Which yarn fiber holds its shape better?

Minty-Goodness

I have considered making a long sleeved dress but I'm curious as to which yarn will hold its shape better?  I know that tension will also play a part in how sturdy(if that's the right word for it) a stitch will be and my tension is rather tight although I have improved since I first started.  I have yarn that is 85% acrylic 15% nylon that I'm thinking about using because I love the feel of it and the colors.

The last thing I want is to make a dress and have the butt area become all droopy and saggy from sitting. lol  The dress is done in hdc in the back loops but I might just do the stitches in both loops because I made a shrug using the back loops and I find it feels too loose.

Thanks!

Acrylic is synthetic.  Different manufactures have different recipes (not sure if that's the right term) for making acrylic yarn.  As such, it comes in a wide variety of textures and elasticity.  Then you add in another synthetic fiber, like nylon, and you've got a wildcard as to the strength and elasticity of the yarn.  I've used acrylic that had almost no elasticity.  Currently I'm working with a mix of cotton and acrylic yarn that is super stretchy when the project is done, but feels like it has no elasticity when it's being worked.  So, with acrylic you really can't tell until something is finished, washed and used. 

What's the manufacturer and name of the yarn?

Also, you could do a search on the yarn and see if there are reviews out there for it.  You might get an answer that way. 

Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm using Loops & Threads Manchester. I've made a small poncho with this yarn and washed it and aside from feeling much softer after the wash, it's still the same shape and not stretched out in any way.

I'll try to find reviews on it to see what others have said.

I think you have reason to be concerned; back in the day when dresses/skirt suits were more common office attire, I learned to stick to woven fabrics after I experienced machine knit fabric skirts becoming misshapen in the seat area (not sure of the fabric content, but probably man-made); I don't think I'd consider crocheting or knitting a skirt or dress (except for a baby), especially in worsted weight.  Just my personal inclination.

I do make lots of worsted weight winter sweaters in acrylic, though; one thing they do is pill a lot in areas of wear.  

I suspect the back loop thing is to create a slightly drapier fabric, as well as texture.  HDC is a fairly dense stitch.

I like the idea of a tunic because you will then have more "dress up" choices. Wear a skirt or pants or even a floor length skirt with it.

Archived