Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

Hello,

Another typical Tuesday here. Work and then stopped at Joann's. I thought I would come home and cook but decided on soup and sandwich from Panera instead. We have a holiday lunch for the staff at work tomorrow, out PTA is wonderful about providing this lunch for us. And for the first time we are having an ugly sweater/shirt contest too. I don't have an ugly sweater/shirt so I picked up a t-shirt at Joann's and I'm going to see what I can do with it. I don't know how ugly it will be, I tend to lean more toward cute projects. Then I'll get back to work on the teddy bear outfits.

I hope you all have a great evening.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had an (easy) idea for an ugly t-shirt--If you have some yarn tangles that you haven't had time to straighten out--tack them here and there all over the shirt!  Think it would work?

oh avon cute idea i love that lol    so another nothing day  i find it difficult these days to get into much with both feet lol so i dip a toe here or there just to stay in practice i guess  twice in the past when i was recovering still i could not for the life of me remember how to make a granny square  and how many thousands of these have i made  it was probably either my medication or my mind set at the time but i didn't give up i just kept staring at them trying to figure it out   i remember the first couple i made were horrible!! I wondered if i had had   a mild stroke but soon enough with practice i got good at them again  scared me sort of you know i was that way too after my ginger passed  i guess just too stressed or depressed then too  so want to stay in good practice  so i made a few 6 inchers for pine ridge next  years box this am whilst listening to an audio book  lol got done had lunch now im here lol  straightened out or reorganized one shelf as i got ride of a couple boxes and so rearranged some other thing to fill it up  much neater now and not over run with boxes  i tend to save them and use then for mailing or storing lol but i have a coupe put back and is all i will use probably  and that is plenty for when i redo the double clock curio lol     

other than that nothing new here  sunny day forecasting snow later in the week  wish daylight savings time would be repealed as i abhor the long dark evenings  i dont know how Alaskans handle their horrible long days and horrible nights 

but soon the days will get a bit longer a bit every day i hope  It  cant come soon enough for me lol  ok well over and out for now see ya soon    :ghug

Well Katie just one more day and then the days start getting longer.  On top of the long nights we have not had much sunshine the past couple of months.  No sun again today.  Yesterday was warm.  Today is cooler and its going to keep dropping.  I see a 0° in the forecast for Christmas.  I have hit a few spells when I just couldnt bring myself to pick up a hook and crochet which is really bad because its one thing that usually calms my nerves and comforts me.  The last few years TC was often in my lap as I crocheted.  Now that we know Cleo is regularly getting fed we have cut her back to just an afternoon snack when she shows up and fusses at us.   We will put more food out for her this weekend since its going to be so cold and the neighbors will be gone.

Sandra MaryJo's angels are done in thread.  I think this is it.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/robbies-angel.

But I found this one done in yarn.   https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-square-angel-ornament

Here is the pattern for the Angels I sent.  It is free on Ravelry .  It is called Robbie's Angels.  It is really easy and it works up fast.

I don't know how many of you remember her, but Hookerangel sent me a couple of cute ornaments for my tree.  She is always asking how everyone is doing.  She has had trouble getting on and when she does, she gets totally lost.  I have kept in contact on FB.

Here is the card and the ornaments. 

raok 12-19-17 (4).JPG

Hello! Ya'll  :hook

Just wanted to thank Brenda/BGS (crocheted angel), and Teresa/Crochetfan (crocheted snowflake) for the wonderful Christmas cards and gifties enclosed.  I was so surprised.  Knowing you were thinking of me just made my heart swell . . . I love each of you crochet buddies!  :hug

I need to apologize for abruptly exiting the group several months ago.  I was having some emotional problems, depression, caused I guess by this stupid RA (rheum. arthritis and some long-lost dght issues.  Feeling tired all the time didn't help, either.  Anyway, I managed to get myself into such an emotional state that, I started cutting people off in my life (wrong idea), feeling dejected, rejected and forgotten about by my family (not hubby's, because thankfully, they love me  :manyheart).  I just felt it was better if I kept to myself.  I know . . . I was evidently having one heck of a pitty-party, while dropping into a deep hole.  I understand TOTALLY now, just what depression can do to a person, and so sudden like.  Poor hubby wasn't able to figure out how to help, if he could help at all.  But, God is good!  All we need to do is give it to JESUS, and He'll help to show us the way out of our dilemma (or stinkin' thought processes!), right?  :clap

I'm doing much better since the dr changed up my meds for the RA, which helps me to keep more mobile and pain-free in my joints (that means I'm back to "enjoying" my crocheting ~ yay!), and I'm also able to enjoy my time in the kitchen, too . . . baking and cookin' up a storm!  Yay! again!  I've actually gotten a lot done around the house, too ~ looking more like "Home" now.

Just to update ya'll, too ~ my son got his new orders for the next move from Newport News, Virginia.  He and his little wife were sent to Pensacola, Florida for about 3-4 months of schooling, and are now stationed in Honolulu, Hawaii ~ :sun  :dance  :plane       We missed zipping down to Florida to see them before they left, which broke my heart, too.  So it's kind of with mixed emotions because of the distance, but they are surely enjoying the warmer 60's temps.  We haven't been able to see them except once every year or two, but we always have a good time when we are able to get together.  Just makes us appreciate each other all the more.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday time shopping and making plans with family and friends.  This is always a wonderful time of year!  Also, hoping you all had a great time during Thanksgiving, too!  We ate waaay too much, of course, but it was all SO good!  Now we get to do it again for Christmas, right? :yay

Thank you so much, again, for thinking of me ~ :ghug

Grumdrops for gumdrop cake - Dec2017.JPG

oh lovin2rochet we understand fully as we have all been there too and sure are glad you are better and  are thrilled to see you back!! if you would like to get back in the birthday thing let me know and ill get your info and get you back on we missed you and are very happy to have you back!! :cheer:manyheart:hug

17 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

oh avon cute idea i love that lol    so another nothing day  i find it difficult these days to get into much with both feet lol so i dip a toe here or there just to stay in practice i guess  twice in the past when i was recovering still i could not for the life of me remember how to make a granny square  and how many thousands of these have i made  it was probably either my medication or my mind set at the time but i didn't give up i just kept staring at them trying to figure it out   i remember the first couple i made were horrible!! I wondered if i had had   a mild stroke but soon enough with practice i got good at them again  scared me sort of you know i was that way too after my ginger passed  i guess just too stressed or depressed then too  so want to stay in good practice  so i made a few 6 inchers for pine ridge next  years box this am whilst listening to an audio book  lol got done had lunch now im here lol  straightened out or reorganized one shelf as i got ride of a couple boxes and so rearranged some other thing to fill it up  much neater now and not over run with boxes  i tend to save them and use then for mailing or storing lol but i have a coupe put back and is all i will use probably  and that is plenty for when i redo the double clock curio lol     

other than that nothing new here  sunny day forecasting snow later in the week  wish daylight savings time would be repealed as i abhor the long dark evenings  i dont know how Alaskans handle their horrible long days and horrible nights 

but soon the days will get a bit longer a bit every day i hope  It  cant come soon enough for me lol  ok well over and out for now see ya soon    :ghug

I, too, have had days when I couldn't remember how to make a granny square!!!  It scared me!  I wasn't depressed or anything...I think I just had too many different projects going at once, and couldn't get my brain to focus!! :reyes

More cute pictures of Jade.  She sure has grown.:king

Lovin2Crochet I am so glad you came back to us.  You were missed and thought about a lot.  At times it feels like it would be so easy to let go and slip into that hole and disappear for awhile but I am afraid I would never make it back out so best for me to stay busy.  We are here for you if you need us and if you dont want to post in the thread pm me or any of us really.  This wonderful bunch of ladies have helped me through some rough times and I love them all.:ghug

Its another cloudy but almost balmy day.  We had one of those nights where it got warmer.  Is everyone ready for Christmas?  I am close.  I realized I did not get the potholders done that I intended do I have been working on them.  I just have to crochet the two pieces together on the last teo and the 12 will be done.  Thank goodness that pattern works up fast.  Its the one Sandra and I were discussing a few days ago.  Thank you Katy for introducing it to us.  Its one of my favorite patterns and everyone likes them.  They have taken the frigid temps out of our forecast----low of 22° Christmas day sounds great (as opposed to 0°):clap

Linda have you found any Christmas themed rocks and how is mil doing?  

Well I leave you today with a picture of probably my oldest possession---my Christmas stocking.  It has to be 55 years old.  I wrote my initials on the back in pencil with what  my guess is first grade printing.  A lady my mom worked with sent one for me and the two younger sisters I had at the time (another sis came along years later).  They are printed flannel stockings that she bought and then sewed together.  Our stockings were filled with a large orange, large apple, mixed unshelled nuts, orange slices, chocolate drops and some of those hard candies (like the multi colored ribbon candy).

20171221_095642.thumb.jpg.5bfc9f2f161c1b27745768decd1aaa39.jpg

Boy does that stocking bring back memories.  I have a Santa that my Mom made years ago.  I remember seeing that kind of stuff, at Joann's.  I was on a roll like regular material.  They then had cutouts, for stockings, trees and Santa's.

So cool.

Hello,

Yesterday was a grandbaby day after work so I never got to stop in and say hi. I also didn't get to bed until 11:00 pm and was up at 4:30 am to get ready for work, I am extremely tired right now. I also made a couple stops after work today to find the little table and chair set that my daughter was looking for to give the baby for Christmas, I found it at Toys R Us. I made brownies, they're cooling now, for a treat to share at work tomorrow.

Mary Jo, the ornaments are super cute.

lovin2crochet, it's great to see you back, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Immafreek, Jade is super cute.

Brenda, the stocking is cute.

I think I will be heading to bed very soon. I hope you all have a great night.

hello all first day of winter, and it is snowing!! and icing i guess and will continue throughout the night.. wow..a real first day of winter right here!!

that stocking is bringing back memories of ours too,, as kids, it was red  felt though i think with a wide white snow like cuff which had our names in cursive on the white part. .. I still have daughters first stocking too, and a few more we used here and there for different people in our lives. lol I have white furry ones we got one year, lol,, one of  the oldest things  i own that i can think of is stuff of my grandma's  like I have her ring, and some odds and ends, and i do stil l  have the very small ball that was left that we used when she taught me how to knit hotpads, lol    still have it, i treasure that little tiny ball!! it is oranges and browns i think it is was called ombre variegated. had yellow, and orange, and browns, in it.. 

today was blustery and chilly and the wind was whipping but now it is calm i think, and just snowflakes silently floating to the ground.. supposed to be ice under it so good thing we're not going out in the am,huh..hope daughter and hubby got home alright, i forget if they were leaving today, or tomorrow, she will call me though..

seems every time they fly somewhere, it is bad weather, and they get either delayed or layed over, lol hope that doesn't happen this time for them.. 

so im just not into the spirit this year. oh we will have a good dinner, but no one but us two here this year, and max and  i feel kinda sad about that, but we will be fine, no worries.. Grateful we have each other, huh..

I wonder how snow bears mom is by now, hopefully she is in rehab now, and getting some help there, how horrible to have fallen, poor thing..and bgs keep feeding cleo, lol she needs you. 

well what four more days huh, till the man in red does his thing, lol  we will probably find something, or some movie to watch, eat dinner, and watch another one, lol who knows.. 

im happy we have a  better selection with roku and netflix but im not really a tv person  per say, lol I have a few things i try not to miss, but other than that, naw, lol  took me all this time to master the three remotes i have now, on three diff tvs lol not counting the remote to the ceiling fan, and the dvd lol lol! i HAD TO PUT A PIECE OF WHITE TAPE and print on them with sharpie black marker, marking which one controls what lol honest cause i really don't use them that often to be able to distinguish them lol handy is better at it than me.

well darn it, all for now, past my lay in bed and watch some dumb show till i fall asleep time, lol see you tomorrow, and i feel the same bgs, these people here, our group especially are the best there is, and have gotten me through bad times too.. so crochet fan, you are in god company!! all for now, merry Christmas to all, and to all, a wonderful holiday, what ever it is you celebrate... hugs to all...:mdust..... 

Oooo, another hurray time for me!  I finally finished the Log Cabin crocheted afghan I'd been working on for 2 years!!  I even made a pillow from some larger "boo-boo" squares, too.   Here's a pic of it . . .

Thank you, again, everyone for your kind thoughts.  It's really uplifted me to read your posts, helping me to get my head screwed on right, again ~ LoL  I think I got myself too stressed out with all the house remodeling happening, and then the added other stuff on top of it.  A bit more than I could handle at the time.

I'm glad to see some new faces, or re-visiting faces here!  That's wonderful!  I need to go find my sheets with all you all's birthdays and square requests, too.  (Or is this all still posted on the first post here??)  I've got most of my crafting stuff put up in my new office/craft room now, too . . . having a great time delving into ALL of it ~ sewing, crocheting, cross stitching, and whatever else I can find to get my hands on ~ LoL  Also I'm getting into some quality time in my kitchen, too, with all the baking and cooking . . . and lovin' it!

KatyAllen ~ I am so glad you are doing much better and getting back into your crocheting, too.

Immafreek ~ your little Jade is adorable!  She sure is growing fast, too!

Brenda ~ I love your Christmas stocking!  It sure brings back memories of the fruits, candies and nuts we use to find in our stockings, too.  I always looked forward to our cookie baking time, too, decorating sugar cookies.

Looking forward to being a part of this wonderful group again, and thanks so much for the "welcome back" ~ :ghug

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to all of you, and a very Happy New Year!

LogCabin afghan finished - Dec2017.JPG

2 hours ago, cshort said:

Hello,

Yesterday was a grandbaby day after work so I never got to stop in and say hi. I also didn't get to bed until 11:00 pm and was up at 4:30 am to get ready for work, I am extremely tired right now. I also made a couple stops after work today to find the little table and chair set that my daughter was looking for to give the baby for Christmas, I found it at Toys R Us. I made brownies, they're cooling now, for a treat to share at work tomorrow.

Mary Jo, the ornaments are super cute.

lovin2crochet, it's great to see you back, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Immafreek, Jade is super cute.

Brenda, the stocking is cute.

I think I will be heading to bed very soon. I hope you all have a great night.

Thank you, CShort, for the welcome back, too.  Your brownies sure sound good!  Hope you enjoyed your "grandbaby day" after work ~ gotta take those times when you can, right?  Don't miss out on a single one, okay?

Lovin2crochet it is so good to see you back.  :ghug  This is one place you can always count on a shoulder or a hug.:hug

Immafreek when ever I need a pick me up or a smile, I look at the pictures of Jade.

I love the afghan lovin2crochet.  It is really pretty and I can see why it took 2 years.

As soon as she gets her picture taken, I finished a new doll this morning.  It will go into my charity box later.  Right now she is sitting on the couch.

Well, off to make breakfast and then off to my corner.

Have a great day everyone.

ohh nice log cabin wow that is just gorgeous!! is it going to some one or s ome place special or is it all yours crochetfan!!!

and  yep in january it will be a year since my four surgeries in 3 days lol so i have come a log way 

last  month at my check up i surprised my dr and his nurse with how far i hadcome    so   

there was a time a dark time i was convinced well never mind lol that time is over and forgotten   we will celebrate one year well in january  lol

but will be glad to see a new year as this past year for a lot of us here has been full of humps and hurdles you know but we have survived it and will usher in a better year for us all that is my hope anyway   I

immafreak darling photos i see you and hubby have your own little princess as well!! lol 

as personal  masseuse lol 

Carol you are a busy bee!! you do so much and work all day too!!  can you pour off a touch of that energy, bottle it and send it to me lol  

I Hope  that sandra and snowbear and Holly  are ok  and mini and ann and all the rest  all the rest we are missing this year wouldn't it be wonderful if we held a reunion party and all of our friends checked in and chatted with us a while!! thats what i can ask Santa for this year!!  We have lost track of so many i just wish they would come on back and play at our house for a while!! Christmas is the right time for miracles right??  

s

we got some snow really just a dusting thank goodness nothing for handy really to shovel we knew it was coming cause the little mama  rabbit under our wood pile moved her babies into the little shed to be warmer than in the yard out in the weather as handy  saw her  slight tracks in the bit of snow out back in front of the little shed  this am  i was worried about her and we know she has babies with her so she moved them all overnight in probably several trips lol but we feed her so she likes it here lol  she didnt go far just more protected   

well all  time to do something here today lol was up at 8 straight up and daylight is burning!! have a great day and try to count your blessings today as sometimes we get caught up in our short comings and the downfalls of our daily grinds,    which is  understandable for sure but take some time today to maybe count the good things in our lives ok cos i know we all have some!! sermon over lol  :yay:2snowman:ghug

wouldn't it be nice to be overwhelmed with good thugs instead of worries lol  at least 60-40- lol  am i right!!

Lovin2Crochet I love your afghan.  The birthdays and square requests are on page 1.  We had so many empty months I got out of the habit of checking. Now I see I am behind but will get back at it.

Katy I have some things older than my stocking but I think its the thing that was mine from the get go that I have had the longest.  Just checked page 1 and saw you put a plug in there for squares for PRR.  I thought that was a wonderful idea.

So I got the 6 pair of holiday colored hotpads and 1 pair key lime pie hot pads done.

20171221_161838.thumb.jpg.aa9542a71f700545a3ba2d904749bccb.jpg

20171222_095444.thumb.jpg.ef8d084875ef88b379852c589b60193d.jpg

Hair scrunchies thanks to Mary Jo sharing some of her stash with me.

20171221_163734.thumb.jpg.9f69e419ebc2d2f8faf58aa321ac9545.jpg

5 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

hummm a reunion thread for past and present members     ill iave my thinking cap on now lol  :clap

We sort of did that once for Mary Jo's totes.  Problem is so many dont log on to the 'ville period anymore.  But put your thinking cap on and try to figure out things we can do to engage and keep new members.  I hate that the wishlist section is messed up.  I would have liked at least to have had sign ups for a Christmas card exchange.  I didnt contact Terri to see if she could figure out how to work around the section not working right because I know she is having a hard year.

The Autumn Log Cabin afghan was mailed this morning to HAWAII ~ :sun  Son and dght-n-law will be getting it by next weekend I figure.  (Hubby had a good idea for the matching pillow . . . keep it for myself as a sample of the afghan I'd made for the kids and something to :hug when missing them.)  This stupid RA is what slowed me down on finishing it earlier, like 2 yrs ago for their September anniversary ~ LoL  I guess it's better late, than never, right?  ;) 

Now I'll be working on a Mended Hearts afghan for a newly re-married niece (bad, ended marriage ~ but new wonderful Knight in Shining Armor!), for their Happily Ever After Party in February this next year.  (Why do guys turn into such idiots after they've been married around 15 yrs, or during that time??  Mine did the same thing yrs ago ~ :( )  Thank the Lord for 2nd chances, heh? :clap:dance

Anyway . . . I miss the "Wish List", too.  That was so much fun filling the requests for each other!  And it was something we could do all during the year, when we were able, and such a surprise when their mail came ~ :yay

Carole :crocheting

Archived