Question answered

Tampa Doll

I read a little while ago that you can make a chain with crochet and start your first row on knitting with it, then when you are done, you can take off the crochet chain.

I know I am saying that wrong. You make a chain with more stitches that you need, then you start knitting with that.  Once you are done, you can then remove the crochet chain and go on with your knitting.

It is suppose to give you a cleaner first row.

My question is, has anyone does this and where can I find out how???????

I tried knitting earlier this year.  One of the first things I looked up was how to cast on using crochet.  There are quite a few tutorials out there.  Here's knitpick's video and written instructions.

Thank you that is exactally what I was looking for.  I have been knitting for years, but since I started to crochet, I have not picked up the needles very often.

I knew if I asked, I would get an answer here.

Yeah, but...when you rip either of those crochet rows off, it leaves live stitches, so is good for grafting but is not a 'clean edge'.  It didn't sound like that was what you were looking for, unless I misunderstood you.  I've tried starting with a crochet row (both ways shown, picking up from a chain and crocheting around the needle).  , It DOES look nice, though, when you leave it in (looks like a chain, like the top of your knitting), but I didn't find it particularly stretchy.  It might work better if you worked it over a bigger needle, like we do for crochet when working into the back bump, but I haven't tried that trick yet...

Well, when you are working with 8 balls of yarn at one time, you look for anything easy.  I was thinking of taking each leg that you start out with and pulling it thru the open stitches to make a point.  Let's see how it works.  I had to put it aside anyway, as it was not looking right and I need to go do something else, then go back.

Archived