Best Newborn Hat Size

I am putting together a box of baby hats for charity and wonder, what is the best generic size for newborns? I've seen so many different suggested sizes that my eyeballs are crossed. LOL

Pray tell, what is your most popular newborn size?

Someone somewhere (Bev's country cottage maybe?) said in making hats for charity, size isn't too important as "it will fit somebody".  

I'm an only child with no kids and few to crochet for so have no clue, sorry.  Good luck!

Someone somewhere (Bev's country cottage maybe?) said in making hats for charity, size isn't too important as "it will fit somebody".  

I'm an only child with no kids and few to crochet for so have no clue, sorry.  Good luck!

Thank you Granny Square.

I'm really surprised there were so many views on this thread and you are the only one to reply. Guess I'll just go with 14" around and play it safe. They need to be all the same size for this donation. I didn't understand why but I'm more than willing to comply. I love making baby things.

Thank you Redrosedz and Sarisue. It's kind of you to respond. I have all the charts from the web. I just thought I'd reach out for some personal preferences since I have to make the hats all the same size.

My friend printed out a pattern for knit and crochet preemie hats from www.redheart.com. There's directions for 2 sizes, and if you try different weights of :yarn and hooks you can get preemie to toddler size hats. They use about 1 oz. of :yarn  and work up fast, it's a good way to use up left over :yarn . 

Ellie 13

• 1 month later...
PattiJacks, on 08 Aug 2016 - 4:51 PM, said:

This is the pattern I use most of the time.  I've made several hats and this seems to be the best fitting pattern I've found. 

http://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2014/09/basic-beanie-worsted-weight5-50-mm.html#_a5y_p=2573496

Thank you PattiJacks. I appreciate the suggestion. I've used Oombawka's little hat pattern and they're included in the box of 50 I finished and gave to my daughter the RN. She is delivering them for me one day this week. I finished 2 more hats last night, one for a new great nephew and one for a new G-GS, both due in a few weeks. I'm done with baby hats and booties for awhile- I hope! Time to get some blankets finished.

Archived