, check out the doll sweaters.  A lot of them are sc.  I think you'd have more luck there. 

If it's for an actual baby, loop stitches would be a no for so many reasons.  Baby's hands/fingers can get caught in the loops, the fabric is so dense that it's not breathable (unless you used really thin yarn), and adding all those loops would make it really heavy.  It might be used for pics, but wouldn't be practical for wearing.

Have you thought about making one toddler or little girl size?  You might have luck finding a pattern in one of those sizes.

Hi, thank you for your reply, it's an order for a photo shoot for a baby. I was a bit concerned about it for the same reasons but seen as the baby will be watched the entire time she is wearing it, my concerns went. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi, thank you so much, I have been searching for days, including ravelry. It's not a big change in stitch, I want to do the loop stitch as I have done it once before on a stitch marker case (I make my own stitch markers with bells on as I'm always leaving 1 or 2 on my projects). I don't understand about framework or raglan. I'm the only crocheter in my family so I don't have anyone with the knowledge . Once again thank you for helping, it's very kind of you.

Kim xoxoxo

Hi again Kimmie  :)    sorry, I did not mean to be confusing.  What I meant about framework was that a dc pattern would be a better starting point for various stitch patterns like shells, which are based on dc stitches.  I didn't know what kind of stitch patterns you wanted to put in the sweater and I thought dc-based patterns would give the most choices (as well as in my experience the best fabric).

So I take it the loop stitch you want to use is based on sc?  

Raglan is a style of sleeve, many of the ones in the Ravelry search are raglans, and made from the top down.  You start at the neck and make increases along 4 lines that will run from the neck to the underarm.  It's a classic sweater style and very easy to do in crochet.  I did not look closely enough at the Ravelry patterns to see how many of them might be done in sc.  Most are dc i think.  

I will look for an illustration of the sleeve styles and come back and post it.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan
  • Like 1

A comment on raglans - they are great (no sewing!), and once you get the hang of the construction, they are easy.  Here is a pattern where you plug in a bunch of numbers (your gauge, your intended finished measurements) and it spits out a custom pattern for you, which works with crochet or knit.  It's a bit general, and assumes you understand the construction.

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html

One thing, though--raglans are particular about your vertical stitch gauge.  With other styles, you can usually just worry about horizontal gauge and fudge vertical by adding or subtracting rows.  With raglans, if your stitches are shorter than the designer's, you will end up with armhole openings that are way too small (I have this problem with a wonderful designer that makes tall stitches, and I make short ones, so I can't use her raglan patterns).  If you are serious about playing with different stitch patterns, the above pattern may work better for you...but also might not be a bad idea to see if you can find a simple one to practice on first from a pattern in post 2.

• Like 1

Hi - -magiccrochetfan thank you so much, u are very kind. It doesn't take much to confuse me these days lol. Raglan style sounds really nice, I have tried baby cardigans before and gave up as my sewing together bit was a complete mess. So I thought I will try again and this time I will get it. Once again, thank you for your help, I appreciate it a lot. xoxoxo

I've further refined the pattern link in post 2 to show just free baby raglan patterns

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&fit=baby&view=captioned_thumbs&craft=crochet&sort=projects&pa=raglan-sleeve

By the way, the sweater construction link in post 7 shows a 'seamless yoke', which is also a raglan; it makes increases typically along the lines of the seams in the one marked raglan next to it (increases if it's made top down, decreases if made bottom up)