Help with a pattern!

catfriend22

Question

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what part of a pattern means. I worked 41 (I'm following the pattern for the second to last size) stitches across the ribbing and followed the next 5 rows in the pattern, which increased it to 45 stitches. Then it says:

Keeping cont of Texture Pat, inc 1 st each end of next row and following RS rows 2 (4-4-4-5-5) times more, taking inc sts into pat. 45 (51-53-53-57-57) sts.

How many more rows am I meant to do? I dont really understand where the 12 increased stitches come from...

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Christine

22 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

I detailed the calculations above. Does my prior post help?

You're going to do...

Rs row.

Ws row with an increase in the first stitch and a second increase in the last stitch. 

Rs row.

Ws row with an increase in the first stitch and a second increase in the last stitch.

Rs row.

Rs row.

Rs row.

2 increases * 4 ws rows = 8 increases. So before you start this section, you should have 43 stitches. 43 + 8 = 51.

I suggest that you take a look at the link that Magiccrochetfan gave upstream, http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/over-easy-cowl-neck.html

It is the 'real' copy of the pattern (download the pdf).  I don't think (or don't know if) the 'All Free Crochet' site has authorization to reproduce the pattern; in any event, if the yarn company made any updates or corrections to their copyrighted pattern, the 'All Free' site might not be the updated version, or may not have even transcribed the pattern correctly.The pattern has an illustration of working into the horizontal bar of the stitch, which the 'All Free' site is missing--I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue you are having. 

What you've done looks correct -- I think...now that I look at it I can see the top row is alternating sc, dc but not sure about the row below?   The third row from the top appears to be the last row of the horizontal ribbing. 

Is your stitch count correct?  If not, you will need to count the stitches in your rows until you find where you went wrong.  If the number of stitches in the horizontal ribbing is correct, you'll know the error is in one of the last 2 rows (I hope it isn't further down...)

Hi Sonia,

It's against forum rules to post pictures of patterns due to copyright violations. Please delete the picture. 

What Magic suggested is a picture of what you've done so far. A close-up of the stitches is helps. You may need to take a few pics to show us what's wrong. 

Hi Sharon :waving

I don't follow you....Sonia asked about "end of next row and following rs rows 4 times more"  and thats what i see in the sleeve on the Caron pattern I linked to.

maybe there are wrong side row incs elsewhere in the pattern, i haven't read it word for word.  

Oh wait.....here's the confusion i think:  "following RS row" means to do the instruction within the following (subsequent) RS row.  so in this pattern on the sleeve, you start the increases on a specific row, then also do increases on the subsequent RS rows.  Good example of pattern-ese that could be a whole lot more clear!  they could have said to make increase on row 9, and then on row 11, 13, 15, .....      Just saying "at end of next row and ON following/subsequent/next rows" would have helped!!

i think i may have located the pattern: http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/over-easy-cowl-neck.html  on Yarnspirations.  

i see this instruction on the sleeve, after you've made the bottom ribbing.  i don't see that it has told you to mark one side of the sleeve as the right side, so kind of odd to then give an instruction for the RS.  i would just make the increases on the row it says to, then every second  row, until you have the right number of stitches.  what it is saying is to do the increases on every "right" side row, and no increases on every "wrong" side row, until you have the right # of stitches.  

hi, welcome to the ville!  some patterns can be hard to understand, so don't let one confusing pattern get you down!  It would help if you will tell us the name and location of the specific pattern.

what kind of row have you just made when you come to this instruction---in other words, the just-completed row, was it right or wrong side?  

Ok I have this same pattern: keeping cont of texture pat, increase one stitch end of next row and following rs rows 4 times more for my size. With increases I should have 51 when I am through. My problem is this : when I start this process I am in the rs am I doing something wrong? And do I increase each row?

Signed

confused and ready to quit

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Hopefully I can break it down into plain English. 

Keeping cont of Texture Pat means that you're going to be doing the same row(s) that you just did so that the pattern continues.

Inc 1 st each end of next row means that you make 2 stitches in the same stitch in the first stitch and again in the last stitch. This increases the number of stitches in the row by 2. The count is add 1 for the first stitch  increase and add another 1 for the last stitch increase.

And following RS rows 2 (4-4-4-5-5) times more means that you increased on the row that was on the wrong side. Now you need to follow it by doing a right side row. Alternate doing a wrong side row with increases and doing a right side row. The counts are how many times you repeat the right side row. Do the number for your size.

Taking inc sts into pat. 45 (51-53-53-57-57) means that at the end of the last repeating rows your stitch count should match the count for your size. For example, the first size had 41 stitches before this instruction. You repeat WS w/ incs & RS rows 2 times. 2 inc × 2 = 4. The ending stitch count is 41 + 4 = 45. (Similar calculations for the other sizes.)

I hope this helps! Before you try it, go back and figure out why you have 40 stitches. You should have 41.

On 4/28/2016 at 8:06 AM, magiccrochetfan said:

welcome to the ville!   notice that you are increasing one at *each* end of the specified rows.  so you have 6 rows where you increase, times 2 incs in each of those rows = 12 incs total.  

Hi, im having the same problem here. i currently have 40 sts. and my next pattern is this :

Keeping cont of Texture Pat, inc 1 st each end of next row and following RS rows 2 (4-4-4-5-5) times more, taking inc sts into pat. 45 (51-53-53-57-57) sts.

from your older post,

what do you mean "times 2 incs in each of those rows" ? do you mean inc 1 at beginning and end of every row?

and what does following RS rows 2 (4-4-4-5-5) times more ?

It would be really helpful if you reply this post :)

hello catfriend22,

I believe you're doing the over easy cowl neck by caron simply soft. am i right? Did you manage to finish this project? I'm currently having the same problem with you. I'm doing the S size, and have 40 sts.

I dont understand what magiccrochetfan said about : times 2 incs in each of those rows.

does it mean to inc 1 at the beginning and end of every row?

I also dont understand this part of pattern :

following RS rows 2 (4-4-4-5-5) times more.

Can you please explain it to me thoroughly? I'm really new at crochet and this is my first project.

Thank You in advanced :)

Cindy

Thank you so much!!! I didn't mean to post it three times, but I can't figure out how delete it...I'm sorry!

You are welcome  :)

It's ok to not delete the duplicates, I just thought you might want to.  Not a big deal at all, don't worry about it.

Crochetville is a really fun and informative place, I hope you enjoy being a ville-er :hook

welcome to the ville!   notice that you are increasing one at *each* end of the specified rows.  so you have 6 rows where you increase, times 2 incs in each of those rows = 12 incs total.  

Archived