nurseann

add names to baby blanket

Question

Hello I have made the ABC blanket and eat-sleep-play-repeat baby afghans and others in puff stitches I would like to get more creative and add the baby's name and date of birth  in puff stitches. It there an easy way to do this with graph paper? Is there a trick? 

1 answer to this question

I'm not sure about 'easy', but it's not 'hard'.  Do a search on the internet for graphed alphabets, there are lots of them.  Antique Pattern Library has a bunch, some are very ornate but there are many simpler fonts there too.  I'd choose a simpler font, and not huge -- you'd be surprised how quickly the pixels needed for the width of a message eats up stitches.

Write out what you want to say.  Looking at the font graph for every letter & number, count the number of pixels wide each letter is, and write that number under each letter.  Usually not all letters are the same width, I is narrower than M etc.  Then, decide a reasonable looking number of spaces between each letter for the name (and a greater space between words if applicable if you're writing 'Mary Jane Smith' versus just 'Mary'.) and write that spacing number between the letters.  Count up all the numbers needed for the width of the wording.

If you want to center the name and date, draw a line down the middle of the graph paper.  You may have to tape 2 pages of graph paper together depending on the number of letters and font you have.  Divide the number of pixels in the message by 2; then re-count the pixels and draw a line in your message where the half-way point is (It may fall in the middle of a letter or space).  Now, plot your wording on the graph paper from the center out.

The next bit of planning is figuring how you want to position the message in the blanket, and plan the blanket around that.  The best way to do this is to swatch to figure out your gauge with the yarn and hook you want to use, decide how big of a blanket you want, then figure out how many rows you need above and below the message, as well as side to side.

It might be cute to add some other things to the blanket, here are some bobble chart patterns for animals etc.