Need help reading a pattern.

Ariane Aimee

Question

Hi everyone I am new here, my name is Ariane, I am fairly new to crochet and I am stuck on an instruction in this pattern I bought, i have tried googling it but I dont get this specific section of it answered. It says "Row 6: chain 2, turn, work a hdc in each stitch all across, work 1 hdc in the top of the chain 2" I understand the first part but where it says "work 1 hdc in the top of chain 2" I am not sure what that means.

Any assistance will be appreciated thank you :)

5 answers to this question

What you do is when you finish the row, you ch2.  Turn your work and in each stitch on the last row, except for the first one, You will do a hdc.

You will end up with the same number of stitches as before, and they will all be half double crochet.

It means to do a hdc in the top of the ch 2 you started the row before with, it will be  at the end of the row you are working on.

What everybody said above, but a little background - in crochet, you  chain(x) and turn at the end of the row; the chain brings your yarn 'up' to the height of the next row.  For SC, the chain-1 does not count as a stitch.  For every other taller stitch, it usually always counts as a stitch.  If it doesn't, the pattern should tell you because it's unusual for it not to.  Each higher stitch gets 1 more chain, example HDC=2 chains, DC=3 chains, etc.

A common beginner mistake is to miss the turning chain, and then find that their piece is losing stitches every row.  It might help to see the top of the turning chain by putting a stitch marker in it (bobbie pin, safety pin, bent paper clip or purchased marker) into that top turning chain until you get the hang of where it is.

Archived