Two size 30 thread?

kathome

I've done an internet search and can't seem to find an answer.  Would anyone know if two size 30 threads would equal a size 10 thread?

Thanks in advance. 

The size refers to the length it takes to weigh a kilogram. So, a size 30 takes 30 kilometers to weigh a kilogram and a size 10 only takes 10 kilometers.

That's why you're not finding thickness comparisons. However, it would make sense to assume that a size 10 is 3 times thicker, since it's 3 times heavier.

Disclaimer: It's been decades since I was in school learning this kind of thing.

What are you making? Does it have to an exact size? If not i would say go for it...it can't be *too* far off.

But, to get technical about it, I usually try to think of yarn sizes in terms of Wraps Per Inch. I recorded some WPIs i found in magazines and online. Sz 10 is about 30 wpi and sz 30 is about 50 wpi. So 2 strands of sz 30 should be about 25 wpi, so that is a bigger thread than sz 10. You could try doing your own wpi check; its a pain to do with fine thread, at least i found it to be so.

Thanks so much for your input.  I wanted to make a "painted" fractal doily and use the size threads that I already have.  I've decided to use sewing thread, holding 3 strands together.  

Archived