work (7, 8, 9, 10 hdc) or work (5, 6, 7, 8 hdc) or work (23, 26, 29, 32 sts)

Ariane Aimee

Question

5 answers to this question

The numbers in parentheses are for different sizes. The "or" part is not self explanatory. What is the name and location of the pattern?

Its from a purchased pattern called Falyn Fawn Set, its a hooded cowl, this is Row 4 of the hood and it goes as follows.

Row 4: chain 2, turn, work (7, 8, 9, 10 hdc), hdc 2 in the next stitch, work (5, 6, 7, 8 hdc), hdc 2 in the next stitch, work (7, 8, 9, 10 hdc). (23, 26, 29, 32 sts)

Row 5: chain 2, turn, work a hdc in each stitch all across.

Row 6: chain 2, turn, work (7, 8, 9, 10 hdc), hdc 2 in the next stitch {twice}, work (5, 6, 7, 8 hdc), hdc 2 in the next stitch {twice}, work (7, 8, 9, 10 hdc). (27, 30, 33, 36 sts)

I am unsure what the content means in the parenthesis, I am pretty new to crochet and I cant find any explanation in the pattern itself or on google

Ok, I see now... the "or" is not part of the pattern, but part of your question.  

The different numbers in the parentheses are for the different sizes.  

the {twice} means to do that part 2 times.  punctuating it that way is not standard pattern-writing practice.  

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html  is a quick intro to how to read patterns----when they are written to the standards.  it won't help a lot if the pattern-writer decides to do it their own way.  

For a good overall reference you might want to get a book like Crochet Answer book by E Eckman, or Complete Photo Guide to Crochet by M Hubert.  

At the beginning of the pattern (usually at the top), there should be several different sizes listed, such as "small, med, large, x large (or (S,M.L.XL).  If you are making a small cowl, you would use the first no. of stitches listed in the parentheses; if making a med sized cowl, you'd use the second number, and so on.  The information in the last parentheses at the end of each row is the total number of stitch in that row.

If this is still unclear, please let us know--we all explain a little differently!

Archived