painful knuckles on yarn holding hand

I know a lot of people have pain in their hand that holds their hook, but I seem to be getting excruciating pain in my hand that holds my work in progress. Mainly in the knuckle of my thumb and middle finger, to the point where I can't put any pressure on either and can't bend the knuckle. I don't hold my WIP very tightly so I don't know what could be causing the pain. I've tried to google some ways to help it, or limit it from happening and I can't seem to find anyone who has had/have the same issue.

Any ideas?

You can try the special gloves that are sold in pharmacies in the US. They are used for carpault tunnel syndrome but can help being worn when doing activities where you are using a concentration with hand/finger muscles. My hands/fingers bother me when I am sanding walls or furniture for a long period of time. What Magiccrochetfan is saying is the best- only crochet for small stretches and take a long break between. In time your hand muscles may strengthen and allow you longer stretches of crocheting.

I have a list of issues with my hands and wrists - stop crocheting for a couple of weeks at least (I've had to stop for months at times).  You are injuring yourself and need to heal.  Don't crochet for hours at a time.  Taking mini breaks won't help if you proceed to aggravate the injury after the break.

I really recommend against buying a brace unless advised by a doctor.  One of my hand issues (tendonitis) was caused by something similar to a brace, prescribed for something completely different.  It hindered the mouse motions I used at work (excel spreadsheets & correspondence all day long), and I ended up in a cast for 6 weeks.  And I was afraid to start crocheting again for months.  I only crochet for a couple of hours a day, max.

* Stop.  Now.  Rest it.  If it hurts when you resume crocheting, repeat.

There are different ways to hold a hook. Once you've rested your hands to where they don't hurt, try a different hold, and if that one doesn't work for you, try another. The kind of hook you use, the kind of grip on it (some people really like the soft pencil grips on their hooks) the kind of thread or yarn--that all affects your hands. I can't use thread at all because my hands won't grip anything that small (and the small hooks are really hard for me.) Others can't use the big bulky yarn that's in fashion right now. For once, it really IS all about you, and what you like and how you cando this fun thing we call crochet.

Archived