yarnjeannie

How To Get Started Crocheting Again?

I've been so down in the dumps lately that I can't get started on any new projects.  I do have a baby blanket I want to make and give to my grandson - maybe for his second birthday.  But I can't seem to be able to pick up my hook and get started on it.  I crocheted some  NICU items earlier this year and really should box them up and send them out.

Have any of you been in this situation?  Any ideas on how to motivate myself?  Thanks.

I think everyone hits that at some point. Sometimes working on something small like dishcloths might be the way to start. Sometimes crocheting just gets put aside for a while for other things that hold my attention right them.

I too am having the same type of problem with motivation. My DH made the comment a few days ago after one of my frogging rants that it could be the family and health turmoil in my life right now that is causing so many distractions from being able to concentrate and enjoy all I usually love to do. I'm hoping I can find 2 different baby blanket patterns so I can get them completed before September.

Maybe you too have a few things going on that are distracting you from all your crafty brain cells. Literally though, everyone is different and it could be just plain burnout. How about something summery, small and quick like glass or can cozies or coasters in bright cheery colors?

What ever it may be, I am sending you good thoughts and prayers to quickly overcome whatever is blocking your creative juices.

ETA 07/03: I started a set of coasters and have made 2 so far then I whipped out 6 rows to one of the baby blankets I finally chose. :D 

Edited by ReniC

I have this trouble once in a while.  A small project, cute pot holder or dish cloth or just a square, can sometimes do the trick. 

We all go thru this and with the help of friends, we get moving again.  Take a trip thru the show and tells, that helps sometimes.  I look at what others have made and BINGO I pick up my hook.

I'm in a slump right now, too.  I started a summer top right before I went into the hospital.  I've only got a little bit to do and some neck and armhole edging.  I really want to wear it, because it's hot out, but I can't seem to find the motivation to finish it.  Maybe switching to a small, easy project will give me some motivation.

I hope you find your motivation, soon!

Summer is always a difficult season for me to find my crochet mojo.  The yard work, gardens, get-togethers and just plain "porch sitting" steers my brain in a different direction.  By the end of the day, which is when I usually enjoy crocheting, my hands are simply too tired to pick up a hook.   Also, I find that having a pile of yarn in my lap on hot summer days is not at all soothing...lol.  I usually sew or read or make greeting cards over the warm months.  

Barbara

• Like 1

I recently found I've been slacking off also on my crochet. I have lots of projects in the works, so it's not a matter of needing something to do. I usually make bath cloths when a mood like this hits me, but this time, I'm trying something different.

A few months ago I found a couple cute, almost rainbow striped dish towels, at the dollar store. These are the smooth cotton type. I put them aside, thinking I would like to do an edging at the short ends on them. Well, I came across them a couple weeks ago, and decided there's no time like the present to start the edging.

I'm using an F hook and worsted weight cotton. Little did I know, it was going to be quite a process to get the holes in the towel. I've had to use a very sharp, pointy awl type tool (it's made for clay work). Then in that hole, I put a larger tapestry needle. Once the hole is enlarged enough, I get the hook in and do a sc. A couple times it gave me a very hard time, but I took my time to get nice even holes and sts across.

After that, it was fast and easy. I did another row of sc, then a row of shell. It looks so nice! Now I feel like doing more, so I'll get on with doing the other end.

I recently found I've been slacking off also on my crochet. I have lots of projects in the works, so it's not a matter of needing something to do. I usually make bath cloths when a mood like this hits me, but this time, I'm trying something different.

A few months ago I found a couple cute, almost rainbow striped dish towels, at the dollar store. These are the smooth cotton type. I put them aside, thinking I would like to do an edging at the short ends on them. Well, I came across them a couple weeks ago, and decided there's no time like the present to start the edging.

I'm using an F hook and worsted weight cotton. Little did I know, it was going to be quite a process to get the holes in the towel. I've had to use a very sharp, pointy awl type tool (it's made for clay work). Then in that hole, I put a larger tapestry needle. Once the hole is enlarged enough, I get the hook in and do a sc. A couple times it gave me a very hard time, but I took my time to get nice even holes and sts across.

After that, it was fast and easy. I did another row of sc, then a row of shell. It looks so nice! Now I feel like doing more, so I'll get on with doing the other end.

That sounds great Real Deal! Be sure and post a pic so we can all admire.

What do ya' say Yarnjeannie? Anything sparking an interest yet? 

BTW- That little baby in your photo is adorable!

I have had a lot going on in my life lately.  I had an issue hanging over my head involving unemployment compensation.  Thankfully, at a hearing the matter was decided in my favor and I didn't have to pay anything back.  I've been eating antacids like candy for months now because of that.  

I picked up my baby blanket project today and gave it a try.  I finished 9 short rows.  This is the afghan I want to finish.

https://www.herrschners.com/product/herrschners%26%23174-++bubbles+baby+afghan+crochet+afghan+kit.do?sortby=newArrivalsDescend&page=2&from=fn  

The baby in my photo is my second grandson.  I happened to snap his photo as he was sticking his tongue out at his mom.  It was taken last fall.  He will be two in October.  He and his brother (who is 7) are the sunshine in my life.

Reni, I almost always use a pattern I found years ago for a towel topper that doesn't require sewing.  I think it's called No Sew Towel Topper, on CrochetPatternCentral.com.  It's perfect!  And you can change the towels!

I too get into "No Crochet" Funks!  I just came off one, and finished 4 lap afghans last week!

yarnjeannie, on 03 Jul 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:yarnjeannie, on 03 Jul 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:yarnjeannie, on 03 Jul 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:yarnjeannie, on 03 Jul 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:

I have had a lot going on in my life lately.  I had an issue hanging over my head involving unemployment compensation.  Thankfully, at a hearing the matter was decided in my favor and I didn't have to pay anything back.  I've been eating antacids like candy for months now because of that.  

I picked up my baby blanket project today and gave it a try.  I finished 9 short rows.  This is the afghan I want to finish.

https://www.herrschners.com/product/herrschners%26%23174-++bubbles+baby+afghan+crochet+afghan+kit.do?sortby=newArrivalsDescend&page=2&from=fn

The baby in my photo is my second grandson.  I happened to snap his photo as he was sticking his tongue out at his mom.  It was taken last fall.  He will be two in October.  He and his brother (who is 7) are the sunshine in my life.

Yarnjeannie: I'm sure glad things are finally falling into a good place for you. Perfect timing on such a cute pic. I am like you and many others that adore the Grands. Most of mine are young adults now. In fact ,1 just got married a few weeks ago. Out of 9, only 1 lives close by and he's always on the go with work and college. :( 

Avon Lady, on 04 Jul 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:Avon Lady, on 04 Jul 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:Avon Lady, on 04 Jul 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Reni, I almost always use a pattern I found years ago for a towel topper that doesn't require sewing.  I think it's called No Sew Towel Topper, on CrochetPatternCentral.com.  It's perfect!  And you can change the towels!

I too get into "No Crochet" Funks!  I just came off one, and finished 4 lap afghans last week!

Avon Lady: Wow- 4 Lap-ghans- I'm impressed!!! I'm struggling to get those 2 baby blankets made by the end of this month. Gaaaaah! 3 rows is all I'm good for at a time. Plus a stash buster C-2-C blanket. I'm getting a neck spasm when finished for the evening. Don't know where that's coming from. Never had that problem before. I did get the coaster set completed and the Freedom Flower. Maybe it was the thread crochet that set my neck off. And, thanks for the idea on the dish towels. I'm going to check it out right now. :D 

Edited by ReniC