Mod-Popcorn St

ReniC

Question

Does anyone know how to crochet the Modified Popcorn Stitch?

It is in the pattern titled "Cotton Candy Stripes Baby Blanket" in the booklet by LA# 75143, "Baby Fresh Blankets".

Please note: I'm not seeking the blanket pattern, just the stitch.

This link is a closeup of the blanket made by someone else.

11 answers to this question

looks interesting!  is it stripes or do you make the white part first then add the colors?

I looked on the LA site and didn't see any errata for that booklet.  If they completely left out the instructions for the stitch you might try contacting their customer service to get a sttich description.  

It almost looks like a field of white DC was made, then a SC and ?chain? Slip stitch? was made on top of that fabric with the colored yarn.  But, what loops were used to stitch into?   Might have been into the little hole under the DC's stitch tops?   You can see the SCs were made into/around every other DC...maybe a surface SC+slip stitch, variation?  Not very popcorn-y, though.

Hmmm, it's pretty.

edit...looking at the Ravelry projects, I thought looking at the first project that it almost looks like how you make 'wiggly crochet', except with SC, and stitching into the fabric instead of around stitches.  So the tops of the SC and ?chain? are pointing to the ceiling if the blanket is on the bed.  But looking at the other project, I'm not so sure....

magiccrochetfan, on 07 Apr 2016 - 1:51 PM, said:

looks interesting!  is it stripes or do you make the white part first then add the colors?

I looked on the LA site and didn't see any errata for that booklet.  If they completely left out the instructions for the stitch you might try contacting their customer service to get a sttich description.  

Kathy- It is indeed a interesting stitch. I just spent over 2 hours trying to figure this one out- frustrating for a seasoned ol' crochet vet.

So, I went with your suggestion and e-mailed Leisure Arts. I've never had any response from them on previous inquiries, but, maybe this time will be successful.

Granny Square, on 07 Apr 2016 - 3:20 PM, said:

It almost looks like a field of white DC was made, then a SC and ?chain? Slip stitch? was made on top of that fabric with the colored yarn.  But, what loops were used to stitch into?   Might have been into the little hole under the DC's stitch tops?   You can see the SCs were made into/around every other DC...maybe a surface SC+slip stitch, variation?  Not very popcorn-y, though.

Hmmm, it's pretty.

edit...looking at the Ravelry projects, I thought looking at the first project that it almost looks like how you make 'wiggly crochet', except with SC, and stitching into the fabric instead of around stitches.  So the tops of the SC and ?chain? are pointing to the ceiling if the blanket is on the bed.  But looking at the other project, I'm not so sure....

I've tried so many ways. It seems to be in the front loops for the large stitch and maybe (big maybe) the smaller stitch is in the back loop. I'm so curious why it would be called a type of popcorn stitch.

I tried finding the author  Aline Suplinskas on Ravelry for a contact but, haven't yet.

I bet that is very frustrating!

It's bad enough when there are confusing directions, but to leave them out completely is awful.  Does the booklet give any hints at all on how the sttich is done?  

magiccrochetfan, on 07 Apr 2016 - 6:19 PM, said:

I bet that is very frustrating!

It's bad enough when there are confusing directions, but to leave them out completely is awful.  Does the booklet give any hints at all on how the sttich is done?  

oops- Bit of misunderstanding there; I don't have the booklet. I'm trying to make the stitch. Sorry about that.

I received an answer from Leisure Arts this morning! That was quick and much better response than in the past.

The Knit/Crochet Tech explained it's a "slip stitch in first stitch, dc in next stitch "pattern repeated across with the white rows all in double crochet. Hah!- So simple.

I came across a Etsy-UK site last night that had the same blanket and pattern for sale in UK and US terms. She wrote in her description slip stitch, chain and double crochet were the stitches used in the pattern. So, I used that exact pattern and realized when I turned at the end of the row that it was the pattern I sought!

I'm going to try both versions and see which I like best. Thank you for your help in solving this mystery.

I'm glad you got an answer, it is reassuring to know publishers do respond to help requests.

The answer does raise another mysterious question: how in the world can that be considered any kind of a popcorn?????  :2spin  :haha

magiccrochetfan, on 08 Apr 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

I'm glad you got an answer, it is reassuring to know publishers do respond to help requests.

The answer does raise another mysterious question: how in the world can that be considered any kind of a popcorn?????  :2spin  :haha

I know!!!! I laughed too. Isn't it some kind of Grit stitch or something similar?

Granny Square, on 08 Apr 2016 - 1:01 PM, said:

Aha!  So that's what made it seem to 'stand up' and made me think of the wiggly thing.  Interesting!

I'm glad to have a conclusion to the stitch. It always drives me bonkers when I can't figure something out like that.

Archived