Magic Loop & Magic Circle

Dudie19

Question

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Magic Loop and Magic Circle?  Can you use one or the other and get the same results?  I've been crocheting for over 30 years and have seen both mentioned lately and have never used either one.

6 answers to this question

i think it is just whatever name the writer decides to give it on their blog, article, or whatever.  I've also seen it called Magic Ring.  

but there are 2 ways to do it.  the most commonly-seen way uses a single loop to begin.  but you can use a double loop which to me is much easier.  Edie Eckman found this method in a Japanese reference and uses it in her books, she calls it sliding loop.  If you google the words Eckman sliding loop,  you can see it online.  

Magic Loop is more commonly used as a knitting term (means something completely different).  Adjustable ring/magic ring are common names for the crochet version.  I like sliding loop, never heard that one, but is very descriptive!

Give it a try, I crocheted for decades before learning it, and it's great.  Some of the tutorials are confusing IMO, until I realized the tutorial I was following was simply this:  Make a slip knot, as you always do to start a chain - but don't close it around the hook.  Instead, leave it as an open circle, about 1", and start crocheting around the loop (including around the tail end).  When you have the # of stitches you need, pull the tail to close the loop.  Weave in the tail securely to lock it.

The nicest thing is that you can close it really tight if you want, or leave an open center ring if you prefer.  Sometimes the latter helps me control ruffling in doilies by opening up the middle a bit.

I use the magic loop all the time for ami's and other projects where you want a neat closed hole when you are done.  There are lots of great videos out there that demonstrate a couple of different ways to get the loop established.  I found one that worked for me and I often substitute it even when the pattern doesn't use it.

• Like 1

You can look at these 2 videos here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8d2cYK0ew    and here  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVHMbvvDmaA

I answer this to the first link "The magic loop is something so different in knitting. I prefer, for the thing you do call it the magic Ring, no ?"

I hope it helps You. You are my first answer to the forum and I like sharing! Hi, I'm from Paris (France) and hope You are safe in these scaring days... Take care all of You!

Edited by WoolyDelav
I don't understand how answering !?