Gauge pattern in the round

Minty-Goodness

Question

Hi everyone!

I found this cute skirt that I want to make but I'm having a problem figuring out the gauge.

Open Work Skirt using Caron Simply Soft Shadows; no link available on current website

It's worked from the top down and the first part is worked in rows and then it's connected with a slip stitch and the rest is in the round. The gauge of the pattern is worked in the round. How to I make this gauge? I've only ever made things where the gauge is in rows.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Usually when you make a flat gauge swatch, it's a good idea to make more stitches and than it calls for, because stitches at the edges can be distorted.

I've never needed to do this in crochet, but in knitting it's common to get a different gauge with a plain stitch worked flat versus in the round, so not too unusual.

There's 2 ways to make a swatch in the round. 1) make a tube starting with more than 2x the number of stitches called for in the gauge swatch. 2) uses fewer stitches but is fiddly - work across (again, with more stitches than the gauge swatch calls for), then loosely drag the yarn across the back to the Wright side and make the next round, repeat. This is messy, but keeps the same side facing forward same as working in the round.

I'm sorry, but I had to remove the link in the original post as we do not allow links to patterns found only in the wayback machine (internet archive). We can only allow links to currently active sites where patterns have been posted with permission of the copyright holder.

I replaced the link with the name of the pattern and the yarn used. Caron is now part of the yarnspirations.com family. I searched their website, but couldn't find a current link to the pattern.

If anyone wants to use the wayback machine on their own to locate the pattern, that is totally up to you. We don't have a problem with people using the wayback machine the way any individual would use their local reference library. We just can't effectively be distributing patterns without permission by providing links to the wayback machine when the copyright holders aren't currently making patterns available themselves.

Thanks for understanding!

Archived