Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

Sorry to hear that Kristy. Fires are so devastating and a lot of them happen this time of year for some weird reason. Glad everyone made it out okay!

Work wasn't too bad Katy. Worked this past night too ;) Now off for three nights back for two. I hope it warms up a bit in the next couple of days, I really have to get the yard mowed and the Dog Run cleaned. Been so horribly rainey October I didn't get out there once so now it's a muddy mess again. :( Every day  I didn't work rained like a monsoon.

Need to start Christmas shopping but I hate to even think about it before December. But I guess it must be done. I don't buy for too many people as I just haven't had the extra money the past few years. I prefer to make gifts but that too didn't happen this year cause we were low on funds and wasn't able to purchase yarn for new projects. Oh well, it'll all work out in the end.

Have a good day all! Off to finish up work here then home to take Little Tribble to school and a nap later.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Katiebug- it looks like your dd found a new playmate!     That's an awesome amount of squares, but Owlvamp, you sure have your work cut out for you.   I just finished my rendition of "Dobby the

Hi all. Just realized I only have 2 weeks to finish the baby blanket for my friends baby shower, but I'm almost done. We took the kids to Steak 'n Shake for lunch, then went to Walmart to get the kids

Hi all. Been missing around here for a few days, so I wanted to check in. Jade has less than a month until her birthday.   Oh and the picture of my "stash" all over my living room floor, and part o

Posted Images

Katy yes that pill bottle has kept up with my large needles for like 40 years.  I have had to be really diligent the past few years about putting the needles  back in the bottle any time I was not physically using them because TC was bad about checking out my projects and dragging off the smaller ones.  Once I found my cough drops that were on the table by my chair in the floor with little bite marks through the wrappers. 

I am not into violent (blood and guts or slicing and dicing) movies either.  I went with a group to the theater to watch Jurassic Park and sat there with my jacket over my head when the dinosaur was chomping away. Really the only part of the movie I remember is the scene with doghouse hanging out of the dinosaur's mouth.  Years ago I made the mistake of letting dh talk me into going to see Starship Troopers and there was way too much (30 to 40 minutes) slicing and dicing in it for me.  I can take a little but that was too much.  

Mary Jo I sure hate to hear your knee hurts again.   I have a lot of projects I should be working on but cant just get motivated.  I have a few squares almost done for Charis.  You guessed it they are laying there waiting for those ends to be worked in.  Thats when I realized how spoiled I was getting making the squares for the gal that does not want the ends worked in.

Kristy so sorry about the fire but very glad to hear everyone made it out okay.  

Tribble we are behind too.  Need to get a few more things done outside before winter.  At least Christmas shopping isnt as hard as it used to be since you can order so much online. 

On 11/12/2017 at 2:51 PM, bgs said:

Krys this is my jar for hooks and pill bottle for needles. 20171112_012216.thumb.jpg.3f2e6efcae802724b3ad8000fb69a5f6.jpg

Brenda that looks exactly like mine before I added that felt around:). Isn't that amazing that something so simple and FREE can be sooo handy??? !. I am very "proud" of my jar LOL :cheer

Is that one of your Bonsai tree in the back?. But all I can see it is a pot:(. Years ago I done some resurge on HOW to grow Bonsai trees. O boy, that requires  a lot of knowledge & work and it takes a long time.. I remember reading something about a copper wire that needs to be used to shape all those branches when that tree is very young/small. How long you been doing that?

Krys
PS: I took some pictures of another container I own. I will post them here.
MISTAKE! I just post that at a wrong "place":(
Here is that link to more pictures:

Only one picture here:

DSC01348.JPG

Edited by USpolishgirl

Good Evening!!

Today was actually pretty good for the part. I will take it and run.

I am working on a granny square blanket.

Its a kit I bought like 7-8 years ago. So I am trying to make that even though I just don't get a lot

of time to crochet anymore. Sometimes I wonder what I have done!!!

Gosh Thanksgiving is next week and not sure where we are having it this year. The way I have been feeling I told

the family I was cancelling it. Of course that was unheard of so no talk about it yet.

Hope everyone is doing good and staying warm. I am freezing!!

og Kristy   im so s  sorry to hear that  but glad all got out that is the main thing  ho i it happen do they know  

well watched that movie, not one of my favs but i guess it was interesting enough, i didn't expect that ending though  I guess the one i didn't much care for was  Fury, too much violence. 

i didn't get much time to get on earlier today, so hope everyone else is doing better today, and hope your knee is feeling better mj, and your sinuses are doing better brenda.Again so sorry kristy, hope all works out ok in the near future.. trib, you said kmart was going out of biz, we only have one left in all of omaha, the original one. I think the deal with sears killed it, don't you but glad you got a few good deals anyway.. 

pineknot i got real nice note from the va beach aspca, where i sent the birdnest a while back, thanking me for them, said they would work perfectly, and they sure will put them to good use!i might try to make a few more soon, and send them off before xmas..  

well ladies, all i can think of i wrote, lol will talk to you tomorrow, maybe a bit of a less busy day, and i will find time to either crochet, or color a bit, lol, take care all, till morning then, i bid you all good night..

just for the record, i like the keyboard on the desktop much better than the one on the lap top, lol and we all know how i feel  about the mini on screen keyboard on the tablet, right, lol  till later then,have a good night, and see you tomorrow   :hug

Edited by katyallen8090

Good Morning.  It is a crisp and cool morning.

Kristy so sorry to hear about the fire, but at least everyone got out.  That is most important.

Looks like I am going to have to go and get another shot.  The first one wore off two days later.  So that will happen after Thanksgiving, cause he is only in the office near me on Thursdays.

Going to work on my give aways today.  I just finished a 5" pattern that was in the Crochet-A-Pattern-A-Day Calendar.  It is so cute and we will be getting a picture soon.  It is a pattern from someone on C'ville.  Her name is papersmiles.

Well Mary Jo wish your knee would just quit hurting.  That reminds me I havent decided whether to get that calendar or not.  I have like 12 boxes of them and dont think I have ever used a pattern in them.  If I did it was because I already had the pattern from somewhere else.  If I happen to see it at JoAnns and can use a coupon then I will know I am suppose to get it.

Yes Krys that is a bonsai pot .  I guess we have been learning about bonsai for 10 years now.  We use aluminum wire as it is much cheaper and easier to use than copper wire.  Some people prefer using copper but it has to be annealed first.  Copper is better if you are working on big trees.   I also used to think that they always started designing and working with very small young trees until I watched a master start with a tree taller than me and work it back radically pruning it and then using wire to position the branches.  It is fascinating and like you said a lot to learn.  One reason there is a lot to learn is any plant that forms a bark could be used to create a bonsai so you need to know the needs of the specific plant you are working with.  They are not "house plants" but some house plants can be used for bonsai.  For the most part we leave them outside as much as we can.  Tropicals have to come in when the temp drops to 50°. Other trees need  some cold to go thru their dormancy cycle.  They need to go through their notmal cycles like they would where they are normally found in nature.  Everyone always seems to want trees from other parts of the world so it gets interesting.  Our master from Puerto Rico had purchased a refigeration unit so he could have trees that need some cold.  Wintering is a challenge here in the midwest because of the erratic wide temp swings and wind so we have to come up with ways to protect them a bit.

It is another cloudy misty although warm day out.  I cant believe how little sun we have had for the past month.  Sinus stuff is better but still hanging in there probably because of crying so much.  Thats why I got it to begin with.

3 hours ago, bgs said:

Well Mary Jo wish your knee would just quit hurting.  That reminds me I havent decided whether to get that calendar or not.  I have like 12 boxes of them and dont think I have ever used a pattern in them.  If I did it was because I already had the pattern from somewhere else.  If I happen to see it at JoAnns and can use a coupon then I will know I am suppose to get it.

Yes Krys that is a bonsai pot .  I guess we have been learning about bonsai for 10 years now.  We use aluminum wire as it is much cheaper and easier to use than copper wire.  Some people prefer using copper but it has to be annealed first.  Copper is better if you are working on big trees.   I also used to think that they always started designing and working with very small young trees until I watched a master start with a tree taller than me and work it back radically pruning it and then using wire to position the branches.  It is fascinating and like you said a lot to learn.  One reason there is a lot to learn is any plant that forms a bark could be used to create a bonsai so you need to know the needs of the specific plant you are working with.  They are not "house plants" but some house plants can be used for bonsai.  For the most part we leave them outside as much as we can.  Tropicals have to come in when the temp drops to 50°. Other trees need  some cold to go thru their dormancy cycle.  They need to go through their notmal cycles like they would where they are normally found in nature.  Everyone always seems to want trees from other parts of the world so it gets interesting.  Our master from Puerto Rico had purchased a refigeration unit so he could have trees that need some cold.  Wintering is a challenge here in the midwest because of the erratic wide temp swings and wind so we have to come up with ways to protect them a bit.

It is another cloudy misty although warm day out.  I cant believe how little sun we have had for the past month.  Sinus stuff is better but still hanging in there probably because of crying so much.  Thats why I got it to begin with.

Thank you Brenda, I really appreciate all that extra info on Bonsai trees. I have seen many pictures of them. And some of them are just so beautiful!:).

I never knew they need cold weather. WOW even a fridge :).

Krys 

7 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.  It is a crisp and cool morning.

Kristy so sorry to hear about the fire, but at least everyone got out.  That is most important.

Looks like I am going to have to go and get another shot.  The first one wore off two days later.  So that will happen after Thanksgiving, cause he is only in the office near me on Thursdays.

Going to work on my give aways today.  I just finished a 5" pattern that was in the Crochet-A-Pattern-A-Day Calendar.  It is so cute and we will be getting a picture soon.  It is a pattern from someone on C'ville.  Her name is papersmiles.

Is that pattern still here-C'ville? Just asking because I would like to see that:).

Krys

im pretty bored today i guess lol either one or the other hot or cold weather wise   i guess right 

we are having the kids on thanksgiving and dd is bringing stuff to add to

our menu so that will be fun  she is almost a vegan now eating very little if any  dairy or meat so should be interesting huh 

nothing much new here so ill sign off for now  keep well all and stay warm  good luck on that ghan sandra and everyone enjoy the afternoon  till later        im already loosing my light in the craft room here and at this time 4:12 pm the street lights here are on alredy! !i hate that   

Edited by katyallen8090

Krys you have to try to mimic the  tree's native climate.  The guy in Puerto Rico does fine with the trees like ficus----in Puerto Rico ficus are huge trees but since he wants to work with junipers and maples he needs a refrigeration unit for them to mimic winter.  

Kristy when was the chimney and stove pipe last cleaned? Creosote builds up from burning wood and will catch on fire.  We clean our chimney and stove pipe every fall and again about Feb if we burn much wood.  The stove pipe also deteriorates and needs to be replaced periodically.  

Sandra a sister and niece will come out here.  The others always have other places to be.  I put the turkey in the oven early.  Dh likes waking up to the smell of it cooking.  Niece will watch the parade while sis and I work in the kitchen so we can eat after Santa makes his appearance in the parade.  Dh likes to watch the dog show that follows.   Sis, niece and I go shopping on Fri so we spend the afternoon going through ads.  We no longer have to do serious shopping thanks to the internet but they usually have some coupons they want to use so we dont have to start out as early as we use to.  Fri dh drops me off at sis's house about 5am on his way to work.  We shop for a bit.  I get my once a year egg mcmuffin.  Then we go to Crown Center.   We used to take my niece there to see Santa when she was little.  Its always decorated so pretty for Christmas.  There are special shops, the Mayors Christmas tree, an ice rink, different eating places, live music.  They have added Legoland and an aquarium but I havent made it to them.  Its also connected by an indoor walkway to Union Station and a hotel that has a landscaped hillside with a waterfall.  We always visit the Hallmark visitors center.  We usually dont buy much except the bagels dh loves.  The most popular place to eat on that day is Fritzs.  Its a railroad themed hamburger joint.  You phone your order in from the phone at your table and the food is delivered via a train running on track near the ceiling and drops down on a little elevator.  Dh stops after work and picks up my favorite bbq and we eat at my sis house (all during the Thanksgiving meal I am looking forward to bbq Fri),  Sat morning we go back to my sis's house and sis, niece, and I make cut out sugar cookies using my grandma's cookie cutters.  

Edited by bgs

Good Morning everyone.  Hope everyone is doing better today.

It is cool and crisp, no humidity at all.

Did some work on my give a ways and need to do some more.

Not much going on here.  In a few minutes I will be making breakfast, then on to my corner.

Have a fun day.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:35 AM, Tampa Doll said:

My family doctor is only in her office on Thursday, also!  I still think that's so odd!!  Of course, I still remember when we could go to our dr's office any weekday--withOUT an appt. and get help!  Things--they are a-changin', aren't they?!  I guess people don't get sick on any other days than Thursday...???

well mj am waiting to see these giveaaways and soon  such talk and no pics will not do!! 

i changed my password for the lap top yesterday  and good thing i put it on a small piece of scrap paper  and tucked under the lid lol till i could put it in my pword log cause otherwise i would have forgotten lol i had such a long one before but it didn't let me do a much shorter one so whatever huh  i wanted three letters it said no   more is needed lol   bossy little sucker huh!! 

bright and sunny out today but not all that warm either  seems about right though for my taste i hate hot lol and for the record i hate extreme cold as well   ah well Hawaii sounds like my cup of tea but the cost of living there is way too high for our budget lol  id have to quit yarning and eating lol but might break even almost with heating and ac costs huh lol i dunno really but something to think on huh ha ha  i have never seen the ocean either one so that would be neat  im used to being landlocked splat in the almost dead middle of the country so i dunno  now if someone offered me a furnished home there for nuttin id say yeah sure thing and jump the next 747 out bound outta

Epley  airfield   lol   in my wildest dreams that would be my favorite one lol and as long as im dreaming i

wouldn't mind some cash either on a super ball lottery ticket say at  least a couple mil just so if i needed to replace

their choice of furnishings lol and to share with family/friends   so there   lol   whats your most fav dream discounting health or peace or heavy things like that lol which of course is top  first and foremost  ah well one can dream right, lolI guess i am right where i should be right now and am grateful for what i do have  huh    

yes bgs that is Mr Maxie as my icon lol  and yes Sandra i want to know what everyone is working on too  !! i haven't crocheted since that last scarf in light and lofty ill see if i have the pic on the laptop here but i dot think so i think its on the desktop well ill check ok     

well here is a pic when it was partially done anyway lol turned out so soft and fluffy so000_0323.thumb.JPG.cdd77168b96c9ecc8d2f728e219bd73d.JPG i continued and glad i did  lol i have two more big balls all from the same skein so i can do at least one more probably when my wrists recover lol   and the blue and white fringed one is made from blue and white jiffy yarn and then the white two strands of white baby or sports yarn together and that one turned out great too lol  just trying to use up some odd skeins and scraps is all  lol  mission accomplice!! pardone my Francias  lol  no really lol      

000_0313.JPG

Edited by katyallen8090

Katy pretty scarves.  So far all I have been working on are squares for PRR.  Need to do a couple more for Charis and work in the ends on hers.  Like I mentioned before I am getting spoiled doing the PRR squares since she wants to do the ends herself. I saw an interview and now they are recommending using a sentence or phrase for passwords as they are longer and easier to remember.

For a change the sun is out today and its warm enough I have carried some of the tropicals back outside.  I have been sorting through and things and have another pile of stuff.for the thrift store and a couple of packages for PRR . Spent the morning cleaning a few things in the kitchen.  Trying to go thru the motions of being ok.  I am trying to put the tree up and its really hard as I had soft toys I hung on it for her and her ornament.   I guess one of these days we will have to decide what to do with all her things.  

well  ah i miss tc stories too  we buried our ginger with her fav toy and her rawhide bone  for her journey to a better place  i still have her tags and collar and a swatch of her "mane" in case someday we will be able to clone her  i have swatches from all our gone but not forgotten fur babies. i think of her every single day multiple times and still miss her like crazy  I i doubt i will   ever have another dog as good as she was    

Mary Jo,  heard the news tonight and you have a serial killer still lose in TAMPA, so don't go out alone, not even with trash or for the newspaper, and keep your doors locked, and double locked.. I fear for all those in TAMPA, until they nab him..  

all my news for now, not much going on, just a sunny day, and deli fried chicken for dinner tonight, handy worked on someone's fence, so we didn't cook tonight, lol He got the posts set in cement and some framework done but is working alone as his helper hurt his ribs somehow  and is tired  tonight putting his feet up for a while, lol  i have had at  two separate times had two different separated ribs and the pain is quite owie  my floating  rib on the one side snapped away from the sternum and that was the most painful of the two times ok to this da still they ache sometimes... 

now l see you tomorrow, ok... have a good evening...:ghug      

Edited by katyallen8090

Love the scarfs Katy.

Yeah Collette, I am old enough to remember Dr.'s making house calls.  Everybody specializes.

Up early this morning.  Going to make a trip to the store to get my medicine, then off to my corner.

Have a fun day everyone.

hi all thanks Tampa and be careful going out today  i am still wondering what hand out pickles are ok lol  

bgs i have a pic of my ginge in the craft room as she was always where mama was and she still stands watch over me im sure 

and i can feel her love still 

and i too think of mini  every day and hope she is healthy and happy in her families  home as she sure demanded full attention

hoping she gets plenty of it  she was my girl too and i miss her tremendously but its different in that of course   that she is hopefully safe and happy but she is still not here with me  sometimes i think i hear her calling for me as she did that now and then to make  sure i was some where close by and then when i told her i was here she would come to me to make sure lol 

ah well broken hearts are no stranger to any of us i know  as we have  all seen many dark and painful days with many reasons for the  shadows  that seem to smudge and  penetrate,threatening our very souls        

Some as in deaths stay for a very long time  I've discovered but are in time replaced,,  or maybe softened is a better word,  with the good times we remember with those that have gone before us to a better place      

oh boy gotta get some more stuff done more later on ok stay well stay safe   :ghug 

On 11/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, owlvamp said:

Good evening all!

Sorry about the fire , but happy everyone was safe.

Whats on everyone's hook? I am still crocheting a granny square blanket.

Whats everyone's plan for thanksgiving?

I am cooking for Thanksgiving and all my kiddos and their boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, and babies will be here

On 11/14/2017 at 9:30 PM, bgs said:

Kristy when was the chimney and stove pipe last cleaned? Creosote builds up from burning wood and will catch on fire.  We clean our chimney and stove pipe every fall and again about Feb if we burn much wood.  The stove pipe also deteriorates and needs to be replaced periodically. 

I am not sure. They lived with her boyfriends parents. 

Part of me hates the holidays. so much stress. I already feel like i want to sit and cry. Yesterday i spent all day in the hospital with my 21 yr old. He has been puking alot lately and having stomache pain and tenderness. Yesterday he started puking blood. They think he has a bleeding ulcer. so now we have to get him on some insurance cause he cant get it at work so we can get an endoscopy sceduled.