Type of yarn for dishcloths

Chatterpatter

Question

15 answers to this question

Generally cotton is used because it can be washed, plus bleached if you wish (because of bacteria). Also cotton holds up well to the beating it gets doing dishes, or scrubbing counters or sinks.

Bleach turns nylon and elastics yellowish. It can't be used on acrylics. I don't know about wool, but do you want to use wool to do dishes anyway?

I use Peaches & Creme, and Sugar 'n Cream for dishcloths and bath cloths. I especially love them for a bath or shower because they are soft, but at the same time, a bit scrubby. I use dishcloth patterns to make them, and add rnds or rows if needed.

I think it is, but once in a while someone says they like to use acrylic yarn, like a Red Heart Super Saver that's on the scratchy side. I suppose you could use it. Just be sure to wash it good.

With my cotton cloths, I do wash them by machine, but I hang them to dry.

I've seen people say they use acrylic for dishcloths, too.  However, I always wondered about how well they would hold up compared to cotton.  Although, I've seen potholders and hot pads made from acrylic.  I use Premier's Cotton and Sugar N Creme for dishcloths and anything kitchen related.  I'm guessing that any natural, plant based fiber would do.

I've seen people say they use acrylic for dishcloths, too.  However, I always wondered about how well they would hold up compared to cotton.  Although, I've seen potholders and hot pads made from acrylic.  I use Premier's Cotton and Sugar N Creme for dishcloths and anything kitchen related.  I'm guessing that any natural, plant based fiber would do.

I prefer to use acrylic whenever I make potholders--I've had a couple of cotton-yarn potholders catch fire from the flame on the stove!!  Acrylic just melts.

However--cotton is fine for dish cloths!

I use cotton from a variety of sources/companies for my dishclothes and pot holders.  However, I was surprised to discover a pattern for scrubbies that required cheap acrylic yarn for best use.  I had never thought of acrylic for kitchen use.  I will say I've never found anything that scrubs as well as these do.  I've used them on my indoor and outdoor grills and nothing cleans like these do.

I made some for family and have had hints that more are wanted. :yes:lol

Well, I make scrubbies (for washing dishes) out of acrylic, and bath cloths out of cotton.  I prefer the thinner purchased cotton kitchen cloths for wiping countertops etc., they dry faster than kitchen cotton (acrylic does not absorb moisture so useless for this).  

I do have a few acrylic trivets (that I only use for setting hot dishes on), but they don't hold up well in the 'looking nice' department because the dishes are hot enough to deform (smash down) the acrylic, but not melt it.  For taking things out of the oven, I use only cotton - I've never had one catch fire (I suspect that's unlikely unless you touched it to the oven or stove element as mentioned above), however you can quickly put out a smoldering potholder but not molten plastic.  Actually wool has a higher flame point than cotton, and it felts (a good thing, it gets thicker), but bleach damages it.

I've made dishcloths out of both acrylic (RHSS) and cotton (original Pisgah P&C), and tawashi/scrubbies out of acrylic.  I think acrylic works fine for dishes, and it seems to actually hold up better.  I don't usually use chlorine bleach on dishcloths, but the tawashi get used in the sink with Comet which has chlorine in it and it doesn't seem to damage them at all.  After about 7 yrs of use, the acrylic looks "killed" but has no holes.  For the cotton, they get holes in them much quicker.  

I took a photo of 2 acrylic tawashi and a cotton cloth (knit) and you can see the frayed place on the cloth.  

post-10356-0-15094200-1460483831_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested I *think* the tawashi  were made from a Pierrot Yarns pattern, #23-44 on this page http://gosyo.co.jp/english/pattern/eHTML/tawashi.html     or at least a very similar pattern.  this feels more like a sponge because of the double thickness.  

Right now I'm trying to use up my large bin of Peaches & Cream cotton for dishcloths and potholders. It's okay for dishcloths but, I find because I have made quite a few recently, my hands are suffering from drying out from the yarn. My cuticles look like I never take care of my hands. LOL

I also use Lion Brand Cotton-Ease (50% Cotton/50%Acrylic). It's a bit softer than P&C cotton and can be tossed in the washer and dryer.

Lion Brand has a new cotton called 24/7. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't found it anywhere except on the Lion Brand website. Shipping & handling is not that great. Their yarn info states can launder in hottest water and use a dryer. As soon as I can find it, I'm going to give it a try.

Hobby Lobby has a nice 100% cotton called I Love This Cotton that 's reasonable and I like very much for dishcloths and bath cloths. Soft and can throw in hot water for laundering and then a dryer. Makes for a soft baby blanket too. It's not as heavy as P&C yarn

magiccrochetfan, on 12 Apr 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

...............If anyone is interested I *think* the tawashi  were made from a Pierrot Yarns pattern, #23-44 on this page http://gosyo.co.jp/english/pattern/eHTML/tawashi.html     or at least a very similar pattern.  this feels more like a sponge because of the double thickness.  

Hey Kathy- I remember the Tawashi's! I should make some of them for my cotton stash busting project. Here's the link for the written pattern in English with reference to the Gosyo pattern link you provided.

Thanks for the memory jolt.

Hey Kathy- I remember the Tawashi's! I should make some of them for my cotton stash busting project. Here's the link for the written pattern in English with reference to the Gosyo pattern link you provided.

Thanks for the memory jolt.

:)  and I thank you for the link to the written pattern, handy to have for those who prefer that.  

Oh the spiral scrubbie! I picked up a pattern ages ago by Judith Prindle for a spiral scrubbie. I don't know if it's made the same as those shown here. Now I'm going to have to make one, of course! I love the spiral look!

I have some I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby, and it's very soft. I'm using it for baby washcloths, burp cloths, and bibs.

P & C, and S 'n C are harsher, but seem to be the perfect amount of scrubbiness for adult skin. The first hand made cotton bath cloth I tried was a gift, and it was love at first shower. I have never had a commercial cloth that felt so good. I never knew! It felt like something halfway between a "normal" washcloth and a loofa. Now I make lots of them and give them as gifts too.

Now I'm glad I posted the link. I hesitated since I'm not the original poster. Glad I did.

P.S I'm making a red one right now with PnC. It should turn out stiff enough to work well for scrubbing.

Here's a pretty good video tutorial in case anyone has questions.

Chatterpatter: I wouldn't use real soft cotton for the Tawashi. Don't be intimidated by the pattern for this scrubby. Just be sure you have 20 stitches on every single row after the chain.

Archived