My first graphgan

Sarah Vanover

I am new to crocheting. I have only been crocheting since January of this year (2016). I started crocheting as a way to keep my mind active and off my oldest being gone and in the Navy and not being home during the day to do things together or on the rare night off, a girls night out! You see, in boot camp, they can't write home for 3 weeks!!! My first project was a baby blanket in c2c to learn stitches and then in March, I jumped into designing and starting this graphgan in April. It is 180 stitches wide and 270 tall. I am using HDC for the red letters and for the blanket in general. I rounded the anchor to "set it off" from the rest of the blanket, and will do the yellow/gold in front post stitch to "set it off" as well. For the border I'm thinking will be double crochet all the way around, in navy, and then I will crochet 2 strands of the gold together and weave them through the double crocheted navy every 2 stitches, maybe even add a single stitch of gold around the double crocheted navy.

The first picture is the graphgan patter I designed myself for my daughter. I wanted something original and one of a kind to commemorate her joining the Navy and following her dreams. So I came up with that design.

The second picture is my progress thus far after frogging it 5 times after 40 rows to try and get a straighter edge, which I figured out after was because I needed to chain 1 and turn, not chain 2 and turn like most videos and patterns say to do with a half double stitch, and after she decided she wanted the anchor a little more rounded to "set it off" more from the name which is block letters. I will attempt to do the small amount of gold in a front post stitch to set the chain off just a bit as there's not much gold.

The reason for the colors in the graphgan is: the flag is red, white and blue and the navy colors are navy and gold.

Since I am new to this I figured I'd post and show to see what everyone thought. Near the top of the letter "E" is where I changed to chain 1 turn and continue rather than the chain 2 turn and continue like the videos and everything I read about HDC said to do. I switched because it was "fanning" out and I needed to get it back into shape. Since that worked, I've stayed doing it.

post-77129-0-26397000-1462801515_thumb.jpeg

post-77129-0-41249700-1462801626_thumb.jpeg

You may be new to crocheting, but you're obviously not new to creativity and crafting.  What you've done so far looks great!

Here's the thing about turning chains...  Their purpose is to reach the stitch height so that the first stitch doesn't slant.  So, there are a set of guidelines for turning chains.  However, everyone's stitches are not exactly like other people's stitches.  What you've done is figure out what height works best for YOUR stitches.  That's wonderful!

The portion that looks like it's sticking out when you were chaining 2, really doesn't show.  Also, since you're going to do an edge, the chains all get hidden and your sides will be straight.  Since you're new to crochet, I hope you don't mind if I write some things I've learned about edging and borders.

• When you get done with the body, then decide if you need an edge or a border.  Not all afghans, especially graphs will look better with an edge.
  • My definition of an edge is a round (or 2) of sc just to hide the side.  My definition of a border is something decorative that frames the afghan.
  • If you do decide to do a border, start with an edge of sc that is the same color as the body.  It'll make the transition from body to border cleaner and easier.
  • When spacing the sc along the sides, try to make them ~ the same size as your normal sc.  If they are too far apart, the afghan curls from pulling.  If they are too close together, the afghan will ripple.  (I've done a LOT of frogging to learn the right spacing for my stitch size.)  It helps to place stitch markers an even distance apart along the sides, then shoot for the same number of stitches between each marker.
  • You need more stitches in a edge or border's corner than along the sides.  My rule of thumb is 3 stitches for sc and 5 for dc.  Start with that and adjust for your stitching.

Good luck!  You are well on your way!!  Your daughter is going to be thrilled.  :)

That looks great so far.  For someone who is new you are doing a bang up job.  I agree with redrosesdz a sc around is most of the time, unless if is for a little one, all you need.

Hey Mom, before you know it, the 3 weeks will be over. 

Thank you for the support and advice. I will definitely keep them in mind;)! There's a couple places that I have 2 extra stitches in the width and it sticks out, too far, I think for a sc and that's why I was going to do a double first before any border. I will most definitely post a picture of it closer to finished to confirm thoughts on a border and opinions on stitch changes for chain. I'm still so very unsure of my skills and ability since I know so few stitches, but am very flattered you both feel that I'm doing well for a first attempt at a graphgan and changing colors etc... Thank you! Yes, the 3 weeks did go by fast!

Uhhhhh....you've been crocheting for six months...and you did that???

I have been crocheting for twelve years and am afraid to try a graphghan!!

Great job!!

My younger kids said I was CRAZY for attempting to make this graphgan because I had never crochet and I had never done anything requiring changing colors, but I have done counted cross stitch and needlepoint as well as rainbow loom and murals made with rubber bands. I consider myself relatively crafty but never EVER dreamed I'd be doing anything like this!!! I am having fun but due to being a perfectionist, have frogged it 7-8 times even after doing 50 rows!!! I have learned a lot while doing it. I need a SC to turn not a DC for my HDC and Sometimes I need to just let it go if and when I find a mistake;), which is not easy for me to do!!!

You've learned a lot in a short period of time!  All of the other crafts help with whatever craft you take on next, especially something like crocheting.  Don't worry about all of the frogging.  Even the most accomplished crocheters still have to frog.  I'm somewhere in the intermediate level and I don't think I've ever done a complete project without frogging at least once.  I have friend that is a Master Crocheter and on the board of the Crochet Guild of America ... she still has to frog some times.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick question? ? Since you've all seen my afghan design, I'd like your input;). I'm going to keep the blue background and the red letters the same stitch HDC, but was thinking about using a different stitch to make the white anchor and the yellow chain stand out more. I was thinking the FHDC for the yellow chain but don't know what to use for the anchor unless I use the same as the chain. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Help Please!!!! Someone suggested I should use FPHDC when the chain is "in front" of the anchor and BPHDC when the chain is "behind" the anchor. Leaving the anchor at the same depth as the letters and background, but use a different stitch to add "texture". First, what stitch would you suggest for the anchor? Second, what are your thoughts on this idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Help Please!!!! Someone suggested I should use FPHDC when the chain is "in front" of the anchor and BPHDC when the chain is "behind" the anchor. Leaving the anchor at the same depth as the letters and background, but use a different stitch to add "texture". First, what stitch would you suggest for the anchor? Second, what are your thoughts on this idea?

First of all, I love the design! It's perfect for a daughter in the navy!

I love your ideas, but I wouldn't mix the FP and BP stitches in the same section - the end result looks different, and you're not seeing the chain when it's behind the anchor anyway. If you do all the gold in FP, the effect will be almost a striped one, which I think will look really pretty. I would keep the anchor the same as the background... 

Archived