Poncho Pattern Help!

Ehrin

Question

This step just does not make sense in my brain, please help.

Am i supposed to slip stitch, chain 1 and single crochet in the next 2 double crochets? or is that in the space between the 3-double crochet groups? All the commas and [] make it really confusing and i don't know what parts relate to eachother

Round 3: Slip st in next 2 dc, (slip st, ch 1, sc) in next space between 3-dc groups, [*ch 2, sc in next space between 3-dc groups; repeat from * to next ch-3 space, ch 2, (sc, ch 3, sc) in ch-3 space] twice, ch 2; join with slip st in first sc—50 (54, 58) sc, 48 (52, 56) ch-2 spaces, 2 ch-3 spaces.

Link to entire pattern as well 

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4967.pdf

5 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

sometimes pattern directions don't make a lot of sense, we have to just do what it says and then we understand it.  this does have a lot of parentheses and asterisks...do you know what those mean?  

the last part where it says "50 (54, 58) sc, 48 (52, 56) ch-2 spaces, 2 ch-3 spaces." that is just telling you how many sc stitches and chain spaces you have made.  

hi, welcome to the ville!

sometimes pattern directions don't make a lot of sense, we have to just do what it says and then we understand it.  this does have a lot of parentheses and asterisks...do you know what those mean?  

the last part where it says "50 (54, 58) sc, 48 (52, 56) ch-2 spaces, 2 ch-3 spaces." that is just telling you how many sc stitches and chain spaces you have made.  

Thank you!

The parentheses are supposed to show alternatives if you want to make it larger, but the first parentheses does not make sense to me and i don't know where exactly it is refering to, am i supposed to slip stitch, chain 1 and single crochet in the first 2 double crochets or in the space inbetween the 3-dc groups? or is this just for a larger model?

some of the parentheses do show different numbers for different sizes.  but some of them show a group of stitches that are all made into the same spot.  

so in this case, first you slip stitch into each of the next 2 dc.  then you make a slip stitch, chain 1, and an sc, all into the next space between 3-dc groups.  This would be for all sizes.  

does that make sense so far?  I'd suggest you go ahead and do that much, then look at the next part of the round.  

some of the parentheses do show different numbers for different sizes.  but some of them show a group of stitches that are all made into the same spot.  

so in this case, first you slip stitch into each of the next 2 dc.  then you make a slip stitch, chain 1, and an sc, all into the next space between 3-dc groups.  This would be for all sizes.  

does that make sense so far?  I'd suggest you go ahead and do that much, then look at the next part of the round.  

That does make sense, thank you!

Archived