Vintage pattern help

Groomer2288

Question

13 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

Often it helps a lot to write it out in complete words, so you don't have to mentally translate each abbreviation.  Also I sometimes put each little segment on its own line, to break it into pieces I can remember easily and find my place quickly when i refer to it again.

so you might try that.

If there are certain sections of the row that you don't understand, please tell us, so we can offer more specific suggestions.  

I just am not sure why part of row 4 is in parentheses. Is it to be worked in one stitch but doesn't mention it in this row like the previous rows because it is figured that you should just be accustomed to the wording from the other rows

I just tried skipping and it happens to work for the first shell but not the rest bUT I just got it. They were just trying to separate the three different parts of the row. The beginning. The middle in parentheses and the end. Trying not to confuse the crocheter. If you look each is only off by one different stitch and if you do the part in parentheses as skip 2 trebble, one double crochet in next stitch, one trebble crochet in each of the next two stitches, the row works over the shell evenly across to the next shell. I think a knitter wrote this patten. It's how you would read a knitting pattern. Thank you both. I would be happy to share the pattern in an email with you and send better pics when done

Oooooo Kathy I think you are correct I was reading it as skip two do one double crochet do two trebble. But you were saying skip two trebblengines skip a double crochet and skip two more trebble. I got it. Thank you for being so patient with me you ladies are great I have got some serious baby brain and I am so anxious with two weeks left to my pregnancy I want to get this done so badly

I was reading it as skip two do one double crochet do two trebble. 

that's what I thought too the first few times i read it.  you aren't the only one who found it confusing!

I hope it works out !  Let us know if you have any other questions, and do post a photo of the finished gown if you want to.

:)

I'm not a senior crocheter! But I just typed it out to make it easier- since it is in UK do we need to REPLACE the tr.s with DC, and the DC to SC?? I DID NOT DO THIS*** SO PLEASE DO SO IF IT IS REQUIRED

Row 4: Skip 1st st, 1 s.s. (single stitch) into each next 3 stitches. Ch 6. *Skip 2 tr.s, 1 d.c. into next sp (chain space I assume?) that's between the tr.s, ch 3, skip next 2 tr.'s,1 tr into next tr., (skip 2 tr, 1 dc, 2 tr), 1 tr into next tr, ch 3, repeat from * ending with skip 2 tr, 1 dc into next space between tr., ch 3, skip 2 tr.s, 1 tr into next tr., skip last 3 sts, turn.
Parentheses are used to indicate a group of stitches that are to be worked together into a stitch, thus creating a shell or flower or what have you.  << as someone already said- I'm just posting that for reference

I only typed this out using clearer terms- hope it helps- you're going to need to replace each st such as "d.c." with "s.c." IF that is needing to be translated from UK crochet into American. Is this not correct? I thought UK patterns wrote them differently, as in up one stitch from ours.

Archived