Graphgan troubles :(

frodo60

Question

Hi everyone, i really need some advice, i have been practicing graphgans for a while now and i just cant seem to follow my pattern correctly, something somewhere just doesent add up and my picture looks backwards or something :(, when i am trying to do a graph pattern in the c2c stitch i am fine until i get to the maintenance rows and them i mess my colors up, i have no idea what i am doing wrong, does this happen to anyone else? 

any advice will be greatly appreciated

13 answers to this question

Either I haven't been paying attention, but those c2c graphgans are suddenly really popular!

I must admit I haven't made a c2c one, and am not sure how much of the below applies, but what I do on a regular non-diagonal graph is:

Cover up the rows AHEAD of the current row being worked with a ruler.  This way, what you can see on the graph is what you can see on your work (harder to lose your spot that way, and less distracting for me at least).  I use a sort of improvised clipboard to keep the ruler in place (piece of cardboard and a binder clip).

Since each even row is worked in one direction, and each odd one the other, when I've finished I put a pencil tic mark at the spot I ended at.  This way it's easy to spot where I left off, and which direction I need to work in for the next row.

I know this is old school, with pencils and rulers; not sure what to advise if you're working a graph from a screen.

Hi Granny Square, :) thanks for the tips im sure that will make the experience much easier haha :),

Hi Tribble79, yes i thought the same thing when i first saw them haha, on my first few attempts i was pretty terrible at it but then i found graphs that i loved so i forced myself to learn haha and it is a fantastic stitch once you get the hang of it, im sure you will love it when your ready to try :)

ALSO, sorry if i got anyones username wrong im a newbie to this site :)

Welcome to the site! It's a great forum. I have two blankets I want to finish before Christmas and maybe after those I will try to tackle this c2c. I still need to make a blanket for my mother or maybe even a pillowcase for her. That would be a quicker try to the c2c.  I hope you get your blanket figured out and I want to see pictures once it's finished.

Thanks Tribble :), yes a pillowcase would be a great c2c project they turn out really nice, what sort of blankets are you doing at the moment ?, ive done a few small granny square ones and a mario one but theres still so many more i want to make haha :), my crochet addiction is strong  :lol

and dont worry when i finally figure it out i will upload a pic :) 

I am making a steelers graphghan for my husband and a Sonic the hedgehog graphghan for my son. Both are sc but are taking forever! LOL. Currently they have taken up all my crochet time. I get about 12-18 rows done a week. Gonna take forever! LOL...

Can't wait to see yours.

oh wow, they are going to look amazing!, haha yes they do feel like they take forever but the end result is totally worth it, cant wait to see pics :),  i have troubles with my patterns with SC graphs too haha, i finally finished a c2c graph, i just thought i would start with a new smaller pattern and it worked! so im pretty happy with it haha, i just need to learn some techniques to hide my yarn and not carry my yarn through lol, i have uploaded a pic of my square aswell :)

post-78000-0-19769500-1468390884_thumb.jpg

oh wow, they are going to look amazing!, haha yes they do feel like they take forever but the end result is totally worth it, cant wait to see pics :),  i have troubles with my patterns with SC graphs too haha, i finally finished a c2c graph, i just thought i would start with a new smaller pattern and it worked! so im pretty happy with it haha, i just need to learn some techniques to hide my yarn and not carry my yarn through lol, i have uploaded a pic of my square aswell :)

Such a cute happy face!! I love it. I think it turned out great. Yes the bobbins are a pain in the rear, but I like that better than having triple the amount of ends to weave in at the end.

Such a cute happy face!! I love it. I think it turned out great. Yes the bobbins are a pain in the rear, but I like that better than having triple the amount of ends to weave in at the end.

Thanks :), i got the pattern from repeat crafter me there is so many awsome little patterns on there haha :) 

Archived