Warm Up America Squares 2016-2017

Inkked0317

I have decided that I will be making at least one 7x9 square per day and bringing them all with me to the annual Caron tent sale in May 2017.

Mike from The Crochet Crowd offered 3 skeins of tshirt yarn for every 5 squares handed in at the tent sale in 2016. I have no idea if they're offering anything in exchange for the squares in 2017, but it's a great charity!

If anyone else would like to send me squares to be added to the collection, I am more than happy to receive them. I will keep track of who sends me squares so that if there is any kind of bonus offered I can send it back!

Please message me for my mailing address if you've got squares to send me. All squares must be 7x9 knit or crochet in worsted weight, machine washable yarn. The sale is the first week of May 2017 and I plan on attending in the first day or two so I'll need to receive everything by the last week of April at the latest.

• 1 month later...

Tell me more about this tent sale!  Just retired, want to put it on my bucket list for 2017, hubby goes to tractor shows, I want to go to a yarn show.  Were they collecting for Warm Up America this year?  Where in NC is it?  Charlene

Hi Charlene!

The yarn sale is HUGE! It's an annual thing, the first week of May each year, in Washington, NC.  It runs a week long, from 10 AM until 5 PM each day usually.  In my personal experience, the first day is an absolute mob scene with people lining up well before the gates even open and it's just packed with people. But I've gone the second morning at 10 AM and it was much better (in my opinion) crowd-wise.  They put out new stock each morning until they run out, and it's first come first serve so there is no holding the yarn for later.  The typical 6 ounce skeins are usually 3 to a package, some of the cotton yarns that come in the smaller balls are 6 to a package, the one pounders are generally individually sold.  Each type of yarn has a price listed per package (this year Simply Soft was $5 for a 3 skein package) and this year there was a buy 3 get 1 free within each type (so you could get 4 different colors if you wanted).  It's amazing!  This year I paid right around $85 including tax and I brought home over $600 worth (pre-tax!).  

They collected squares for Warm Up America this year.  I'm honestly not sure they'll be collecting them again in 2017...but if they're not, then I will just ship all the squares I gather/make off the the organization myself!

• 2 months later...

T shirt yarn is a bulky yarn made of t shirt material.  It worked up very quickly and the blankets I made are really nice, although I believe most people use it for floor mats or rugs.  

Also, just FYI, they're doing a bonus week tent sale here in Washington NC next week!!!  Starts Monday and runs through next Saturday!

Hi Jessie, 

I have been making squares for WUA trying to bust my HUGH stash.  I currently have 55 done.  If you still want them when it gets closer to May 2017 I will send all of mine to you for the tent sale.  (If they are still collecting next year). If they are not collecting at the sale I will just mail them directly to WUA.

Any gifts/yarn you receive for the squares you may keep...(I'VE GOT TO CLEAN OUT MY CLOSET OF YARN!!!) :rofl

Shawn

Hi Shawn!!

I'm going to the tent sale next week and I'll check then to see if they're going to collect for Warm Up America next May or not. I'll post on here when I get back from the sale on Tuesday!!  I'm about to take a BIG hit next week on my stashbusting score lol!! :yes

I have decided that I will be making at least one 7x9 square per day and bringing them all with me to the annual Caron tent sale in May 2017.

Mike from The Crochet Crowd offered 3 skeins of tshirt yarn for every 5 squares handed in at the tent sale in 2016. I have no idea if they're offering anything in exchange for the squares in 2017, but it's a great charity!

If anyone else would like to send me squares to be added to the collection, I am more than happy to receive them. I will keep track of who sends me squares so that if there is any kind of bonus offered I can send it back!

Please message me for my mailing address if you've got squares to send me. All squares must be 7x9 knit or crochet in worsted weight, machine washable yarn. The sale is the first week of May 2017 and I plan on attending in the first day or two so I'll need to receive everything by the last week of April at the latest.

I wish I could go there in person to get that T-shirt yarn. I would like to make for my daughters cat a "cave-Igloo" out that yarn. I would like to get that yarn all in one color. Something nice for a cat LOL.

I would be able and willing to make a LOT of those squares for T-shirt yarn.

That 3-skeins is that a limit per person?. Because that would not work, I would need more than that.

Krys

PS: I missed that sale on that yarn in "Tent Sale" on line. Now they do not have that anymore:(. I should had bought that than. That was very stupid of me that I didn't!! :(

Hi Krys!

The offer was just for squares brought to the tent sale this past May.  I don't think there was a limit because I wound up being given 10 bags (30 skeins) in May for coming to the sale and having these squares made.  I have no idea if they're even going to be collecting the squares again next year, let alone offering anything to people who bring them in. I'll be going to the tent sale next week and I'll ask about the squares being collected in May to see if they're doing that again or not.  If they're not collecting them, I'll just mail off the squares I've done directly to Warm Up America! 

Hi Krys!

The offer was just for squares brought to the tent sale this past May.  I don't think there was a limit because I wound up being given 10 bags (30 skeins) in May for coming to the sale and having these squares made.  I have no idea if they're even going to be collecting the squares again next year, let alone offering anything to people who bring them in. I'll be going to the tent sale next week and I'll ask about the squares being collected in May to see if they're doing that again or not.  If they're not collecting them, I'll just mail off the squares I've done directly to Warm Up America!

Thank you Jessie:)

Can you ask them IF they still have that T-shirt yarn?. If they would have it I would make any deal with them they want..! LOL. BUT I only want that T-shirt yarn I am not interest in anything else.

Couple months ago I did called that Tent Sale onlinne. They told me that is sold out and they do not expect anymore.

Krys

I'm pretty sure they were giving it away because it was discontinued. It's the same people who do the online Tent Sale, so if they said there won't be any more, I doubt there will be

OK the sale was awesome today!! I got 96 skeins!! Retail cost would have been around $312 and I got it for $120!! Happy dance, happy dance!!

I asked Mikey about the Warm Up America squares and he said they're not collecting them anymore. So, all squares should be sent directly to the charity itself!

Archived