Double crochet is leaning to the left

Munuse13

Question

Hello,

I'm new to crocheting and was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm learning the traditional granny square and have picked it up quite quickly. However when I look at the final result the sides are not straight and it looks as if my double crochet in the rows of my granny square are leaning slightly to the left. Is there a reason for this.

I have attached a picture of one I made earlier....it's the first time I did it with different colours

Thank you.

post-77857-0-00158300-1466088470_thumb.jpeg

24 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm new to crocheting and was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm learning the traditional granny square and have picked it up quite quickly. However when I look at the final result the sides are not straight and it looks as if my double crochet in the rows of my granny square are leaning slightly to the left. Is there a reason for this.

I have attached a picture of one I made earlier....it's the first time I did it with different colours

Thank you.

Looks to me like you have put a CH between the groups on the sides of your square.

You don't need any CH between the groups on the sides because they stretch out when you work the next row.

I work CH2 in the corners and none on the sides.

Adding a picture of one I also prepared earlier.

As to the lean on you DCs, I think it happens to some and not to others as you can see, my DCs are reasonably straight.

Have fun.

Colleen

post-77663-0-47468800-1466769902_thumb.jpeg

I really love those colors together!  I may borrow your color combination if you don't mind :artist

I know it must seem as if you are being bombarded with tiny details, but....it looks like you now have 1 chain between dc groups, which is great.  in order to keep the squares from being too rounded, there should be more chains at the corners.  so there you probably do need to have 2 chains.  that should make the corners have a crisp angle to them so when you join them together, they fit neatly.  

all of the work you are doing now to perfect your grannies is going to pay off in loads of gorgeous squares that you can combine to make so many stunning projects :hook

I can definitely see the difference thank you

post-77857-0-45498000-1467482795_thumb.jpeg

I really love those colors together!  I may borrow your color combination if you don't mind :artist

I know it must seem as if you are being bombarded with tiny details, but....it looks like you now have 1 chain between dc groups, which is great.  in order to keep the squares from being too rounded, there should be more chains at the corners.  so there you probably do need to have 2 chains.  that should make the corners have a crisp angle to them so when you join them together, they fit neatly.  

all of the work you are doing now to perfect your grannies is going to pay off in loads of gorgeous squares that you can combine to make so many stunning projects :hook

Of course you can, Okayy thank you again I'll do the rest of the squares with 2 chains on the corners. I'll use these squares that Iv done at the bottom

You're welcome. You are doing great :hook

Thank you very much I decreased the chains in between each DC, and Iv made my first squares for my blanket, and I'm so happy with them thank you again for all your help and to everyone else who replied to this post.

post-77857-0-77938500-1467473870_thumb.jpeg

the only thing I think you may want to change is the number of chains between the dc groups.  in your photo, the chains stick out a little bit  on the last round. this may cause a little bit of rippling when you join 2 squares together.  you could go ahead and join a few squares to see if it is a problem.  other than this possible problem I think you are looking good!

Thank you for your advice I'll give that a go

the only thing I think you may want to change is the number of chains between the dc groups.  in your photo, the chains stick out a little bit  on the last round. this may cause a little bit of rippling when you join 2 squares together.  you could go ahead and join a few squares to see if it is a problem.  other than this possible problem I think you are looking good!  

Munuse, that looks very straight! :cheer

how many rounds will the squares in the blanket have?

Thank you so much I'm glad Iv finally managed to do t straight

I'm going to make different coloured grannys with 4 rounds and join them together making a blanket

hi Munuse, welcome to the ville!   i agree with what's been said, that turning between rounds will help a lot, and that it looks like 2 chains between each group of dc is too much.

here is an older thread that really illustrates how much turning can help http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154943-wonky-blanket/?hl=skew#entry2676193   ville member Luvly posted her skewed square in the first post and toward the end of the thread she posted photo of the beautiful straight square she got once she started turning.  ther is also a post by Granny Square with a photo of stitches illustrating how they lean.  

I think it will help too if you do fewer chs between the 3dc.  Personaly I usually don't do any there, and do 2 on the corners.  But it does depend on the yarn and your individual gauge.  so if you usually do 2 ch, try 1 ch first and see if it looks better.  if not , then you can try doing none.  As it is, to me it looks like you have too many stitches crammed into the space, which will exaggerate the skew.  I think if you remove chains it will lie better.  

also, you should block your square to see how it will look after laundering.  blocking is basically just washing and drying it according to the instructions on the yarn label.

I'm backkk Iv been continuously practising my granny squares and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Do you think I should practise more or can I start making my blanket?

post-77857-0-51893000-1467406971_thumb.jpeg

Looks to me like you have put a CH between the groups on the sides of your square.

You don't need any CH between the groups on the sides because they stretch out when you work the next row.

I work CH2 in the corners and none on the sides.

Adding a picture of one I also prepared earlier.

As to the lean on you DCs, I think it happens to some and not to others as you can see, my DCs are reasonably straight.

Have fun.

Colleen

Oops! Not sure where my picture went to.

Found out how to edit so please ignore this one.

hi Munuse, welcome to the ville!   i agree with what's been said, that turning between rounds will help a lot, and that it looks like 2 chains between each group of dc is too much.

here is an older thread that really illustrates how much turning can help http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154943-wonky-blanket/?hl=skew#entry2676193   ville member Luvly posted her skewed square in the first post and toward the end of the thread she posted photo of the beautiful straight square she got once she started turning.  ther is also a post by Granny Square with a photo of stitches illustrating how they lean.  

I think it will help too if you do fewer chs between the 3dc.  Personaly I usually don't do any there, and do 2 on the corners.  But it does depend on the yarn and your individual gauge.  so if you usually do 2 ch, try 1 ch first and see if it looks better.  if not , then you can try doing none.  As it is, to me it looks like you have too many stitches crammed into the space, which will exaggerate the skew.  I think if you remove chains it will lie better.  

also, you should block your square to see how it will look after laundering.  blocking is basically just washing and drying it according to the instructions on the yarn label.

Thank you every much for your help and advice and thank you to everyone else that replied to this post I really appreciate the help. I'm going to try it out straight away in the morning.

Thank you again

I agree with Deb & Granny Square. Sometimes a picture helps. Crochet stitches slant. It's more noticeable with taller stitches.

When you crochet all on the same side, it looks like...

////////

////////

////////

When you turn, it cancels out the slanting & looks like...

////////

\\\\\\\\

////////

\\\\\\\\

When you are working in the round (like a Granny Square, or a doily), the height of your stitches makes a difference.  

With a Granny Square, there is no absolutely right number of chains between DC groups, or in the corners--the 'right' number will depend on the height of your stitches.  I do zero chains between groups , and 3 in the corners--this works for me, I make shortish stitches.  1 chain between groups is common, 2 chains between groups seems really excessive unless you make extraordinarily tall stitches. 

Turning every round as Kittyloverdeb suggested is good advice (and patterns don't tell you to do that, usually).  In addition to taming the skew (leaning) of the stitches, it makes the piece reversible.

Thank you very much for your reply I will give it a go

When you are working in the round (like a Granny Square, or a doily), the height of your stitches makes a difference.  

With a Granny Square, there is no absolutely right number of chains between DC groups, or in the corners--the 'right' number will depend on the height of your stitches.  I do zero chains between groups , and 3 in the corners--this works for me, I make shortish stitches.  1 chain between groups is common, 2 chains between groups seems really excessive unless you make extraordinarily tall stitches. 

Turning every round as Kittyloverdeb suggested is good advice (and patterns don't tell you to do that, usually).  In addition to taming the skew (leaning) of the stitches, it makes the piece reversible.

Love the colors of yarn you are using!  It looks to me like there are too many stitches in your square.  I would try it without doing the chain 1 between your 3 double crochet groups and I would also turn the square after each round is completed.  That should alleviate the leaning appearance. 

Thank you so much for your reply, in regards to not doing the chain 1 between the groups, I was taught to chain 2 before moving on to the next group of 3 double crochet and chain 3 for the corner

Love the colors of yarn you are using!  It looks to me like there are too many stitches in your square.  I would try it without doing the chain 1 between your 3 double crochet groups and I would also turn the square after each round is completed.  That should alleviate the leaning appearance. 

Archived