Back loop only issue

Heather927

Question

So I've got a pattern for a hat which includes a whole lot of rows of single crochet in the back loop only. The problem is that, after doing the right number of rows, it's far, far too small still and I'm not sure if I'm doing the wrong stitch or something. I checked a Youtube tutorial and it should be the right one but given the (fairly vast) length difference I'm not so sure. I'm using the right weight yarn and size hook.

I know a small size difference could be due to a gauge differences, especially as there wasn't one specified, but it's less than half of the right size so I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or not.

11 answers to this question

Different people have different tension. It's a shame that the pattern didn't include a gauge. It sounds like your tension is tighter than the author. Try going up 1 or 2 hook sizes.

The Yarn Council has charts of sizes, including hats. I'd include the link, but I'm on my phone.

What is the name and location of the pattern?  Is the problem that it is not tall enough, or that it is not big enough around?  

It would help a lot if you could post a clear, well-lit photo of what you have made so far.  We may be able to see something in the photo that you can adjust to help it come out right.  

I'm curious about the pattern too...SC in the back loop = ribbing, which is stretchy heightwise (from the perspective of how it's made), but less so widthwise.  You mentioned rows, not rounds...if the ridges go from forehead to crown it might stretch enough to go around the head.

The first hat I ever made (might have been my first project, this was a loooong time ago) was a rectangle of ribbing, sewn up the side and gathered at the top with a pom pom to hide the gather.   This is what I'm imagining....

Another thing that might be a factor...I've found that different yarns of the same weights don't end up being the same stretchiness for hats designed with negative ease.

UK patterns don't use the term SC at all.  So if the pattern says SC, it must be US terms.

US SC = UK DC, all other US stitches are 'promoted' in the same way in UK terms, except slip stitch and chain are the same term for both.  

Thanks for all the replies guys.

This is a link to the pattern: http://aghandmades.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/moray-slouchy-hat-and-cowl.html. It's free and online so I'm assuming it's okay that I post it here. I'm just making the hat, not the cowl, so ignore that bit. It's possible I used the wrong terminology in my original post, as I'm not entirely sure what the difference between rounds and rows are and I really don't think I was very clear on where the ribbing goes on the hat. I've included a close-up picture of the stitch in case I have done something wrong, and another one to show how long it is in a circle (as it's supposed to be a hat. I can send another of its full length flat if that would be more helpful). I know it stretches, but even when stretched fully it's still about one hand too small for my head, and that's after I did several extra rows. Without being stretched at all it's about halfway round.

post-77139-0-42350900-1465744265_thumb.jpg

post-77139-0-34343000-1465744272_thumb.jpg

You described it just fine in your first post, and what you are showing looks right to me stitch-wise, and what I was suspecting (ribbing in the brim to crown direction).  I thought it might be also possible for the pattern to uses this stitch around the head, too, but you'd have to turn each round and it wouldn't stretch around the head.

It does include a gauge, but it's for the rest of the hat not the ribbing part.  Did you do a swatch of the hat stitch pattern?  That might give you an idea if your gauge and the designers are way different.

I wonder if the pattern writer meant 55...creases? ridges? which would be 110 rows, over a 22" head (unstretched) is 5 stitches per inch, which sounds perfectly reasonable with an I hook and aran weight yarn. (or 4.x stitches per inch and expecting some stretch)

If you wanted to see the measurement of your head, you could use a string or ribbon and then measure that w/ a ruler.  But the pattern does say the hat  fits 22-24 inches which is pretty generously sized for most people.

After reading Granny Square's possibility that the ribbing should be 55 ridges, I went to the pattern photo to count the visible ridges.  We can only see at most half of them since it's on a head form, not laid out flat before joining.  There are 13 visible by my count.  13 ridges = 26 rows, a little less than half of 55 as stated in the pattern.

What yarn and hook are you using?   

...and I should have looked at row 3 of the pattern, where you start to work along the side of the ribbing...for 55 stitches.  So much for my theory, sorry.

....so, I just made a narrow swatch of ribbing, 27.5 ridges long = 55 stitches.  It measures 14.75 inches unstretched,...however I was able to pulling it to about 25"!  Assuming the fabric of the rest of the hat is also somewhat stretchy, it should fit. (it looks lacy, so probably is to some extent)

I used an I hook and Michael's Value Brand, which is similar to Red Heart Super Saver.  I consider my tension slightly tighter than "normal"; most patterns I can hit the designer's gauge, sometimes I have to go up a hook size.

A tape measure is a good investment, I use mine all the time; I think I've seen them at the Dollar Store.  Or Google 'printable ruler', assuming they print to scale you might be able to print a few and tape them end to end.  Here's a link for a few.

Archived