Real Deal

Victims of the Fire in Canada

This may be early for next winter, but the people being burned out right now in the huge fire in Canada will need hats, scarves and mittens. It's nearly 90,000 people and the winters are brutal, so we who crochet and knit need all the lead time we can get.

My sister, auntie and I are going to start now, and we are talking to everyone we can. I am so concerned about this because I live only about an hour south of the Canadian border in New York State and our winters are pretty bad.

When anyone hears of groups who will be collecting and sending these kind of items, please let us know here on Crochetville and I will pass the word on. My sister is already talking to people she knows on other crochet groups too.

I figure if I can do only 1 row or round a night over the next 6 months, that's still a lot of warmth for someone. If we can all do it, we'll really warm up Canadians when they need it.

Edited by Real Deal
  • Like 1

This is a great idea.

Back in June 1990 when our neighborhood was very badly damaged in an epic flash flood, people were incredibly generous to those who had lost everything. It wasn't until that December, after most of the charities had closed, that the survivors realized they had no winter clothes, Christmas decorations, etc. The same thing would be true of winter disasters; nobody would realize they were missing summer stuff.

Exactly. People are very generous at the time of a disaster. A few months later, not so much. I'm worried about this disaster because it's so many people, and I know the winters are so bad. These are our North American brothers and sisters, and I personally want to help.

Avon Lady - That's what we don't know yet.

At this time, people aren't really thinking about sending cold weather items, but they will be eventually. If anyone on Crochetville hears about groups, churches, agencies, etc. that will want our crocheted items to send, please let us know.

If anyone feels they can make cold weather items, please start now so we can have lots and lots ready for next winter.

You can contact the Canadian Red Cross.  That is who is on the ground and organizing help and support, they are also accepting donations.  I believe at this time they are asking for cash donations or essential items.  I've got friends that lived in Fort Mac and they don't really know if their house is still standing or not :(

Thank you Creekbottom. I'm working on my first scarf now.

My parents started taking me (and my sisters) to Canada every year as each of us reached the age of 2. We spent every summer there and made many good friends. I feel like I have citizenship in Canada as well as in the US. I always loved being in the forests and lakes. I feel absolutely stricken that so much forest has burned.