Finally Finished!

mrsnjonesjr

YAY! :cheer ​I finally finished my first blanket. The yarn is harvest so I'm not sure why the photos are coming out so pink. It's more orange and moss/dark green. Both with and without the flash look wrong. lol...

Anyway, the hubby has claimed this as HIS blanket! :lol It's really soft and plush and I made it almost as tall as him so he can snuggle in it.

It feels weird to complete a longer project. I don't know what to do with myself now. I need to work on some foundations that don't involve chains. I don't really like to work in a chain to start projects and I think that's why the granny square has been a favorite stitch of mine. (not that I know a lot of stiches yet) :P

post-77137-0-52723000-1459056414_thumb.jpgpost-77137-0-96534800-1459056439_thumb.jpgpost-77137-0-17958400-1459056464_thumb.png

It's beautiful!  You did a great job!!  :)

Now you know that satisfying feeling when a big project is done.  Don't worry about the pics.  I'm horrible at taking pics that capture the true colors of something.  Someone in here told me that to get better pics, take it in natural light.

There is a way to do flat projects without starting with a long chain for the foundation.  It's called foundation stitches.  There is a foundation stitch for sc, hdc, dc, etc. (fsc, fhdc, fdc.)  There are youtube videos that show how to do it, but I've never watched any of them, so I can't tell you which ones are good.  I learned from Marty Miller's "Mastering Foundation Crochet Stitches" at Craftsy.com.  The class does cost, but it goes on sale quite frequently.  There's a sale going on right now for Easter.  I think it's well worth the cost.  Plus, once you have it, it's yours to go back to anytime for a refresher.  She's a wonderful teacher!  The class changed my whole perspective on crocheting and opened up a whole new world for me.

Thank you everyone! And, you know what -  it was snowing when I woke up this morning - perfect weather to gift a blanket.  :yes

@redrosesdz - Thank you for the information on the foundation stitches. I'm going to check that out today. The photos looking in better in natural light was such a good tip. Hubby took some this morning and they look much better.  :cheer

It's beautiful!  You did a great job!!  :)

Now you know that satisfying feeling when a big project is done.  Don't worry about the pics.  I'm horrible at taking pics that capture the true colors of something.  Someone in here told me that to get better pics, take it in natural light.

There is a way to do flat projects without starting with a long chain for the foundation.  It's called foundation stitches.  There is a foundation stitch for sc, hdc, dc, etc. (fsc, fhdc, fdc.)  There are youtube videos that show how to do it, but I've never watched any of them, so I can't tell you which ones are good.  I learned from Marty Miller's "Mastering Foundation Crochet Stitches" at Craftsy.com.  The class does cost, but it goes on sale quite frequently.  There's a sale going on right now for Easter.  I think it's well worth the cost.  Plus, once you have it, it's yours to go back to anytime for a refresher.  She's a wonderful teacher!  The class changed my whole perspective on crocheting and opened up a whole new world for me.

post-77137-0-61258600-1459095700_thumb.jpg

post-77137-0-57285300-1459095716_thumb.jpg

Well, if I do they better be extremely patient people because I'm SLLLLOOOOWWWW!  :lol

Plus, It's expensive to make a blanket. I couldn't believe how much I paid in yarn and supplies and some where on clearance. :reyes

Awesome! Get ready for many requests!!!

The natural light pics turned out great!

Yes, making things is often as expensive or more expensive than buying off the rack/shelf.  That doesn't include the cost of time at all.  I'm amazed whenever someone suggests that I made something to save money.  It's not about the cost, it's about the love that's put into making it.

If you're lucky enough to live near the big box stores (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, Michaels), then check all of their coupons.  They all take competitor coupons.  I use the biggest discount, regardless of which store I visit.  Salvation Army, Goodwill, yard and estate sales all sell yarn for really cheap, when they have it.

It is very nice, and very snuggly looking!!!

Oh, beckyb - It's so SNUGGY! It's that blanket yarn. So squishly.  :yes

Very nice!  Yeah, I learned the hard way that the flash 'bulb' is not my friend (usually).

Yeah, the flash made my blanket look so strange and bright...lol :lol

The natural light pics turned out great!

Yes, making things is often as expensive or more expensive than buying off the rack/shelf.  That doesn't include the cost of time at all.  I'm amazed whenever someone suggests that I made something to save money.  It's not about the cost, it's about the love that's put into making it.

If you're lucky enough to live near the big box stores (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, Michaels), then check all of their coupons.  They all take competitor coupons.  I use the biggest discount, regardless of which store I visit.  Salvation Army, Goodwill, yard and estate sales all sell yarn for really cheap, when they have it.

Thank you! The photos look so much better. Great tip! I do have all the major "box" stores by me, however, Michaels is the closest to me and wouldn't take my other coupons.  :cry  I wonder if it matters what store/employee you get.

That looks great.  It is so rewarding to finish a large project.

Yes! It is Tampa Doll. It's my first "large" project and I like the feeling so much I haven't started on anything else big. Plus, I can't decide what I want to do next. So many patterns so little time.  :D  :D

I'm amazed whenever someone suggests that I made something to save money.  It's not about the cost, it's about the love that's put into making it.

If they only knew how much something we crochet actually costs to make--they would be amazed!!

Archived